Shopping advice.

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

~threadbear~

Shopping advice.

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Hi everyone,
I'm hoping for a bit of advice here.
I keep all my spare kits in a big plastic folder, but it's getting rather full to bursting, so I decided I'm going to have a little sort out.
I've been reading through threads seeing how each of you keep your work and looking at any pictures etc, but I still have a few questions.

I keep my spare threads/floss as it comes and in a plastic bag, but I noticed alot of you use these plastic bobbins, so I'm wondering what the advantages of that is. The one I thought of was that if you had one spare thread after a project you could add it to the correct bobbin. Also, i've seen plastic bobbins and something else, can't remember the name, but it looks like the floss just slips on in the shape it's in, so no winding or anything. If you know what I mean, I was wondering which is the best way for keeping the skeins.

Also, I can easily get a nice big storage box with a lid to keep my kits etc in, but I would love a nice box with a handle for my WIP with compartments for scissors, pencil etc and a nice roomy section for the ongoing project. Can anyone suggest anything that would suit? At the moment I keep it in a plastic wallet, but its not a good way really. Everything is getting crumpled. :oops:

I'm not very near any good shops for anything sewing related, so I would probably need to get this from the internet.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
:D
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Hi, I wind my treads onto bobbins. I think the thing that you use to slip the entire skein on is a DMC stitch bow. I've got some but never used them as I bought them for my Perle skeins and they weren't big enough so they languish in the drawer! :shock: All my stash is kept in one of those plastic drawer arrangements. Cheap and cheerful from a hardware store! Threads are in double sided boxes that were originally meant for screws.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Yes, they are called stitchbows. See how much money you can spend here: http://www.dmc-usa.com/majic/pageServer ... stems.html

I use these sorts of boxes for my thread: http://www.sewandso.co.uk/cgi-bin/find/ ... ch_results
I have various sizes. Two for the entire collection (so far!) and one for large-ish projects. I wind thread onto paper (well, cardboard, really) bobbins, and that seems to work fine.

The real trick is to find a system that is convenient, which my stacked rush baskets are not. However, I have *Plans* to colonise Son-at-University's room, which has an empty set of shelves. :twisted:
Stitchindude

Post by Stitchindude »

I use the cardboard bobbins to wind my floss on. There is a place on them that you can write the color code, and then I keep them in some plastic boxes with separate compartments, in numbered order as so they are easy to locate. I have every color DMC puts out, and I use a bobbin winder to put the skein on the bobbin. Works well for me!

:D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :)
A Day Without Crossstitching, Is Like A Day Without Sunshine!
whiskers12

Post by whiskers12 »

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

you are talking of two different methods to store threads, both of which I have used; DMC floss bows and the bobbin and winder method. I personally prefer to wind my threads onto cardboard bobbins using a little pink plastic winder that can be easily purchased at any good craft store. As Dude said, you can write the thread colour/number on the top. They're cheap and easy to store in a plastic container. I used the DMC floss bows prior to this method, and found that they are rather annoying. Often there will be a strand that is too short to wind the complete bow and will just dangle there. Also these bows are not cheap and are annoying to store.
Thus I would suggesting going with the cheaper solution of the thread bobbins and winder.

Hope this helped!
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Oh yes, it definately all helps, thanks. It's always best to get recommendations from people using these things regularly or else you can end up making expensive mistakes. :oops:

So looks like the cardboard bobbins are the way to go. Any other suggestions for my WIP or really anything you think is a really handy thing to have would be appreciated.

Thanks! :D
hada56

Post by hada56 »

I use plastic bobbins (they last longer, LOL), and then just keep then in suitable boxes. All the extras are in bags, sorted by colour.
suehoward59

A reallu silly question now ....

Post by suehoward59 »

Now i know about these cardboard bobbins you keep you skeins of thread on but now i want to know how you put it on the bobbins. It seems if you wind it on as it is everytime you want a length of thread you have to unwind the whole thing and start again. I know this might sound silly but i need to know as i am always having to unwind mine and wind on again and it is getting vey boring. thnkyou susan
Rose

Post by Rose »

I have used the cardboard bobbins for years as when I started that was all I could get they are great but as hada said the plastic ones last longer so the slow process of exchanging is going on. The plastic bobbins also have the space to write on. As I finish the old cardboard bobbin I replace it with a new plastic one. As far as unwinding you just have to unwind the length that you want to use cut it off pull however many strands you want to work with and wind the cut length back on to the bobbin. No need to unwind the whole thing and when you need more thread you just unwind the cut piece and take it from there.

As far as the carrying case I have seen many different styles and sizes in the catalouges that I get every month. I know Annies Attic and Herrschnerrs both have a carry case and it does have compartments for thread and scissors and charts. I don't know the prices but they both have web sites you can check out. I just use my kids old back packs the ones that they made with wheels on them. They work very well when I am going places with my stitching. They can be a bit bulky if you are working on small projects.

Hope we have helped just a small bit.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
mags

Post by mags »

I keep my WIP in my dmc gold concept travel bag

http://www.sewandso.co.uk/ran701-0.html

- it comes with inserts for putting stitchbows in but I have taken these out as I use cardboard bobbins, I do wish it wasn't cream though - I think it may not look quite so clean after a few years :roll: I have seen navy ones which I would prefer. (Have also got the mini travel bag which is not a lot of use as it is a bit small.)

I think I too would prefer to a box but am happy as I am. I don't use a frame or hoop and I roll my wip in a length of good quality wallpaper lining paper which keeps it nicely uncreased.

As I said I use bobbins, but only when I start a skein, otherwise I leave it as it is. I was quite happy just leaving the floss in the skeins but I kept losing the colour number labels :roll:

Sue, re bobbins, I don't understand why you have to unwind the whole thing every time. I just wind by hand (you can get a winder to speed up the job) and unwind as much as I need and tuck the end through the slit to hold it
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
agi

Post by agi »

What about a sewing basket for the WIP? Like this one?

I http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Cl ... oduct.html

There are many beautiful ones on the market, but they are not cheap! That's why I use a plastic box I bought in the Ikea, cheap and working very well. I tried to find a picture on the shop's site but couldn't. When I have a camera I will take a picture of it.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
Becca

Post by Becca »

I have one of the dmc gold concept travel bags too, i got that colour because it was cheaper than the navy one and came with lots of threads. I have since bought more plastic wallets and stitchbows to put more threads on, but i still don't have enough for all my threads and i'm worried if i get more then my bag won't close, it's a bit full! I also have a basket which i keep random stuff in. And i keep my current project in a plastic bag because i'm always taking it places (i love to cross stitch on the train).
Click the banner above to visit us at Crafts 'n' Creatures!

And my blog which is full of all my stitching
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Thanks so much all of you. I've got lots to check out and think over now.
I appreciate the help!

Am VERY happy at the moment too, because tonight a friend gave me the gift of a carrier bag of her old cross stitch magazines!!!
(I don't have any myself) So I'll have lots to read through now.
:dance: :dance:
mags

Post by mags »

Oh what luck - enjoy wallowing in your pile of magazines 8)
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Hi, I use the paper bobbins for my cottons (DMC). I have two bags for my wips. One is a windsor woods bag that I have had for at least 15 years (had it dried cleaned and it came out beautifully) and the other is an almost brief case size stitching tote for multiple or very large projects. They are quilted and very pretty and have lots of nooks for all the different things you need. I also have a windsor woods caddy (I think that is what they call them) for my needles, markers,thread heaven, etc.
tripletvn

Post by tripletvn »

Hi,

I make cardboard bobbins myself, because it doesn't cost anything but time and I can customize dimensions as I want to fit in the containers (if they are not standard ones), one more minor reason: the cardboard is one side black, one side white, so the whole lot of floss looks great to me either way. But I am thinking of using plastic ones, they cost but last long. The clear plastic bobbins are very beautiful. I wind by hand.

I do write codes on cardboard bobbins and also cut the piece of code from the original skein and stick on the reverse side with tape. If you can not write on plastic bobbins, you can buy the pre-printed ones and stick onto them (less than $2 for all codes + blank codes). I haven't tried stitch bow and stitch bow carrier. If you use bobbins and you want to set aside some for your WIP, you can try the bobbin ring (various sizes), they hold bobbins together through the holes on top. I think it would be convenient although I don't have any :D.

Hope you find the best way for you soon and show us your treasure.