About to start a big project, need tips!

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

lillq848

About to start a big project, need tips!

Post by lillq848 »

I am about to start a new project that is huge, it's a 15 page pattern. It also has 83 colors and it seems like any given symbol only lasts 5-10 stitches before switching to the next which I'm worried about.
I've done a few projects but never one this big and I'm looking for any tips more experienced stitchers may have, anything from whether I should use a hoop or scroll frame, how to organize my floss, etc. Thanks for any help you can offer!!
Rose

Re: About to start a big project, need tips!

Post by Rose »

I say just take it one stitch at a time.

As for what to use well what do you normally stitch with. Whatever you are comfortable with. Do you normally us a hoop then stay with it. I have never gotten on with a scroll, but others are so happy with them it is a personal thing.

I have a floss box for each projec that I work on, with my floss bobbins in them if the same color is used on different kitted projects then I will leave it in my first project and just put a stitcky note telling me were that color is located.

Some like to grid their projects to help with counting. I personally don't do this but that is just me.

Others like to use the parking method to work their large pieces. You can find help for both of these suggestions by doing a search and see what comes up and I am sure others will add tips for you.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

On a project that size, especially if you are a cross country stitcher, I would grid. It makes mistakes more obvious more quickly.

I don't think it makes a big difference what you use to hold your project as long as you are comfortable with it. You may want to use some bull clips to tuck the extra fabric out of the way (take them off when you aren't stitching so they don't mark or leave creases).

I use stitchbows and a binder to sort my threads (I keep all of my project together in one). I've never felt the need to park but I've never done a project with a lot of confetti on it ... I can see myself parking with lots of confetti.
Myst..
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

A big project is still one stitch at a time as Rose said. I grid on bigger projects (which I learned about here) especially if there is a lot of confetti. I keep my thread in bobbins and keep track of where the bobbins are if I have a lot of projects going by using a spreadsheet. And being patient with yourself and going at a pace that makes sense for you. Come here for encouragement. Remember that it is the process as well as the end product that you are enjoying.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Heather

Post by Heather »

I am doing a project roughly the same size right now... my first large project! In addition, my first non-kit project.

I bought a scroll frame, I also bought a q-snap. Kept going back to my trusty hoop though - and haven't had a problem pulling the stitches out or roughing them up at all. The hoop does somewhat squish them, but this is only temporary and they pop back up - especially if you iron it often like I do.

I found that for that amount of colours (I have 90 colours, but some of the colours have multiple skeins) I really liked bobbins. I am using DMC thread and they make little stickers you stick on the plastic bobbins to label the thread numbers - much easier to keep organized. I also find it looks pretty tidy. Then the bobbins go in one of those clear plastic boxes with the compartments.

I haven't gridded fabric yet... in confetti-heavy areas it is sometimes very hard/time consuming trying to find my place again, so I might consider it in the future. Bit I am also doing 18 count fabric, so it's easy to pull out my mistakes. I've read that on smaller count fabric it's really hard. After reading this I'm considering parking too... haven't tried it but I'm surely wasting more thread anchoring and finishing off each time for just a single stitch.

Good luck and have fun! Hopefully you get a great idea of how many options are out there - one thing I've learned here is there are no rules!

- Edited to add: I agree with the poster above about using clips to keep fabric out of your way. Right now I've got the hoop in the centre of my fabric, then the sides of the fabric rolled up like a scroll and held there with those grippy hair clips.
WIP:
Universe In A Jar (HAED) 07/08/12
Finishes:
Sunflower Bee (HAED)
steptash

Post by steptash »

I started my biggest project yet about a month ago now it has 30 pages and 90 colours i use a scroll frame as that is what i always use my daughter on the other hand doesn't like them and uses a hoop.

My threads are on bobbins and in a box of there own keeps them clean and tidy and easy to find.

I haven't gridded yet as i find the lines distracting but it is one stitch at a time i cross country and then tidy the back as needed although as i don't look at the back i don't worry too much about this.

As others have said there are no rules it is whatever you are happy doing.
Claire

The homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only - and that is to support the ultimate career. -C.S. Lewis

WIP:
Schim Schimmel Leap of creation started 29-1-12
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

Definitely stick with whatever you're happy with. I'm doing a HAED and an SQ which is 18 pages with 130 colours, all then blended :shock: I've always stitched in hand and have stuck with that with no problems. For colour storage, I prepare floss cards with the number and symbol for each floss written beside each hole and I find it quite easy to keep track of then.

Personally I've never gridded - I'm just too impatient. I tend to find that in any area I'm working on, there's usually a noticeable colour that I can use as a reference point on the chart to work out where I am.

As everyone says, it's just one cross at a time, whether your chart is 1 or 100 pages long.
WIP
Rose Window
SQ Sunday afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte - pgs 1-3 complete
HAED Curl up with a Good Book
Around the World in 80 Stitches - pts 1-12 complete
Mabel's SOTW - Jan-June complete
HAED BB Sal
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I love big projects, have done quite a few in the past, and have just started an HAED. What everyone has said is spot on.
*one stitch at a time
*collect all your materials into one place, be it a storage box or rings or bags
*have available quite a few needles - this makes threading so much easier. If you have a Pako organiser, great, but you can slip a threaded needle between the thread and bobbin
*I use fine water-eraseable marker pens and sort of grid as I go (reliably counting to ten can be a challenge occasionally)... this allows me to follow exactly the gridding on the designs. (I did roughly grid each page for the HAED, though.)

A big piece offers big rewards and satisfaction. Also be aware that you'll get fed up at various points. The answer there is to stitch something completely different, and small! Really, just have fun with it.
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

I agree with all the above and particularly with what Serinde says about having an easier pattern on the go as well for when you get a bit tired of looking at the same design day in day out. It's far better than losing the stitchy bug altogether!

Good luck with it, and I'm looking forward to some update piccies. :D
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

babyjazz

Post by babyjazz »

I label floss bags with the dmc # and symbol written of the outside of the bag with a sharpie. After placing the thread in the proper bags I put them on a large metal hoop, in the order of the color number, so I can turn them easily. I have an unfinished big project that had tons of colors in and I tried the parking method, but didn't seem to do that very well, so I will be interested at the answers posted here. Good Luck! :shamrock:
GILLIAN

Post by GILLIAN »

Hi

I just started my first really big project a couple of months ago, I have 115 colours and 82 pages, it's a HEAD large print one so I don't know how this compares to normal print.

I use a floor stand because there is 1.5m of fabric and that would be too much for me to have hanging about. I also grid, using an air soluble pen which disappears in a couple of hours so not marking the fabric.

My sister told me to look at 1 page at a time which I am finding really helpful and focus on each 10 square at a time so as not to get intimidated by the size of the project.

I've also started parking and what a difference with the confetti stitching, but this has taken a bit of time getting used to.

I would say that if it's a project you love then you'll find your own way of comforable stitching after trying out a few.

I hope you enjoy it

Gillian x