New HAED questions

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

MnLtWspr

New HAED questions

Post by MnLtWspr »

Here I come with my endless questions again!!!! Lol

ok so I just bought a lovely new chart from HAED. It was a great deal because the same chart on Herrschners was like $35-45 and I got it for $10 on HAED! Awesome. Anyways here it is http://heavenandearthdesigns.com/index. ... ts_id=3642

Ok so questions:
1. It recommends to stitch on 25ct Dublin Linen. I've never used this and don't know what it is, what brands are good, how hard it is to stitch on ect. Info on this please?
2. I would prefer to stitch on aida but it appears as though 22ct is the highest aida. Is there anything else I could stitch it on that is similar and comes in 25ct?
3. I've only ever done kits so idk about getting the fabric. I noticed you can use a fabric calculator to find the size but does this give you any edge around where you are stitching? if so how much of an edge?
4. Are there places that you can go to have specified dimensions cut for you? (like when going to joanns and you have a couple yards cut off of a roll) or can you actually buy precut packages of any size?
5. Are the designs on HAED all full coverage? If not, How do I know if this one is or isn't?
6. If full coverage, Can I really use any color of fabric I wish to stitch on?
7. The stitches are over one, but it says I can use either 1 or 2 strands.....which do you recommend? (on 25ct)
At the ends of our lives, it is not the things we did that we regret, but the things we didn't do

WIPs-
Janlynn Mythical Dragon

Finished 2013-
Charity Square (Mystery Pattern!)
calico

Re: New HAED questions

Post by calico »

I'm new to HAED myself ( haven't started mine yet) so although I've learned quite a bit, I still can't answer some of your questions.
I do recommend, if you haven't already done so, to join the HAED bulletin boards. There is a wealth of information over there! I've been reading it for days and learning a lot. Lots of talk about preferred fabric and where to buying, needle size, tips and trick...good stuff!

If you have a LNS in your town, they will cut specific sizes of fabric for you. I don't believe Joann's does that. I've ordered fabric from 123 Stitch and you can get different sizes. Just make sure you have 3" or more beyond the stitching on all sides for framing.
I believe most HAED charts are full coverage unless you have the background removed, so i'm guessing, the color of fabric doesn't matter ( I could be wrong about this). As for the coverage on 25 ct, it's best to do a test swatch to see if you prefer 2 over 1 vs 1 over 1 also some do half cross stitch instead of full. It's your choice, no right or wrong.
Hope that helps a bit!
Calico

WIPs:
Glory of Autumn
Orchids & Hummingbird
Santa's Feathered Friend
Eagle's Majesty
Feasting Frenzy
Chickadees on a branch
Autumn Owl Trio - HAED

My Blog
My Flickr
My YouTube Channel
Rose

Post by Rose »

Well lets see what I can help with.

1) :thinks: don't know

2) You can stitch a HAED on pretty much any fabric but if you change the size of the fabric it will change the amount of floss that you will need to buy to complete the design. I believe you can contact the HAED owner and they can tell you the difference.

3)Most fabric calculators will also add on the border size and most will allow you to say how much extra on each side that you want . Some say 2 inches extra each side and some say no less then 3 inches.

4)Yes there are many sites that you can buy specific lengths and the on-line site will cut to order also they can supply many color choices.

5) I am pretty sure that the charts are full coverage and you have to ask for the background to be removed, but if you are unsure then contact HAED and they will let you know.

6)Yes

7) that is a personal choice and only you can decide what you like best.

There are many threads here on the board that can answer you questions more fully have a quick look around and see. Good luck!!!!!
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

MnLtWspr wrote:Here I come with my endless questions again!!!! Lol

ok so I just bought a lovely new chart from HAED. It was a great deal because the same chart on Herrschners was like $35-45 and I got it for $10 on HAED! Awesome. Anyways here it is http://heavenandearthdesigns.com/index. ... ts_id=3642

Ok so questions:
1. It recommends to stitch on 25ct Dublin Linen. I've never used this and don't know what it is, what brands are good, how hard it is to stitch on ect. Info on this please?
Very few stitchers choose to stitch HAEDs on linen as it has an uneven slub, so most opt to stitch on an evenweave like 25ct or 28ct Lugana - if you wanted to stitch on Dublin linen that is a Zweigart linen and the best brand (IMHO) you can buy. Zweigart linens are named according to count e.g Dublin (25ct), Cashel (28ct), Belfast (32ct) etc
2. I would prefer to stitch on aida but it appears as though 22ct is the highest aida. Is there anything else I could stitch it on that is similar and comes in 25ct?
22ct is the highest blockeweave (aida type fabric) to my knowlege, after that you are into evenweave territory starting at 25ct and upwards which is absolutely fine and nothing to be scared of - just might take a bit of practice to get used to first time around. I stitch my HAEDs on 18ct for smaller QS designs and 28ct for minis and BAPs. We are all different - stitch on what you find best for you!
3. I've only ever done kits so idk about getting the fabric. I noticed you can use a fabric calculator to find the size but does this give you any edge around where you are stitching? if so how much of an edge?
What Rose said!
4. Are there places that you can go to have specified dimensions cut for you? (like when going to joanns and you have a couple yards cut off of a roll) or can you actually buy precut packages of any size?
In a brick and mortar store I am sure they will cut fabric to size - ordinarily online fabric is sold it specific cuts e.g fat quarter (18x27 inches), half metre etc.... Some online stores may cut to size too - but I've always bought precut pieces as you can never have too much fabric IMO!
5. Are the designs on HAED all full coverage? If not, How do I know if this one is or isn't?
Yes, on the whole they are all full coverage - I know some designs aren't but if you ask on here one of us will probably know anyway! I know that some of CCK's designs like this one are not full coverage, they are just the black outline you see.
You can use any colour fabric and it is worth considering to reduce show through - some stitchers won't stitch on white, but rather will choose and off white or cream or grey. Other stitchers might use a hand dyed fabric to show off a fabric border when they frame/finish the piece (or just because they love hand dyed fabby!)
7. The stitches are over one, but it says I can use either 1 or 2 strands.....which do you recommend? (on 25ct)
Your best bet is to do some test stitching yourself on the fabric as all of us our different and what works for one will not work for another. I've never stitched a HAED on 25ct - but on 28ct I use two strands over one but I continental tent stitch (half stitch on the front of the fabric, diagonal stitch on the back of the fabric) rather than full cross.
I would echo what calico said - joining the HAED BB is a great thing to do, it has a phenomenal amount of information there which you can get first-hand. Doing a search here on the forum here will also yield huge amounts of info too! At the end of the day there are no rules and each stitcher finds out for themselves by trial and error what works best for them!
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

Hi there! I'm from the Portland area as well! Good to see another Oregonian on the board, there aren't many of us here... :)

Everyone has pretty much answered your questions but I thought I'd throw out there that if you haven't been to Acorns and Threads yet, get there as soon as you can! They are awesome and can answer any questions in person and show you fabrics galore and they will cut you the size you need most of the time... They are on Scholls Ferry Road between Portland and Beaverton.

I love the pattern you've chosen, it was one of the first HAEDs I added to my stash :)

Belated welcome to the board, I'm sure you'll love it!
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS
Lovers, Christmas Fairy, Goblins Fae Guide, Autumn Pears, Ride the Wind, Chimera Black Rose, Surfers Dream, Witching Hour, QS Nostlagy, Lg Treasure Hunt Bookshelf, Owen

Chatelaine
Konstantinople Hamam, Serengeti, Alpine Seasons
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Good questions and they have been so well answered. The only thing I would add is to make sure that you post progress pics so we can encourage you (besides that we love all kinds of pics) on what will be a fun journey of stitching for you.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
MnLtWspr

Post by MnLtWspr »

Parksfarm wrote:Hi there! I'm from the Portland area as well! Good to see another Oregonian on the board, there aren't many of us here... :)

Everyone has pretty much answered your questions but I thought I'd throw out there that if you haven't been to Acorns and Threads yet, get there as soon as you can! They are awesome and can answer any questions in person and show you fabrics galore and they will cut you the size you need most of the time... They are on Scholls Ferry Road between Portland and Beaverton.

I love the pattern you've chosen, it was one of the first HAEDs I added to my stash :)

Belated welcome to the board, I'm sure you'll love it!
Hey what a coincidence! I was actually just conversing through email with Jeannine from Acorns and Threads! I haven't been there yet but I have been dying to go since I found out about it. I don't drive so It's hard to find the time to get out there ( i'm closer to gresham and happy valley) I love that they have ALL of the dmc colors as well as other brands, I'm so excited just thinking about all those colors lining the store floor to ceiling! :cloud9:
At the ends of our lives, it is not the things we did that we regret, but the things we didn't do

WIPs-
Janlynn Mythical Dragon

Finished 2013-
annamarie23

Post by annamarie23 »

I'm so glad I read this thread posted by MnLtWspr as they are exactly the same questions I had too! I'm so relieved I'm not alone with the questions.

I've found a great HAED that I'd love to do at some point called Garden of Delight. It's worked on 25ct so I'm assuming that's even-weave? I've got other projects I'm keen to get working on but this is something that I aspire to do but because its stitched on evenweave this puts me off. Sorry if that makes me sound like a coward! I'd only heard of HAED and didn't really look at their designs until recently. I can understand why they are so popular as they are amazing.

Anna Marie :D
Anna-Marie x

WIP - CSC 'Calligraphy', Janlynn 'Egyptian Pair', Ink Circles 'Woodland Vines'.
Waiting in the wings - Music and violin- Skitzzzzz, SQ 'Midsummer Eve', HAED Mini Camelot plus lots of others.
MnLtWspr

Post by MnLtWspr »

@annamarie23- I'm glad I could inadvertently help! And no it definitely does not make you sound like a coward. After doing a little bit of research it seems lugana is good for beginners transitioning from aida to evenweave, maybe it'll be good for you too?

WIPs-
Janlynn Mythical Dragon

Finished 2013-
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

If you aren't comfortable with evenweave, you might want to practice on some small pieces. I am trying to remember which supplier will send samples at no cost other than postage. I'm sure someone here will be able to tell you who you need to contact. I think the biggest difference is the fabric count. Most evenweaves are 25 ct and higher. Hardanger fabric is 22 ct and is used in a lot of HAED's. I just completed the freebie SAL on that fabric. The worry over stitching on evenweave was so much worse than actually stitching. Luganda and Jobelan are fabrics that I like as it is easy to count and to grid. But there are also a lot of people who stitch these on Aida. The only rule I know is the one that says use the fabric that you want to and are comfortable stitching on. You will be at theses for a good long while.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

rcperryls wrote:If you aren't comfortable with evenweave, you might want to practice on some small pieces. I am trying to remember which supplier will send samples at no cost other than postage. I'm sure someone here will be able to tell you who you need to contact.
I think Carole is thinking of Donna at Cross Stitch Heaven. Donna is based in the UK but a lot of stitchers on here from all over the world have received fabric samples from her.
annamarie23 wrote:I'm so glad I read this thread posted by MnLtWspr as they are exactly the same questions I had too! I'm so relieved I'm not alone with the questions.

I've found a great HAED that I'd love to do at some point called Garden of Delight. It's worked on 25ct so I'm assuming that's even-weave? I've got other projects I'm keen to get working on but this is something that I aspire to do but because its stitched on evenweave this puts me off.
Every HAED chart says it is to be worked on 25ct - but you can stitch them on any count fabric. As Carole said it is worth having a practice on various fabrics first to find one you are comfortable with as you will be stitching your HAED for quite some time!
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

What everyone else has said really :D

Most importantly don't be scared by the recommendation of 25ct fabric. It is only a recommendation and people stitch HAEDs on any count of fabric they're happy with. It's a big committment, especially a BAP, so it's important to make sure you're happy with your fabric before you start, whether that's 16 or 18 ct aida, or 36 ct evenweave :lol:
WIP
Rose Window
SQ Sunday afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte - pgs 1-3 complete
HAED Curl up with a Good Book
Around the World in 80 Stitches - pts 1-12 complete
Mabel's SOTW - Jan-June complete
HAED BB Sal
Heather

Post by Heather »

I am new to HAEDs too! I am working on my second one now.

You can use any type of fabric you want, just keep in mind that the smaller the number the fabric (14, 18) the larger the stitches, meaning the bigger the finished piece.

So for example, my current project is 450 by 511 stitches. If I were to use the recommended 25 count it would be about 18 in x 20 in. But if I used 18-count, it would be larger: about 25 in x 28 in.

However, no matter how big you go, none of the detail is lost and the picture looks the same. I did my first one on 18 aida, and my current one on 22 aida... now that I'm used to it I am ready to jump to 25 count or different fabrics.

Just google "cross stitch calculator" and you will find a ton of different calculators you can use.

For everything else you just have to test it out and see what you like! Some people use one thread, some people use two (I do) I've even seen people use 4 threads.
WIP:
Universe In A Jar (HAED) 07/08/12
Finishes:
Sunflower Bee (HAED)
annamarie23

Post by annamarie23 »

Thank you for your advice and help everyone. I didn't know you could use any other fabric on the HAED! Sorry, if that sounds dim. I've contacted my thread supplier in the UK today for some free samples of the evenweave and linen so hopefully they will be useful for me to practice on.

I did notice that the chart on HAED that I like is also available on the SQ site but on the SQ site it's specifically for 18ct aida. So can you use 2 threads on evenweave or linen? I need to read about the different fabrics as it sounds a bit complicated to a rookie like me.

Anna Marie :doh:
Anna-Marie x

Waiting in the wings - Music and violin- Skitzzzzz, SQ 'Midsummer Eve', HAED Mini Camelot plus lots of others.
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

You can use two threads or as many as you want on evenweave or linen. If you stitch over two on evenweave, it's the same size as stitching on aida and you'd often use the same number of strands as you would on aida. Eg stitching over 2 on 28ct evenweave is the same size as 14ct aida, over 2 on 32ct evenweave is equivalent to 16 ct aida. You can stitch with two strands over 1 on evenweave if you want. A lot of people find it very tight and prefer stitching with 1 strand over 1 on 25ct, 28ct and higher, but there are examples on the HAED BB of stitching 2 strands over 1 on 25ct and 28ct. It comes back to testing out what you're happy with. With a HAED though, always test a confetti area for bulkiness and comfort stitching.
WIP
Rose Window
SQ Sunday afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte - pgs 1-3 complete
HAED Curl up with a Good Book
Around the World in 80 Stitches - pts 1-12 complete
Mabel's SOTW - Jan-June complete
HAED BB Sal
franacropan

Post by franacropan »

I like to use coloured fabrics based on the colour I feel the design falls into. This helps with coverage and gives me the option of leaving a border of fabric when matting and framing. I find one over one on 28 count Lugano is my favourite and gives great coverage for my tension. I tested quite a few fabrics (many just little squares out of free cover kits) and thread combinations to arrive at my personal favourite. Every one is different of course and no way could I stitch one over one without my magnifier lamp.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: Those both look great and look like they have great coverage. You can use any color fabric and any type fabric and any count fabric that you like and are comfortable with. I am stitching 2 over 1 and 1 over 1 full x's and 2 over 1 tent stitches on 18, 25 and 28 ct fabrics now. My newest favorite is 2 over 1 tent stitch on 28 ct. What is listed on the chart is basically a suggestion by HAED and to be honest that is the only combination (2 over 1 full x on 25 ct) that I hated and am redoing that piece. It is up to you.

Carole
:thinks:

eta: Thank you, Amanda. Cross Stitch Heaven is what I was thinking of.
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
annamarie23

Post by annamarie23 »

These pieces look great! The detail is amazing. Look forward to seeing more pictures.

Anna Marie :dance:
Anna-Marie x

MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

annamarie23 wrote:Thank you for your advice and help everyone. I didn't know you could use any other fabric on the HAED! Sorry, if that sounds dim. I've contacted my thread supplier in the UK today for some free samples of the evenweave and linen so hopefully they will be useful for me to practice on.

I did notice that the chart on HAED that I like is also available on the SQ site but on the SQ site it's specifically for 18ct aida. So can you use 2 threads on evenweave or linen? I need to read about the different fabrics as it sounds a bit complicated to a rookie like me.

Anna Marie :doh:
When I was branching out on fabrics.. descriptions were great.. but I didn't get a feel for what they were talking about until I had a piece in front of me. Sort of play and read at the same time. Because its different but I didn't really grasp it until I was looking at aida and evenweave at the same time.

Just about any chart can be stitched on any fabric. It sounds odd that the chart you like on SQ says its designed specifically for 18 ct fabric.. unless its due to size consideration or something. You know, on 18 ct it will fit into a pre-made frame or something like that. Or perhaps its just saying that the model was stitched on 18 ct. Play around with a stitch calculator to give you an idea on how a project changes with different count fabrics.

You can stitch with 1 or 2 threads on evenweave. It all depends on the fabric count. 1 thread on 25 may not give you the coverage you want, 2 threads on 32 may be too bulky for you. Its one of the things you'll figure out when playing with scrap pieces.