Lowery Floorstands?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

BizzieLizzie

Lowery Floorstands?

Post by BizzieLizzie »

My Stitchmaster floorstand (http://www.mariescrossstitch.co.uk/scp/ ... FST-D53035" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank) broke last night and unless my dad can fix it, I'll need to get a new one (I know - how awful :wink: ). Anyway, the most likely candidate is the Stitchsmart (http://www.siestaframes.com/acatalog/info_D53047.html" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank) because my magnifying lamp would fit it, and I wondered if any of you use a Stitchsmart and what its pros and cons are?

My scroll frames are 30" wide, so whatever floorstand I get has to be capable of holding large frames without keeling over. Are there any other stands you'd recommend? (Unlike some other forum members, hubby is definitely NOT a handyman, so a homemade one isn't an option).

On the bright side, it means I get to start my minis (which I'm planning to do in a hoop) sooner than expected. Every cloud ... :D
Last edited by BizzieLizzie on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

BizzieLizzie

Re: Lowery floor stands?

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Hmmm, I guess the deafening silence in response to my query about Stitchsmart floor stands means not many people have them, which rings alarm bells. :thinks:

I'm still planning to try and fix the Stitchmaster, but I've been reading reviews about Lowery floor stands and no one seems to have a bad word to say about them. Okay, so they're a bit on the pricey side, but I don't mind investing in something that will last a long time and that I don't have to replace (my Stitchmaster is only a year old :shock: ). So, for those of you with a Lowery stand:

- is it completely stable, even holding a 30"-plus scroll frame?
- if I have the light bracket, am I restricted to using a particular kind of light/magnifier?
- do any of you use the long frame adaptor and if so, is it any good?
- how long have you had your Lowery and is it showing any signs of wear and tear?
- is there ANYTHING you don't like about the Lowery?

Sorry if this sounds like a survey, but before my credit card takes a beating, I want to be absolutely sure that any new stand I buy will be perfect for my needs and last beyond forever.

Thanks in advance for your input! :D

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

Mabel Figworthy

Re: Lowery Floorstands?

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I'd be very interested as well -- the Lowery has been sitting for some time on my Sew & So wish list and even (for a mad few days) in my shopping cart, but I'm still hesitating because it is such an expense.

On the other hand, I find I'm not doing much on Fruit because the scroll frame is a bit too big for comfort (it's only 12" but that's big for me) and I do think I'd work on it more if I had the stand :thinks:
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

I love my Lowery - had it for a year and don't know how I lived without it!! I use 30 inch scroll frames with mine and it's fine with a Next directory on the base for extra stability! I have nothing bad to say about it at all, I use it just about everyday and it suits my stitching needs to a tee! I have the chart holder attachment (which is really useful) - but none of the others so can't comment on that. Worth every penny IMHO - I wouldn't be able to stitch without it!
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
ayna

Post by ayna »

I had my Lowery for 11 years; the fact it didn't last any longer was down to me- I left a very heavy piece of work on it for too long and it bent (I had the cheaper version) I'm now trying to save up to replace it with the stainless steel version.

I bought mine from the wife of the man who designed the stands - she was a stitcher and he an engineer. Having tried many different types of stand I can honestly say that Lowery are the best - so easy to flip over to the back and very adjustable as to height etc. I anchored mine underneath the left foot of my armchair and it was fine until I asked too much of it. Didn't have any of the accessories but would now go for the chart holder and,probably the light holder. If you can afford it, go for it!!
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

I've ordered a Lowery!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Hubby and I felt it was unfair on Dad to ask him to fix my Stitchmaster on Father's Day, so instead we asked if we could keep the Stitchmaster at my parents' house so I can use it when I visit, which means Dad can fix it in his own sweet time (he's having great fun figuring out how best to do it! :lol: ) and I ordered the Lowery to keep at home. It's being dispatched today and since I have Wednesday off work for a couple of appointments I'm really hoping I'll get it in time to set up and use on Wednesday. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!! :D :D :D :dance: :dance: :dance: :mexicanwave:

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

Mabel Figworthy

Congratulations, and it's so thoughtful of you to buy a Lowery rather than place the burden of fixing the Stitchmaster on your father :-)

and as for buying Lowerys....

I did too!!!!!!!!! :oops: :D :dance:

You should have seen DH and me yesterday -- I was still a little undecided because I wasn't sure it would really hold my work the way I wanted it; I mean whether having my work hovering in front of me, held from the side, would be comfy.

So I turned DH into a stand-in Lowery stand :-D. He held the frame the way a Lowery would (only a little more wobbly, I fear), and I did some stitching, and it was really comfortable!

I'd just got in a little money from one of my website writing/maintenance jobs, not enough to pay for the whole thing but a good chunk of it so I decided to go ahead.

And then DH said he hadn't got me an anniversary present yet (which is in August) and would I like the stand?

WOULD I LIKE THE STAND??????

yes please :-).

So I've just ordered it from Sew & So with Next Day delivery (as that wasthe same price as Standard) and I can't wait to use it!!!!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Yay!!! Congratulations, Mabel!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

I love the idea of using Hubby as a stand-in. :lol:
And so thoughtful of him to get you the stand as an anniversary gift. It was my Hubby's idea to leave the Stitchmaster with my parents and buy the Lowery. Just goes to show how much they love and understand us. :wub:

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

MaudL

Post by MaudL »

Congratulations to the two of you! Now if you don't mind, I'm going to send you my hubby for training, ok?
@rotfl:
My blog

WIP
Brodeuse Bressane - Fleur de Lys SAL
Mirabilia - Persephone
Chatelaine - Sleeping Beauty Castle
HAED - Mini Lady of the Flowers (Phelan)
HAED - Celtic Fire (Buziak)
HAED - Wheel of Fortune (Law)
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

Yay - two more members for the Lowery Club :dance: !
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
skitzzzzz

Post by skitzzzzz »

i love my lowery couldn't stitch without it so worth the expense and you will not be dissappointed
W.I.P
Still Life with Roses GK
Frost GK

http://www.facebook.com/skitzzzzz" target="_blank" target="_blank
3madspaniels

Post by 3madspaniels »

Glad to hear that you both took the plunge and bought the Lowery. I've had mine for nearly a year and don't know how I coped without it! I've had wooden floor stands before, but could never get comfortable with any of them. I love the way that the Lowery is beside my chair rather than in front of it and that it is so adjustable and sturdy. I only have the chart holder attachment so I can't comment on the others.
Paula

WIP's
New York by Thea Gouverneur
HAED Fireside Companions
flosaxby

Post by flosaxby »

I'd really love a Lowery Floorstand but first I need to explain to my husband why the wooden stand that he bought for my birthday a couple of years ago really isn't as good as a Lowery...

I think he's noticed that I don't use it much but I'm scared of hurting his feelings given he went to the LNS on his own initiative to get it :(

Flo
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

flosaxby wrote:I'd really love a Lowery Floorstand but first I need to explain to my husband why the wooden stand that he bought for my birthday a couple of years ago really isn't as good as a Lowery...

I think he's noticed that I don't use it much but I'm scared of hurting his feelings given he went to the LNS on his own initiative to get it :(

Flo

Ooooh, that's a really tricky one!! :shock:

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

Mabel Figworthy

3madspaniels wrote:I love the way that the Lowery is beside my chair rather than in front of it
That's what attracted me to it, it's one of the only ones (perhaps the only one?) that's like that, and also that it grips the frame from the side.

I've just had an email from Sew & So to say it's been dispatched and will be delivered tomorrow :dance: :dance: !

flosaxby, good luck finding a tactful way showing the Lowery to your kind and thoughtful husband!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:I've just had an email from Sew & So to say it's been dispatched and will be delivered tomorrow :dance: :dance: !
Me too! Thing is, I won't get mine until Wednesday. It's being delivered to Hubby at the office so he can bring it home in the car (I commute by train and didn't want the hassle of carrying a package on public transport). He's going to his friend's house straight from work tomorrow and I'll be in bed by the time he's home. On the bright side, Wednesday will be like Christmas morning! :D

I'll just have to :drool: over yours, Mabel, until I get mine. (I promise to wipe it off, though. :lol: )

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

pattiebelle

Post by pattiebelle »

You girls are TOO CUTE !!! :D

Congrats on getting your new treasures. (and on having the "old"ones ... your hubbies!!!)

Many years of happy stitching to you both :applesauce:

:wub:
pattiebelle

"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)
Arianwen

Post by Arianwen »

I asked my parents for a Lowery for my birthday which is in a couple of weeks - she checked it out and said sew and sew were out of the stock of the one she was looking at :(

At least I know now where they all went - you ladies have been buying them!

If I don't get one now, I'm hoping to save up and get one, not sure what accessories I'll be getting, but I'm looking forward to seeing how you all use yours and get on with them!
Current WIP's

HAED What Lies beneath Dakota Daetwiler
Disney Dreams The little mermaid / Fantasia by MCG textiles/Thomas kinkade

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
Heather Mulberry Silk in 'Gladys
XandraS

Post by XandraS »

I'm getting a Lowrey for my birthday, which is next month but hubby says he might order it in the next week or so. Can't wait to get it, already planning where to put it :)
XandraS...
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

It's just been delivered to Hubby at the office! :dance: :dance: :dance:

So frustrating knowing that I can't open it until tomorrow. Patience was never my strong point! :lol:

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest