Easy program to edit pictures for the Forum

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

Easy program to edit pictures for the Forum

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I mentioned this in a reply somewhere, but thought it merited a separate thread :-)

For editing pictures for a website (making them smaller, brighter, cropping them, rotating them etc.) I use a very small, very easy and completely free program called Irfanview.

What may be especially useful for other Forum members is that you can rotate pictures by as many or few degrees (or even half degrees) as you wish -- which I find tremendously helpful as my photographs are usually just that little bit off kilter! (Press CTRL + U to use this feature; CTRL + R for resizing)

Also you can resize a whole batch of pictures in one go (open the program and press B), and usefully you can set the longest side to a certain size, so that all pictures, whether landscape or portrait, end up no more than, say, 400px at their biggest.

You can download it in many places, but for those who like things easy I've got a pre-prepared package which I use for people for whom i make websites -- you can download it here http://www.allsortsofeverything.co.uk/p ... anview.zip and then all you need to do is double-click on the zip file, extract it to where you want it -- it will create a folder called IrfanView. In that folder is Irfanview.exe, and if you double-click on that you can immediately start using the program, no need to install anything!
Angel

Post by Angel »

Sounds great!

I use Paint Shop Pro, but then again, one of my hobbies is art, so my program has a lot of features that are redundant if all you want is to enhance your pictures. And you have to buy it, but it does have "one stop photo fix" which alters the blur and darkness and contrast of images, or you can do it all manually for best results.
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

yeah i also use paint shop pro..i love it!
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend