Getting confused when stitching.

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Angel

Getting confused when stitching.

Post by Angel »

Ok, so I'm stitching this really cute bear design kit and it's pretty confusing. See The bear is made up of white, cream, light beige and beige plus there's another shade of white for his hat. >_< So I get my whites and cream mixed up and my beiges mixed up. While I'm actually stitching with them. (Doesn't matter so much when getting them off the bobbin.)

My sister has suggested that I should only ever use one cotton at a time. Do all the whites, then do all the creams and so on. But when I was little my gramma told me to just follow the pattern. Like three white, one cream, four whites, light red, six red... etc.

What do you guys think? Should I just do one at a time or keep muddling through the way my gramma taught me?
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I tend to do the block of color until I run out of thread or the block is done. It' sounds like your sister is recommending working in rows. I know some people do that but I've never been able to do is as I get all tangled up in the threads. Try making a copy of your pattern and highlighting the boxes that you've done. That will also help you keep track.

If you are having trouble differentiating between the colors then take the colors into a strong light, preferrably sunlight, and sort them out. If the kit doesn't give you numbers just names, then label each with the symbol for that color. That should help as your searching through.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

It all comes down to what you find works for you.
I always start in the middle of the project.
Pick a colour and work all that colour close to the starting point.
I will then spread out using just one colour again.
I do not cross over more than 4-5 stitches across the back, and only if the carried thread will be covered by other crosses.
All of us on the forum work in different ways, there is a thread called working multi coloured areas further down in the tips section, have a read and see what you think, also look at any W.I.P threads, very good at showing the different methods used.
Try the methods out on small projects and freebies, you will find your favorite way :D
Angel

Post by Angel »

Yes, I'm working on the freebies that are comming with magizines and I'm reading the magazines and picking out tips before I eventually work on the project I really want to do.

No, I'm working in rows now like my gramma taught me. My sister is suggesting working in colours. Completing all the white dots first then all the cream ones.

I'm having trouble seeing the different shades at the moment. They all look white to me. I've had to use my art pen and colour the tip of the light beige and I got a knot in my white thread so it's shorter than the rest. so all I get confused with now is my cream and beige. I don't think working in rows is a very good idea. But I don't really know how else to work. The stitching mags I'm looking at are showing me stitches and giving me tips but not actually telling me how to work. So I don't really know any other methods.

Thank you. I'll go look at the W.I.P threads.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Angel,
I'll post a picture to my flickr account of both the one I'm working and and the chart that goes with it. Hopefully if I scan it I'll be able to get close enough for you to see the method.
Stay tuned.
Alyson
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Hi Angel, I will have them in my flickr but think I can get them in here too. The flickr though will give you the ability to enlarge.

The stitched piece

The marked up chart

If that didn't work here's the flickr account
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10113776@N04/[/img]

It's a little tough to see here but in the main account you can enlarge and see where I've marked off the chart following what I've stitched. For me, working though but following the same color up to the next row until I either run out of thread or the block of color is done, works best.

Does that help?
Last edited by lacemaker2004 on Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I found that you can double click on the image and it enlarge right here.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

My method of working looks pretty much the same as yours Alyson, following logical lines with one colour :)
I am still working on the snow on Sacred Connection, long, long, lines of white :shock:
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

We should switch off.......I'm getting pretty tired of green....though don't tell Lacey, my parrotlet! :lol:
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

i do the exact same thing..i photocopy the pattern and work in blocks of color...to the best it makes sense to me as i go, then mark off w/ a highlighter...

one thing..be careful when using highlighters..not to drag your hand across the page then on your stitching..i did that one time..had a faint lime green tinge to my fabric ...lol..

now i also use a paper towel go between my hand and fabric when holding a hoop or qsnap...

wow i rambled...must put down the coffee mug :lol:
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Angel

Post by Angel »

I use my art pens to mark off my copied patern. It dries really fast.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Hi JaymsFA. It seems to me your difficulty stems from jumping into your project without getting organised. Whether you stitch using logical blocks of colour (which is what I do, too) or whether you stitch line by line, you will still have the same problems with your colours if you don't get sorted (*sorry* :P ).

Might I suggest laying out your colours, making sure you understand which colours are which. Most designs will generally give you hints by telling you how many threads of any particular colour you have. Once you are sure you know which colour is which, snip about half an inch from the thread and use tape to attach it to the list of colours. Then there is no confusion about which colour is which.

As you progress in stitching, you might find bobbins very helpful, too. All my thread is on numbered bobbins.

Anyway, we have all made mistakes with colours sometime or another. It's usually not a big deal!
Rose

Post by Rose »

The girls are giving you some very good advise and I can only repeat what they have said.

Your grandma has a point in working the pattern as the colors are laid out, but only if that works for you. What I mean is, that is as good a way to stitch as any but only if it is comfortable for you. It seems that with this current project it is not going to work, to many similar colors to try to keep track of. If you are having trouble with the colors all looking the same when they are on the needle then a different plan of attack is required. I would pick the color with the biggest section of stitches and I would stitch all that are in that section. A good rule is to not carry the color more then 3 to 5 stitches on the back. Then go to the next largest color section in the same area and so on and so on. I also ALWAYS make a copy of the pattern and with a very sharp pencil mark a slash through the squares that I have stitched. I personally use the pencil so that if I have to frog (remove stitches) then I can erase the stitches that are marked off and start over again. (If you are having trouble with our terms there is a thread named "Glossary Terms" it is in the "General Section" it should help a bit.

You can stitch in anyway you want to it is a personal thing and everyone has to find what works for them. You may find that a combination of what your grandma taught you and what your sister suggest is what will work for you. Just remember it has to be fun or else you will find yourself quitting and that is not what anyone wants. Take a deep breath and figure out what is going to be the best for you to finish this project and then go for it. There is no right or wrong.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Yes, you are absolutely right, Rose. Apologies if I sounded a bit, well, preachy, but just trying to help. It's so easy to get excited about a project and leap right in! The mantra for most stitchers is: "Count twice, cut once". So you see where I'm coming from.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Well, what do I know, eh? I've just opened a little DMC bookmark design. Only has three colours, so I thought it would be a breeze. WELL. They are three variegated colours, and while the darker thread is easy enough to differentiate, the other two colours are shades of cream and blue. Can I really tell which is which? Eeerrr, not really. Does the chart give me any hint as to amounts of thread in the kit for each colour? NO it doesn't.

The chomping sound is Serinde eating her words. (nom nom nom). :oops:
Rose

Post by Rose »

Oh Serinde we know that you were only trying to help. It is hard to express feelings in a written format and sometime we are misinturpreted. I have had this happen and then had to reply and make an apology and explain I was only trying to help.

As for the threads I have had that type of problem with kits before also. That is why I don't do lots of kits.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Angel

Post by Angel »

hehe don't worry about it. Yeah, my kit hasn't told me how many of each colour either.

Here's another question, will it show on the final image if I suddenly switch from rows to blocks?
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

It shouldn't make a difference, especially if you are careful with the tension (trying not to pull too tightly when you stitch).
Angel

Post by Angel »

Oh, ok, that's cool then. My current piece is still pretty stiff so my tension is pretty even whilst I'm working at the moment.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

That is good to hear :D
Well done :D :D