So you know how people have this idea about cross stitch?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Angel

So you know how people have this idea about cross stitch?

Post by Angel »

Well I came into work today armed with magnets so I can store my needles in my box nice and neatly. And we got into a discussion on sewing and he had a pretty poor view on it, so I whipped out my WIP and showed him it. He got quieter but once he found out there was a forum started up again so I took him onto the gallerys here and showed him some finished, large, complex pieces you guys have done. Guess what?

My boss has a whole new respect for cross stitch ^_^

He can't believe how talented some of you are :P
Rose

Post by Rose »

Well some people just don't understand what it is that we do until they try it or loot and see how advanced it has become over the last 20 or more years. Good for you showing him what we can do.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Angel

Post by Angel »

I also had to teach him how to read a chart because he couldn't fathom that either. Good fun. ^_^
Rose

Post by Rose »

Sounds as if you are training him well.
Angel

Post by Angel »

he'll never take it up, but I was so not going to let him roll his eyes at it :P But yeah, it's all you guys, I showed him peoples galleries that aren't mine.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

The man obviously has good taste. But then he employs you so that proves it!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tripletvn

Post by tripletvn »

To me beyond the beauty of the works when finished, especially when they are gifts, cross-stitching really helps me be patient and careful. Also when I cross stitch, it is really a relaxing time and I almost forget all blues. The only thing is that, we don't have enough time to stitch when we are young, and when we get older, we should not stitch too much (for eyes, back, etc.), sooooo.... the long-long-long waiting list could never end :D
Becca

Post by Becca »

A couple of people i know gave cross stitch a go, and it gave them a whole new respect for people who do it, they didn't realise before just how much time and work goes into a small piece like a card.
Click the banner above to visit us at Crafts 'n' Creatures!

And my blog which is full of all my stitching
Angel

Post by Angel »

When I was little my gramma always used to send me and my sister big bags full of presents. A cross stitch kit was usually included in there. Only I was never really bothered about it. Funny how things change. I'm only 20 so I'm still young enough to have the back and eyesight for it, and with my job I have hours on hours to just sit by myself and amuse myself. I choose forums and cross stitching.

My grammas getting too old for it now. She doesn't have the eyesight for it (At the moment she's very ill and is living on the sofa in the living room of her and my aunts house). But she's going to give me a whole load of threads and she's still got some old kits she'd bought for me and my sister but had never included in the bags at christmas.

I suffer from an attention deffecit (or rather anyone who meets me suffers from it), and cross stitch is really good for me because it keeps me calm and focused. I can't ever remember staying this calm and focused for so long, but cross-stitch always keeps me good. Even when I'm stressing and fuming, stabbing aida with a needle is a very good way to calm down :wink:

Woo my thread heaven came today!
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

It is amazing the response that you get from people. I'm a pusher, always trying to get people interested. What is the saddest thing for me is when people respond they couldn't do anything so tedious. Tedious??? Watching tv for hours is tedious. Watching the movie rather than reading the book is tedious.
Guess I'm tedious..............
Angel

Post by Angel »

*sigh* lovely, but you know, I bet they don't think a drawing is tedious?
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I just wonder about what people do. Now, while I don't do much during the week since once I get home, feed the birds, play with the puppies and cook dinner, it's too much of eyeball time.

I was just talking with some guys today about being on medical for four weeks a few years back and how tough it became to come back to work. I spent most of the four weeks stitching. Definitely keeps me lusting after a different job.
Angel

Post by Angel »

*hides her job*
I love work...when it's not horrible weather. You know what shocks me. The reaction I get when I say "I don't have a television." It's like the only thing worth doing is tv. I don't have the net at my place either like and people are like o_O But what DO you do?
Because you know that's the only thing in life worth doing apparently. Well I draw, I play with my pets, I read, I write, I have penpals with actual letters... and now I cross stitch. And they...like watching tv and listening to music. *nods* I pity them.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I guess maybe I've got a different view these days. I must admit to spending my evenings with the tv on.....most don't really keep my attention and half the time I leave in the middle of show. After all day in meetings and on the computer stitching is out of the picture. I can't say that I'm reading highly intellectural stuff, mostly fluff but it helps me sleep. The weekends are full of stitching and lace and critters and house stuff. Too many thing and not enough time during the week

Though this weekend is a lace ladies luncheon. Should be lots of good eats, good gossip and giggles.
Angel

Post by Angel »

I can never find anything worth watching that isn't a repeat. So I just watch DVDs when I eventually do watch something. I have a monitor so I can't recieve TV signals, but I can watch DVDs.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Well I like the noise that the TV gives me but if I just sit and watch it puts me to sleep. I have to stitch or crochet.

I have my favorite shows but if I have to miss it it is not the end of the world. And of course I love my football and hockey.
Angel

Post by Angel »

I don't get American football. I don't get why it's called football either. But you know... I like baseball and cheerleading.

I get my programs on DVD eventually. So missing them's no big deal. I like background noise, but I'd rather use a sterio than tv.
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I will admit it, I am in a 12 step program

"My name in Linda and I am a TV-aholic"

There now the whole world knows. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

It is the only way I can stitch. If it isnt on I fall asleep with my neelde in my hand and more often than not, in the fabric (at least I am not sitting on it :shock:)
Linda
mags

Post by mags »

I like to have the tv on.

My only problem is that I am short sighted so I need my specs to see the tv, but not to stitch so I am a bit like a nodding donkey with specs perched on the end of my nose, head up to see the tv and right down to see my stitching. :roll:

I am going to the opticians next week and hope to do something about it :lol:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I get tea time over, everybody goes off to do what they do best, computers,playing guitar, singing etc, I curl up in a ball with my stitching in hand and laptop nearby, grab the remote and find something to watch, last week it was Megastructures and Big Cat Diary, had me on the edge of my seat with little Toto :( love it if there is a good film on too.
You are in good company Linda :D