BOOKMARK BINGO - WE HAVE A WINNER!

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

LadyS

Re: BOOKMARK BINGO - OCT 11th numbers are up!

Post by LadyS »

I got a cute story about it too, although it might be a bit long.

These books are not too well known in my country, in fact, they're rare in bookstores over there, and some only carry the original, hard to find a Portuguese version.

Anyway, when I was 8 or 9 I found Little House in the Big Woods in the school library and loved it. I read the first 3 books but didn't find any more of them, and then with time I forgot completely about it.

Then when I was 13 I caught myself thinking about Laura and their wood cabin, and I couldn't remember the name of the book. Nobody I asked knew about it either and I actually started thinking it was a dream, especially because my parents have a farm in the Amazon, where I spent most of my vacations at, and as a child it was very rustic, we only had generators, and our manager's wife used to make cheese, bake bread, etc. Top that with the fact we're both Laura and I became convinced I dreamed a version of my own experiences and turned it into a story.

Fast forward a few more years and I was 16, and living in Arizona as an exchange student, and one day me and my foster sister were looking for something in a closet and there it was, a stack of books with blue covers. I instantly remembered them and eagerly read the entire series. I was so excited to have found them again!

A few years later, back in Brasil I looked all over the place and on the net to buy my own collection but couldn't find it. It wasn't until I moved to Puerto Rico and got married at 26 that I finally managed to snag the entire series in that same blue cover edition off e-bay. :dance:
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

That is too funny Laura! Gosh, now I want to go buy them for my Kindle so I can reread them! My mother and I wore out the paperback set we had, we read them so often... :D
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS
Lovers, Christmas Fairy, Goblins Fae Guide, Autumn Pears, Ride the Wind, Chimera Black Rose, Surfers Dream, Witching Hour, QS Nostlagy, Lg Treasure Hunt Bookshelf, Owen

Chatelaine
Konstantinople Hamam, Serengeti, Alpine Seasons
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Did ya'll know that someone wrote a series about Laura Ingel's mother Caroline as a child? I never read them, but saw them at Books a Million years ago when I was looking in the Children's book section for grandchildren type books. I remember thinking that I should buy them, but then didn't and haven't thought about it since then. Anyone ever read them? I am sure I would have loved them as a child too. I loved all those types of books.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

Drats, they aren't available for Kindle... :(

I never heard about the other books Carole. I wonder if they were any good.
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS
Lovers, Christmas Fairy, Goblins Fae Guide, Autumn Pears, Ride the Wind, Chimera Black Rose, Surfers Dream, Witching Hour, QS Nostlagy, Lg Treasure Hunt Bookshelf, Owen

Chatelaine
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

Okay not in this bingo but am loving looking at all the book marks.
I own the #37 "hold that thought" book and infact it is where my very first finished project came from!! I love it!! A bunch of great patterns and then some REALLY cute kid patterns!

Some of those HAED look wider than my books ahaha
I love to read and have enjoyed your reading stories as well!!

I too had a book where I couldn't find the name and thought I was crazy. A co-worker told me about this site...i think...its abes books but they have a forum on there called booksleuth. You go on...post about what year you read the book the age group it is targeted to and the plot and any information you can...and they search and find the title. Oh my it is amazing how quickly you can get repsonse. I had thought my book was forever gone...but nope thanks to book sleuth I found it, so if you ever need to find a book you can try it out there.
kell

Post by kell »

Ooh! I'm suddenly up to 5!

(PS I loved the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder too!)
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

No more for me :x
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
Ketta

Post by Ketta »

The Laura Ingalls Wilder books were staples for me too, as a kid. I loved them dearly and got a whole set for my birthday when I was 8. I read them several times and always wondered why there weren't more like them. Some of the strangest things stick in my mind, too, like making maple syrup and dribbling the hot syrup in the snow to make a sweet treat. I think the series set the stage for me in what I appreciate in life; the little things. I don't think I've read them since I was about 13, so waiting 25 years is long enough.. time to read them again. :)

I'd love to know what the books about Caroline are called, as I'd really like to pick them up. I'll do some looking (if no one has found them) when I get home from classes today.

P.S. please pick some of my numbers today!!!! *giggle*
Blog: http://ketta-ketta.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=12786" target="_blank" target="_blank (bug)

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=13419" target="_blank (Serenity)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I just "googled" them on Amazon.com and there they are: Little House: The Caroline Years.
should be in a bookstore too. If anyone finds them and reads them, let me know if they are any good. I think I am going to go to the used bookstore and see if he has any of them. Will let you know.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

Nice to know there are so many Little House fans. They are indeed adorable!

So here's the one question I didn't ask about books, and it's the basic one: What are you reading right now? :D

I'm reading book 2 of A Song of Ice and Fire, A Clash of Kings, by George R R Martin. Loving it!

And here are today's picks ... #2, #9 and #17!

#2 Passion is another themed HAED like the Magic one that already came out as a pick.

#9 Blossoms-Law is an abstract-ish HAED Storykeep, that reminds me of a celtic knot.

#17 is the Gossamer Princess by Fenech.

We got quite a few people with bingo chances tomorrow! I thought today was gonna be the day and my number baggy is almost empty but the numbers drawn and picked this bingo have been quite odd!

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
OctoberLace

Re: BOOKMARK BINGO - OCT 12th picks!

Post by OctoberLace »

One more, so I'm at 9. As for books, I'm reading The Parasol Protectorate on my Kindle and just started listening to A Song of Ice and Fire - The Game of Thrones on my iPod. Theresa
OctoberLace
Active WIPs:
Gigi R's Belles-Lettres D
HAED Angel with Iris (Strelkina)
Pelin Tezer's Berlin Work Sampler
HAED Sistine Chapel
Blog: http://octoberlace.blogspot.com/
Katiespark

Post by Katiespark »

Woo-hoo! All 3 today, taking me from 4 to 7. Are there going to be 2 or 3 picks tomorrow? :)

Right now I am reading The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks. Really neat sci-fi-ish book about the prevalence of technology and people who are able to project their neural energy beyond this dimension.
Katie
North Carolina, USA

WIPs:
Little Snap Dragon
Sweet Dreams (Anderson) -HAED
Allessandra Adelaide CT13

Recent Finishes
...yeah... about that... :lol:
Katiespark

Post by Katiespark »

Woo-hoo! All 3 today, taking me from 4 to 7. Are there going to be 2 or 3 picks tomorrow? :)

Right now I am reading The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks. Really neat sci-fi-ish book about the prevalence of technology and people who are able to project their neural energy beyond this dimension.
Katie
North Carolina, USA

WIPs:
Little Snap Dragon
Sweet Dreams (Anderson) -HAED
Allessandra Adelaide CT13

Recent Finishes
...yeah... about that... :lol:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

1 for me takes me to 7 too. I am also just starting to listen to the Game of Thrones on my iPod. Just finished listening to Cleopatra's Daughter. And reading Stephanie Barron's latest Jane Austen mystery: Jane and the Canterbury Tale. Also just finished Miranda James "Classified as Murder".

now I'm off to the used book store to see what I can find.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
mechie

Post by mechie »

None again, so still at 7.

I actually just finished The Short Victorious War by David Weber last night. It's book 3 of his Honor Harrington books (On Basilisk Station and The Honor of the Queen are the first two). Military sci-fi with a strong female protagonist and a good read for an action/adventure story. I may start book 4 next (Field of Dishonor) or I may get something else for my nook since I have some gift cards to spend.

mechie
WIP:
The Elementals (HAED) - Finished 9/42 Pages
Fall Fairy (Dimensions Gold) - Finished 4/4 Pages only backstitch left!
Springtime Roses Freebie (Chatelaine)
The Encounter - Finished 3/24 Pages (HAED)
destructiveernie

Post by destructiveernie »

I'm up to 8 I think!!

I'm currently reading, and hope to finish tonight, April Fools Day by Byrce Courtenay.
This is completely different from his other stuff and tells the true story of his son's life, born a haemophiliac and contracted AIDS from a blood transfusion. Its called April Fools Day because he died on April 1st.

The book essentially start with his death in the first chapter but then goes to his birth and his life. I hope to finish it tonight as the OH is working and I suspect there will be tears as it comes to the end.
Emma

WIP:
HAED Faery Tales
Tilton Crafts - MCM Olde Worlde Map
HAED QS Lady Bug
Ink Circles The Bramble and the Rose
HAED Sistine Chapel
HAED Butterfly Wood
HAED SAL Teddy Bear Tree
Lucy - Charted by Skitzzzz
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

Ooh, two more for me so I'm at 9! :)
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS

Chatelaine
Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

2 today, so I'm at 6

I've just started The Villa by Nora Roberts. When I listen to my ipod, I'm listening to The Brethern by John Grisham.
WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

mechie wrote:None again, so still at 7.

I actually just finished The Short Victorious War by David Weber last night. It's book 3 of his Honor Harrington books (On Basilisk Station and The Honor of the Queen are the first two). Military sci-fi with a strong female protagonist and a good read for an action/adventure story. I may start book 4 next (Field of Dishonor) or I may get something else for my nook since I have some gift cards to spend.

mechie
Ooooo This one sounds really interesting! Never heard of it! Gonna have to go to my wish list!! :dance: :dance:

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

1 for me today I'm at 7/10

I'm currenty reading Gravity by Tess Gerritsen, a dark thriller about a researcher on a space station and deadly microbes. Only just started this one and I've never read any Gerritsen books before (this is a recommendation by my FIL) but the first three chapters have set up the relationships between the characters really well....can't wait to get to the dark stuff.....I love to be spooked out!!
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon