what do you do whilst you stitch ???

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

jemma1986d

what do you do whilst you stitch ???

Post by jemma1986d »

i was just thinking to myself i wonder what the people on the forum do whilst they stitch now me and my bf are rock lovers so whilst we stitch we put kerrang on the tv. There is something about the upbeat music makes me stitch faster :D So what do you do whilst you stitch ???
crosstitcher1

Re: what do you do whilst you stitch ???

Post by crosstitcher1 »

I have to have PEACE and QUITE when I stitch, as I find it ANNOYING for the tv, radio or other activities a BOTHER to me, as I sit and stitch from 5 am-12 pm 6 days a week, M-S, NO Sundays. I am a COUNTER of stitching, so DISTRACTIONS I DON'T NEED. I am CONTENT in drinking my :tea: and stitching away.
I DO think of the person that I am making the project for, in thinking how they will receive it in liking it.

HAPPY STITCHING IN STITCHING LAND.
Cecilia

Post by Cecilia »

I love listening to music or watching an old movie - something that doesn't need too much concentration. :)
Completed 2017: Anniversary Sampler by The Sweetheart Tree

Love comforteth like sunshine after rain. Shakespeare
millymolly

Post by millymolly »

I listen to music or watch tv. Mostly the tv option though, i'm definitely a tv junkie. I dont find it distracting in the slightest :)
Amanda =]

WIP
Cloudsfactory Epic Potter & Cut thru Pirate Ship
HAED Mini Awakening Spring Fairy
Shameful UFOs Thread here 3 of 25 finished
Reta

Post by Reta »

Music or Radio No TV
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I watch tv or old tv shows or movies on dvd. I like to be able to rerun sections if I stop paying attention. I also love to listen to audiobooks, though for quite a while now I have been tending towards the tv and have a lot of audiobooks piling up (I don't know the right expression) in my iPod and now ebooks on the iPad and real books piling up on my dining room table.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
crafterglen

Post by crafterglen »

Either my music on my i.pod or peace and quiet, bliss
Arianwen

Post by Arianwen »

I usually watch the tv or some films while I stitch, gives my neck a break from constant stitching and it allows my eyes to focus on something else which helps stop eyestrain for me.

I also like to listen to audio books or music.

If I'm stitching something complicated/using new stitches I'll either put some soothing music on, or a show that I'm really familiar with
Current WIP's

HAED What Lies beneath Dakota Daetwiler
Disney Dreams The little mermaid / Fantasia by MCG textiles/Thomas kinkade

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
Heather Mulberry Silk in 'Gladys
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale »

Nothing, radio 4, or Leonard ( :wub: ) depending on my mood. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVDUTAn6Ttg" target="_blank"

Watch Leonard and the young singer! ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6JssTdnvw" target="_blank"

Cohen's son, Adam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiP3PkLoMdI" target="_blank
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

I like watching movies while I stitch, mostly movies I've already seen so I don't have to focus too much on what's happening on screen. I also love doing TV series marathons while I stitch, I did all 3 seasons of Downton Abbey a couple of weeks ago. :dance:

Carole, I've though of listening to audiobooks while I stitch, but I'm afraid I'd lose concentration on either or both, and end up not listening and making mistakes in my work, so I haven't tried that yet. Also, I'm an avid reader and it's my nighttime private time. I climb in bed and read till hubby joins me and shut lights off.
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
annamarie23

Post by annamarie23 »

Depending on my mood and what I'm stitching, I tend to watch old movies on DVD so I can go back to sections if I've missed something or I like peace and quiet. A nice :tea: always helps too. I've got a mini HAED I'd like to start on at some point and I'd wager that I will like peace and quiet when I start that as I've never stitched one of those designs before. :)
Anna-Marie x

WIP - CSC 'Calligraphy', Janlynn 'Egyptian Pair', Ink Circles 'Woodland Vines'.
Waiting in the wings - Music and violin- Skitzzzzz, SQ 'Midsummer Eve', HAED Mini Camelot plus lots of others.
talenaya

Post by talenaya »

Usually I'm listening to my audiobooks. Although I figured out a while ago that I stitch faster when Joey's anime is on so every so often when I want to get some "speed" stitching done I turn on netflix and put on his animes.
:kitty:Victoria :kitty:

:wip:
HEAD: Nala
BigRed

Post by BigRed »

I like my music on
carladee

Post by carladee »

I have to have music or telly while I stitch, I'd like to get a couple of audio books to try too :)
*~Carla~*

my blog
my Etsy shop

Currently Stitching - HAED - Hmpf!, Mario Sampler, Chatelaine - Deep Blue Sea, Song of the Weather SAL, Woodland Sampler SAL, L&L - Angel of Summer, Summer Tree of Stitches
ashleyclark

Post by ashleyclark »

I like my :coffee: while stitching, and I listen to the Skyrim Game Soundtrack while I stitch. That or nothing. If I watch TV while stitching, then I am inviting :anotherfrog: into the pattern. That I do not need. In the afternoons, I drink my cold ice :tea: and stitch.
New Projects Starting

A Teacher's Table Topper / 9 Square Anne Cloth WIP

Fairy With a Butterfly Mask QS HAED
Fairy of the Changing Moons Mini HAED

More HAED
Friends Forever
Holiday Splendor
Rose Angel
Soul Mates WIP
The Gardener
Yule Angel
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Almost always have the tv on, and if not that, then I have music of some sort on!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Lozze

Post by Lozze »

Watching TV. I'm currently working through both Downton Abbey and Entorouge (while at my boyfriends) can't handle quiet.
WIP

Winnie the Pooh birth sampler - finished bar name and backstitching
'Beauty and the Beast Falling in Love' Disney Dreams Collections
natural_isis

Post by natural_isis »

Audiobooks or British comedy on dvd (Good Life, Keeping up Appearances, Vicar of Dibley, etc). I've watched the comedies so many times that I can simply listen to them and still know what's going on. I also usually have a cup of hot tea by my side.
Wips: Sadness of an Angel-Haed, Flower Girl- Haed, Bookworm Fairy- Haed, Ghost of A Rose- Haed, Babysitting- Haed, Red Tulips- Mystic Stitch, Pompiean Lady- Haed
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

I can't stitch in silence and I have too many wall clocks in my house and it drives me crazy to hear them ticking. I listen along to tv/ movies, the radio or audiobooks. If it's tv, it's something I can easily follow by listening, or a movie I've watched a million times I don't need to watch to follow along.
I am watching Downton Abbey too but that's one I have to watch- no stitching. Too many quiet mumbled conversations that I would miss if I were stitching. Mad Men I also have to watch without stitching.
I started listening to audio books when my reading list got too long because I was spending my free time stitching. By listening to a book, I could get two things done at the same time.
mattcrossstitches

Post by mattcrossstitches »

A few things come to mind:

1) I like to watch (really, listen to) old Star Trek episodes I've watched a million times.
2) When I'm stitching at night, last thing before going to bed, I have a "Quiet" playlist on my phone that I listen to.
3) This is kind of the opposite (what do you stitch while doing?) but I stitch a lot on the metro. I keep a simple, little project with me in a pencil case for that purpose.
My finished projects
WIP: Ladybugs' Picnic bib, Little Prince bookmark, In the House
Being charted: Challah cover, Kestos Himas