National Monuments of the US Bingo- We have a winner!!!

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

debupnorth

Re: National Monuments of the US Bingo- Day 2 numbers posted

Post by debupnorth »

Whew, finally got back in the running with 2 from today, now up to 3/10! I really found the virtual biking tour of Chimney Rock to be a facinating idea. :applesauce:
Deb

Currently stitching:
Twelve Days of Christmas, Vanessa-Ann Collection 1991
The Prairie Schooler annual Santa's 1984-2012
MaudL

Post by MaudL »

Wow so cool, I'm halfway there with 5/10 :)
Love reading about those amazing places!
My blog

WIP
Brodeuse Bressane - Fleur de Lys SAL
Mirabilia - Persephone
Chatelaine - Sleeping Beauty Castle
HAED - Mini Lady of the Flowers (Phelan)
HAED - Celtic Fire (Buziak)
HAED - Wheel of Fortune (Law)
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

Just been catching up after house move and up to 4/10 :D
WIP
Rose Window
SQ Sunday afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte - pgs 1-3 complete
HAED Curl up with a Good Book
Around the World in 80 Stitches - pts 1-12 complete
Mabel's SOTW - Jan-June complete
HAED BB Sal
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I'm 4/10 :)

Love the info!

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Princesslaughton

Post by Princesslaughton »

Hello

I am just catching up with this as things have been hectic and we had a death in the family. I have 4/10 so far. Great reading about the interesting places

x
WIP
Eagle Eye View
White Tiger
Tudor Rose Scissor keeper.

Finishes
Cushion cover
Celtic bookmark
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Princesslaughton, I send my :wub: and :pray:ers to you and your family. It is a hard time for you all. :wub:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Princesslaughton

Thank you Squirrel. I just popped on here this morning and this beautiful message on here is waiting. Thank you for your kindness

Going to be a good day now I think

Helen x
WIP
Eagle Eye View
White Tiger

Finishes
Cushion cover
Celtic bookmark
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

You are most welcome Helen. Enjoy the day as much as you can. Hope the sun is shining for you. :D

WIPS
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Hi Helen,

So sorry to hear of your loss, very sad for everyone, I wish you strength and happy rememberances.

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Princesslaughton

Thank you Niki

Squirrel the day was very calm but no sun out today as we had thick fog here in the North East of England :(

Hope everyone else is warm and well

Helen
WIP
Eagle Eye View
White Tiger

Finishes
Cushion cover
Celtic bookmark
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Sorry to hear of your loss Helen, :hug:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:hug: I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
dwitt

Post by dwitt »

Sorry all!!!! I have been slack with posting the numbers this week. I have been commuting to an audit site 1 1/2 hours north of where I live each day and working 9 hours before coming home. So as soon as I get home it's time to eat and fall into bed. I will try and get us caught up on Friday. So Friday, Saturday and Sunday I will post 3 numbers.
Sorry again!!!
Desiree Witt
It’s not not IF you will recover but WHEN you will.
You can NEVER have too many cross stitch patterns! :D
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Don't worry Desiree, we understand those sort of pressures. Take a deep breath and relax a little. :hug: :hug:

WIPS
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Squirrel wrote:Don't worry Desiree, we understand those sort of pressures. Take a deep breath and relax a little. :hug: :hug:
I agree. It just means that it will take a bit longer for me to lose :wink:.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

rcperryls wrote:
Squirrel wrote:Don't worry Desiree, we understand those sort of pressures. Take a deep breath and relax a little. :hug: :hug:
I agree. It just means that it will take a bit longer for me to lose :wink:.

Carole
I quite agree too.
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Definitely.. I haven't had time to check the bingo, so I was glad to find out I hadn't missed a win again. :) Not that it's likely to happen again ever. :lol:
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

We're all chill honey! Don't stress about it, this is fun for all of us!!

Big hugs

Niki xxx

Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
dwitt

Post by dwitt »

OK, I have a moment to breathe at work so here are the numbers for today:
2, 7, 14
no pics until later but here is the info:

2. Cape Krusenstern
a. Located in Alaska and established as a national monument on December 1, 1978. Co-located with the NHLD Cape Krusenstern Archeological District, this coastal plain contains large lagoons and rolling hills of limestone. The bluffs record thousands of years of change in the shorelines of the Chukchi Sea, as well as evidence of some 9,000 years of human habitation.
b.
c. Cape Krusenstern National Monument and the colocated Cape Krusenstern Archeological District is a U.S. National Monument and a National Historic Landmark centered on Cape Krusenstern in northwestern Alaska. The national monument is one of fifteen new National Park Service units designated by the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act (ANILCA) of 1980. It was initially declared a national monument under the authority of the Antiquities Act by President Jimmy Carter on December 1, 1978.
Cape Krusenstern is primarily a coastal plain, containing large lagoons and rolling hills of limestone. The bluffs record thousands of years of change in the shorelines of the Chukchi Sea, as well as evidence of some 9,000 years of human habitation. The park's central features, 114 beach ridges at the eponymous cape, alternate between sandy and gravelly ridges and narrow ponds. Located entirely above the Arctic Circle in a region of permafrost, the monument's lands include typical thermokarst features.
Cape Krusenstern National Monument comprises the coast of the Chukchi Sea from the opening of the Hotham Inlet at the mouth of the Kobuk River, extending northwards along the coast to a point just short of Imikruk Lagoon. It extends inland toward the Kobuk Valley about 20 miles (32 km), with a high point in the north at Kikmiksot Mountain 2,285 feet (696 m)) in the Mulgrave Hills and in the south at Mount Noak (2,010 feet (610 m)) in the Igichuk Hills. The coastline is marked by a series of lagoons separated from the sea by sandspits. The largest is the Krusenstern Lagoon at Cape Krusenstern.Others include the Kotlik Lagoon, Imik Lagoon and Aukulak Lagoon.
The local bedrock is composed of limestone, dolomite, phyllite and chert from the Precambrian through Devonian times. The land was glaciated during the Illinoian glaciation, but was free of permanent ice during the Wisconsonian glaciation. Longshore currents have deposited beach ridges since the for 6,000 years.
The archeological district comprises 114 ancient beach ridges which formed approximately 60 years apart. They provide a sequential look at over 5000 years of habitation. The area in the National Historic Landmark District is vast, making this one of the largest NHLs in the U.S., along with the Adirondack Park. The national historic landmark district was designated on November 7, 1973.
The beach ridges are the primary reason for the area's preservation, which serves to safeguard evidence of 5,000 years of occupation by the Inupiat people, and more than 9,000 years of human occupation. Initial investigations by archaeologist J. Louis Giddings in the late 1940s found campsites on the cape as much as 4,000 years old, and even older sites on the mainland. University of Washington researchers have undertaken several years of excavations to document about one third of the 9,000-acre (3,600 ha) beach complex. Researchers found campsites, hearths and animal bones, with a few stone tools and pieces of pottery. In newer locations the team documented the remains of semi-subterranean houses built into the beach ridges.
The oldest mainland sites such as Battle Rock, Rabbit Mountain and the Lower Bench date to the Paleo-Arctic Tradition, about 10,000 to 7,000 years before present. Similar materials have been recovered in the Trail Creek caves of Bering Land Bridge National Preserve on the Seward Peninsula. The Palisades site has yielded materials from the Northern Archaic period dating to about 6,000 years before the present. Later periods described in the region include the Arctic Small Tool tradition and the Northern Maritime tradition. The western Thule culture, which used dogs and seal oil extended from 950 AD to 1400, and was succeeded by the Kotzebue culture from about 1400 to about 1850, when Europeans began to have an impact on native cultures. Kotzebue sites are widespread within the monument.
Europeans visited the Cape Krusenstern region to pursue whales beginning in the 1850s. During the American Civil War the Confederate raider CSS Shenandoah captured whalers in the area. In early modern times the Kotzebue area was the site of an Iqatngut," a kind of trade fair for the region's native people. The Iqatngut tradition died out with the foundation of Nome as the region's principal town in the early 20th century. A short-lived gold rush brought prospectors to the Seward Peninsula and Kotzebue in the 1890s. A few 20th century structures exist in the monument, including an Alaska Road Commission cabin at Anigaaq that has been evaluated for historic significance.[7] In the 1950s the area's lack of good natural harbors, a desire to develop the Alaskan frontier facing the Soviet Union and the Operation Plowshare drive for the peaceful use of nuclear weapons brought proposals for Operation Chariot, a proposed deepwater harbor at Cape Thompson 50 miles (80 km) northwest of the monument, to be excavated using nuclear devices. The project, though popular elsewhere in Alaska, was opposed by native leaders and was discarded.
The lands within the monument, which lies entirely above the Arctic Circle, are all tundra in which the permafrost dominates soils and vegetation.[12] The monument is in a permafrost region. In the lowland areas the land is shaped by thermokarst forces. Typical thermokarst features seen in the monument include pingos, polygon ice wedges and thaw ponds.[7] Low vegetation covers the land, mainly in tussocks of cottongrass, with shrubby growth of willow, Labrador tea, dwarf birch, mountain alder and other species in moist tundra areas. Wetter aras in the southern part of the monument feature grasses and sedges. Upland regions are artic tundra, with lichen, saxifrage, willow and heather. Few trees grow, and the white spruce that do grow are confined to the southeastern corner of the monument.
The coastal region supports a variety of large terrestrial and marine mammals. The abundant caribou are part of the West Large predators include brown bears and gray wolves. Smaller mammals include snowshoe and arctic hares, weasels, mink, otters, porcupines and a few wolverines. Marine mammals in or near monument waters include fin, bowhead, gray and beluga whales. Seal species include ringed, spotted, bearded and ribbon seals, with occasional walruses. Ringed seals are hunted by native subsistence hunters, and occasionally beluga whales and walrus are hunted as well.

7. Fort Pulaski
a. Located in Georgia and established as a national monument on October 15, 1924. In 1862 during the American Civil War, the Union Army successfully tested a rifled cannon against the defending Confederates, rendering brick fortifications obsolete. Fort Pulaski was also used as a prisoner-of-war camp during the war. The national monument includes most of Cockspur Island (containing the fort) and all of adjacent McQueens Island.
b.
c. Fort Pulaski National Monument is located between Savannah and Tybee Island, Georgia. It preserves Fort Pulaski, where in 1862 during the American Civil War, the Union Army successfully tested a rifled cannon, the success of which rendered brick fortifications obsolete. The fort was also used as a prisoner-of-war camp. The National Monument includes most of Cockspur Island (containing the fort) and all of adjacent McQueens Island.
Following the War of 1812, U.S. President James Madison ordered a new system of coastal fortifications to protect the United States against foreign invasion. Construction of a fort to protect the port of Savannah began in 1829 under the direction of Major General Babcock, and later Second Lieutenant Robert E. Lee, a recent graduate of West Point. The new fort would be located on Cockspur Island at the mouth of the Savannah River. In 1833, the facility was named Fort Pulaski in honor of Kazimierz Pulaski, a Polish soldier and military commander who fought in the American Revolution under the command of George Washington. Pulaski was a noted cavalryman and played a large role in training Revolutionary troops. He took part in the sieges of Charleston and of Savannah.
Fort Pulaski belonged to what is known as the Third System of coastal fortifications, which were characterized by greater structural durability than the earlier works. Most of the nearly thirty Third System forts built after 1816 still exist along either the Atlantic or Gulf coasts.
Wooden pilings were sunk up to 70 feet (21.3 m) into the mud to support an estimated 25,000,000 bricks. Fort Pulaski was finally completed in 1847 following eighteen years of construction and nearly $1 million in construction costs.
Walls were eleven feet thick, thought to be impenetrable except by only the largest land artillery- which at the time were smooth bore cannon. These cannons had a range of only around a half mile, and the nearest land (Tybee island) was much further away than that. It was assumed that the Fort would be invincible to enemy attack. LT Lee remarked that "one might as well bombard the Rocky Mountains as Fort Pulaski".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Pulas ... l_Monument" target="_blank

14. Mount St. Helens
a. Following the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens, this area was set aside for research, recreation, and education. The environment is left to respond naturally to the disturbance
b.
c. Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument is a U.S. National Monument that includes the area around Mount St. Helens in Washington. It was established on August 27, 1982 by U.S. President Ronald Reagan following the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens. The 110,000 acre (445 km2) National Volcanic Monument was set-aside for research, recreation, and education. Inside the Monument, the environment is left to respond naturally to the disturbance.
Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument was the United States' first such monument managed by the U.S. Forest Service. At dedication ceremonies on May 18, 1983, Max Peterson, head of the USFS, said, "we can take pride in having preserved the unique episode of natural history for future generations." Since then, many trails, viewpoints, information stations, campgrounds, and picnic areas have been established to accommodate the increasing number of visitors each year.
Beginning in the summer of 1983, visitors have been able to drive to Windy Ridge, only 4 miles (6.4 km) northeast of the crater.
Mountain climbing to the summit of the volcano has been allowed since 1986.
A visitor center was completed in December 1986 at Silver Lake, about 30 miles (48 km) west of Mount St. Helens and five miles (8 km) east of Interstate Highway 5. By the end of 1989, the Center had hosted more than 1.5 million visitors.
The Mount St. Helens Visitor Center at Silver Lake opened in 1987, and is now operated by the Washington State Park System. Exhibits include the area's culture and history, and the natural history and geology of the volcano and the eruption, including the recovery of the area's vegetation and animal life. The Center includes a theater, a gift shop and outdoor trails. A small admission fee is charged.
The Center was formerly operated by the U.S. Forest Service, and due to its location near Seaquest State Park, it is also known as Mount St. Helens Visitor Center at Seaquest State Park.
Desiree Witt
It’s not not IF you will recover but WHEN you will.
You can NEVER have too many cross stitch patterns! :D
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:D Glad you got a breather for a little while today. Don't worry about catching us up, either. Bingo is supposed to be relaxing and fun, even for the "number caller".

2 more for me today brings me to 5/10 so I reached the halfway mark. Very interesting. I thought the info on Fort Pulaski very informative. There is something about the older forts that were built that is intriguing to me.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat