Wye needlecraft

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Angel

Wye needlecraft

Post by Angel »

Just out of curiosity...has anyone visited Wye needlecraft before? It's out in bakewell... We discovered bakewell last week, but we got there very late with no money, so we didn't have a proper looksee, but today we went earlier and took our lovely nosey Doggy, who was very overwhealmed by it all. It's the most dog friendly village in the world, but it's market day and he was very confused by the business of it all and the sheer volume of people. Once we left the market we went for a looksee around the town and came across Wye Needlecraft...WOW! Words simply cannot describe it! It is the MOST wonderful shop in the whole wide world! Seriously, forget stitching shows, go to this place! I can't recommend it enough! I was there only for ten minutes and came out with eyes as big as saucers, my jaw trailing on the floor and wishing I had a lot more money than I actually do! I did walk away with two skiens of hand dyed silks though:
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Wye needlecraft

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I've heard of it and visited their website but we don't live near enough tomake it feasible to visit, alas :-( so a stitching show will have todo for me :-)
Glad you had such a great visit!
Are they Stef Francis silks?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Angel

Post by Angel »

Mabel...how the heck did you know which brand I bought? psychic or just have that many threads yourelf that you can tell from the crappy mobile phone picture? (yes they are)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Beautiful thread. Wish I had a place like that near me. Then again, maybe its a good thing I am limited to Michaels and AC Moore which have mostly nothing. One day, maybe, I'll be able to take an overseas stash shopping trip. That can go on my wish list too. :lol: :lol:

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:wub: wow very pretty, what a lucky girl you are to have a shop near that carries beautiful threads like that!!! :dance:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Carole

Post by Carole »

Ooh, they're very pretty Angel.

I had a jaw-dropping moment in one shop when I was on holiday a couple of years ago. They had a stand with all the Crescent colours and Gentle Arts on. I was positively drooling :wub:

How lovely that your shop is in a dog friendly place too though. Seems like a perfect excuse to go back :wink:
Current WIPs
Precious Dreams
Crazy cat lady
Previous WIPs
Previous WIPs

Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

:-D no, not psychic -- just quite recognisable labels :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Lizzieh

Post by Lizzieh »

That's really funny Angel. My mum has just been on holiday up that way and she has been going on and on about this shop she found in Bakewell. Now I know why.
Liz

WIPIn rotation
Quick Stitch Tulips
Egyptian heart
Pretty pastels
Peek a boo

UFO
HAED storykeep

2014 finishes
Parent's garden
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Hi there
We have good friends in Chesterfield who we go to see 2 or 3 times a year. Last time we went I had to suggest a trip to Bakewell specifically to go to Wye Needlecraft and am I gald we did!!! You are right Angel, it's like you've died and gone to Heaven :wub: ! Loads of kits and lovely stuff downstairs and upstairs more threads, beads, fabric etc. etc than you knew existed, and the staff are SO nice!! I had my two little girls with me and the lady behind the counter made such a fuss of them, even though they were getting a bit bored and unruly. Luckily, hubby took them to the (nearly as equally fabulous) toy and jigsaw shop over the road letting me have a good mooch around in peace. I really loved all the made up projects hanging up everywhere, all up the stairs and around the walls. It inspired me to get started on my Lavender and Lace Celtic Christmas (for which I'm trying unsucessfully to get photobucket to cooperate so I can start a SAL). Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) it was the wrong side of payday, or I could easilt have come out heavily laden. As it was, our friends treated my six-year-od to a little hedgehog tapestry kit which she is doing now. It's a good job I don't live closer, as I would have even less money than I've already got!!!
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
KerryT

Post by KerryT »

:D Me too I love that shop but its hard work persuading my family to go to Bakewell because they know they will be bored with I go made in the needlework shop :P
ImageImageImage
Angel

Post by Angel »

I can't wait to do some stitching with my new threads!

LOL at everyone else. Don't worry, next time you fancy going to Wye Needlecraft, just message me, you can let your friends and family go do their thing while we go and look in the shop. I'm lucky and cursed because the bus to Bakewell stops virtually outside my house so I can head on over whenever the whim strikes. Ooooh all those threads! Guess what my newly returned deposit money is going on?
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

Sounds a little like Victoria House or the The Tapestry Studio in NSW, Australia. Both fabulous places for stitchers 8}
Myst..
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

This morning I was looking online for a cross stitch kit of a fine art painting of a vase of flowers that I fell in love with months ago on a website but didn't order at the time. I tried the same website but there was a problem with it so I googled said design and Wye Needlecraft have the pattern available for download. Woohoo!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Now all I need to do is justify to myself why I need - yes, NEED! - yet another large pattern that I won't have time to do. :roll: Oh well, we're all allowed one vice in life and this is mine. :lol:
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest