best material for biscornu

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

best material for biscornu

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I'd like to do a biscornu some time and was wondering whether aida or evenweave is easier to use for them. Would aida be too stiff, or would evenweave fray too easily?

I've been reading some sites about them and the two squares always seem to be attached by whip-stitching through two lines of backstitch. Is this the way with biscornus or are there other methods?

And what is a good workable size? Is there a minimum and/or maximum size beyond which it doesn't work anymore? Could you, for example, make a foot square biscornu sofa cushion?
mags

Post by mags »

I have done several with aida. Haven't tried evenweave or linen so cannot comment.

I would say 40 to 50 stitches square on 14 count aida would be a nice size. (Approx 3 to 3.5 inches)

But I have seen tiny ones, which are very cute, and I see no reason not to try a very large one - I look forward to pictures :lol:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
agi

Post by agi »

I have only tried it once, with aida, it worked well. The one I did is quite small, about 6 cm X 6cm.

I read a few descriptions about them, and all of them said it should be done with whip-stitch. I like it, since I don't have a sewing machine, I used this type of finishing for other things as well. Would be too much to hand-sew on a big pillow, though.

I hope there are others with more experience and more help.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

I've done one with Aida too, and it was fine - see my gallery. I also used whipstitch. Don't know about cushions - maybe someone else with more experience will be able to advise. :D
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I've done biscornu using both evenweave and Aida. Some Aida is a little stiffer than others so if you want to do a 'trial' version have a rummage through your Stash to find a softer bit.
I would like to do a larger cushion too. I've done a patchwork one which sits on my foot stool. (not yet photo'd) As long as you are accurate with your cutting and stitching it works well. I stuffed it with feathers which was MESSY! :shock:

My Biscornu can be seen on my wendystitch gallery.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Thanks Wendy -- there's some lovely ones in your gallery!

I was thinking they look as thought they ought to be used for something, and I noticed you did use one of them as a pincushion. Would it work to fill it with lavender and hang it in a wardrobe?

Question: do they always have buttons sewn through the middle?
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

They are great stuffed with lavender! I did one for a friend! If you don't use a button you could use a bead or a large French knot! Just put a strengthening piece of material BEHIND the knot before you stuff it!
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

i'm so scared to actually do one..the edges when you have to sew together..i'm so nervous i'll make a mess of the whole thing...lol
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

coffee_freak wrote:i'm so scared to actually do one..the edges when you have to sew together..i'm so nervous i'll make a mess of the whole thing...lol
I made a Right Pigs Ear of one I made! Still it makes a great pin-cushion!!

Just remember to do back-stitch all around the edge after you have finished the pattern. Equal number of stitches on each of the 4 sides. Then a weaving over sew whip-stitch through EVERY stitch to join the 2 pieces together and it can't go wrong! Aida is the best material to do a practise piece I think if you're nervous about it! :wink:
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

so you do a backstitch border around all 4 sides on both pieces..

then you take your needle and go under the backstitch and over then back under the next one..under over all the way around?
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Yep that's about it!
Easy isn't it? So as long as you make sure you catch each stitch you shouldn't go wrong! I won't say 'can't' cos I did, bit I was watching TV at the time! :roll: :lol: :lol:
mags

Post by mags »

When I stitch mine together I do a sort of ladder stitch under all the back stitches, you can do it loosely and then pull up (not too) tight. Works for me.

I have filled with part lavender part stuffing.

I have also left them without the button or bead through the middle - I think it makes for a better pincushion.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs