Making your own charts?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Angel

Making your own charts?

Post by Angel »

Does anyone here know how to make your own charts? I want to do a set of Chinese characters (Good health, fortune, luck ec) to go up my stairs but I can't seem to find Chinese words, only Japanese Kanji. Now I can write the chinese words and I can draw them in a design, but I have no idea on how to turn my designs into an actual chart....

Anyone know how?
agi

Post by agi »

Hi, Angel, where have you been?

I have a program called PC Stitch Pro, and I make chart with it - but haven't actually done much. No time. Just simple ones.
I read some tutorials about drawing your own chart somewhere on the net look around on Google. There was something about drawing on a piece of checked paper, without a program.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
Angel

Post by Angel »

Where's I been? Umm tha's kinda a long story.

Well i got made homeless temporarily and ended up saying with my mom around the time I joined this forum. And I kinda vanished when I got my home back. Only I don't have the internet at home so I've only been able to get online at work. And I've been so busy moving home that I just didn't end up comming on here at work. I was generally on another forum where I run a few things. And I HAD to be on them.
Then I did the charity catwalk for cancer, which called for a 28 hour day and I had barely recovered from the fatigue of that when I get the worst news ever. My gramma (Who I basically grew up with and is as close to me a second mom) has cancer. And not just cancer, but it won't react to chemo or anything and she's too weak for them to risk operating...so I'm going to loose her. And... *pauses while she cries*

I used to have some paper like that, but I could only find it by taking home my maths books from school and ripping out the paper. >_> I don't know where to buy it anymore. I'll take a look at PC Pro Stitch though, thanks.
mags

Post by mags »

So sorry about your gramma, angel. Keep strong.

As far as making your own patterns is concerned - have you a printer - you can print of some free graph paper from

http://www.cyberstitchers.com/Home.asp

I'm sure I might have seen some chinese characters - will see if I can find them

Found them on the same site - go to free patterns and search for "chinese" and there are Peace, Love, Harmony and Friendship.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Hi Angel, Sorry to hear about your grandma.

If you can draw them out one of us can convert them. I've got two different programs that I can give a go at.

Take a look at this book. It looks like something you might enjoy and may have what you're looking for too.

http://www.nordicneedle.com/Merchant2/m ... gory_Code=
Angel

Post by Angel »

I'm trying to keep strong but I think my heart has literally shatterd. I'm not over loosing my nan to it. But that's a whole different guilt trip we dont want to go into. I'm really glad though that I raised £4,000 ish ($8ish in USD) for cancer patients just days before I heard the news though. That makes it a little easier.

YAY Graph paper.

Thanks for the site Mags ^_^

I'll deffinatly use that. I'll show you the completed image as soon as I've done it. I think I'll draw out the pattern then print the graph paper over the top... And thanks for the chinese characters. It's always good to have a reference for the symbols as I'm not actually chinese so I'm always paranoid that I'll get the symbols wrong.

I was thinking of putting the symbol with some sort of image too. Like Peace and then a small scene of flowers or something. Designing things is somewhat relaxing.

Oooh thanks Lacemaker. I'll have a go this way, but if I fail (As is always a possability when I try something new) I'll put up the images and ask you to help ^_^
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I just checked ebay and there are some very pretty ones. I just put in "chinese character cross stitch". There's a really neat one of a symbol and a dragon.
Angel

Post by Angel »

Oooh nice
mags

Post by mags »

Just found this which may be of interest and may give you some symbols

http://chineseculture.about.com/library ... cters1.htm
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs
Angel

Post by Angel »

Oooh that's pretty cool. Thanks.
mags

Post by mags »

Just did a search at sewandso for chinese

http://www.sewandso.co.uk/cgi-bin/find/ ... inese;nh=1
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs
Angel

Post by Angel »

Yeah, I was thinking of doing something similar to this http://www.sewandso.co.uk/cgi-bin/find/ ... 31133&ww=1
These are really pretty.
mags

Post by mags »

Yes, nice idea :D
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs
Angel

Post by Angel »

Or something like this.
http://www.sewandso.co.uk/cgi-bin/find/ ... 26624&ww=1

Brighten my staircase up a bit. As I'm going to leave that a white colour and there's no windows on it.
mags

Post by mags »

Yes I like that one :D
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs
Angel

Post by Angel »

I think I may buy that one in a bit.
Last time I ordered a chart from there though they had it listed but no longer sold it.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Those are all very pretty.

There are some lovely fans that I've seen too. I'll see if I can find them.

Hey mags, does this make us pushers? or just avoiding new projects for ourselves?
mags

Post by mags »

I've not heard a bad report of sewandso. They probably have that many charts and kits it's difficult to keep track of them all.
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs
mags

Post by mags »

lacemaker2004 wrote:Hey mags, does this make us pushers? or just avoiding new projects for ourselves?
:lol: :lol:
Anything to make life easier
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Angel, Check these out. It wasn't fans it was kimonos...oh well, they're still pretty. But 123 has an amazing collection that I'm sure you could find more local to you. The sampler is gorgous and is a full kit.

http://www.123stitch.com/CrossStitchAsian.html