Australasia Bingo-with some additions.BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Dragonrider

Re: Australasia Bingo-with some additions. Day 8 Up Now

Post by Dragonrider »

:applesauce: love the pictures. 4/10 :D
Heidi x
ImageImage
WIP
Fireplace
Our Moon
Alex's Octopus
Moonlit Cottage
Finished in 2013
Cleaning can wait
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Got both today, so I'm up to 8/10!

We have bats around here, but only small ones. It would be quite startling to see such a big one fly by!
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Here I am again with todays numbers for you and they are # 10 and # 20.

#10 is the Mirror Lakes. Fiorjdland (NZ)

I have already mentioned these when talking about Milford as they are on the road into Milford Sound. They lie between Lake Te Anau and the entrance to the Home Tunnel, the entrance to the Sound.

Seen as we did in the early morning (around 7am ish I think) before any winds or gales get up, the lake is a mirror. I have never quite worked out which way is up on this photo. Just a little walk down the road brought us to a roaring small river as is rushed and tumbled over rocks. Sadly that picture seems to have vanished from my book but I will always remember it, if only for the noise it made as it rushed down the gorge.

# 20 the Galahs.

No not people, its the birds called Galahs. If any one from down under calls you a "galard" it means you are a twit/silly/perhaps gullable person. Its not heard as often now but still pops up from time to time.

I included it in the Bingo round as I have always enjoyed seeing them when I lived in Melbourne. An early morning walk around the footy (rugby league) field often had quite a large flock of them busy getting breakfast. At other times, especially in the late afternoon or evening they would gather on the electrcity lines out in the street and chatter away madly - no doubt telling about all they had seen and done that day. They are of course of the parrot family but their voice is not as annoying (to me anyway) as the dratted cockatiels we have up here. They are of course Australian natives and rarely seen in NZ outside of pet shops.

So there are today's numbers. Do check your numbers carefully - we have one or two folk who are now quite close to call bingo.

Good Luck :shamrock: :x: to everyone.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
bookknurd

Re: Australasia Bingo-with some additions. Day 9 Up Now

Post by bookknurd »

The lovely Galahs have given me 9/10! :dance:
wwdiva

Post by wwdiva »

6/10 today with the delishisly pink galahs.
Cheers :toast:
cairee

Post by cairee »

no numbers through the weekend leaving me trailing at 5/10
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
millymolly

Post by millymolly »

oh 6 today with both numbers :)
Amanda =]

WIP
Cloudsfactory Epic Potter & Cut thru Pirate Ship
HAED Mini Awakening Spring Fairy
Shameful UFOs Thread here 3 of 25 finished
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Up to six with all my picks.
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Its getting exciting now isn't it with verajane on 9 and quite a few on 6 or 7. So here are tonights numbers. They are # 12and number # 29 Good Luck

Here is # 12 Mt Ruapehu - 1 of our active volcanoes!

Image[

Ruapehu (pronounced ruapaywho) is the highest of the 3 volcanes making up the Tongariro National Park - Mt Ngauruhoe is the 3rd one. Ruapehu is the more active of these in my memory and the horrible events of Christmas Eve 1963 will always remain in memory I think. Ruapehu erupted and the dam wall burst sending a huge laha down the Whangahu River and from there into the Tangiwai River (means wailing waters). A fully loaded passenger train which runs from Auckland to Wellington was cross the Tangiwai Bridge when the laha hit and 151 dear souls were killed. This has resulted in huge changes to the ski filelds on the slopes of Tongariro and Ruapehu along with a wide gully loaded with instrucments for any future laha to travel safely away from civilisation. Its most recent warnings were late in 2012.

White Island - just off the coast is also very active and it actually sits on the rim of a subterrainean volcano!!!! Maori legend says that White Island is the 'safety vavle' for the other 3.

# 29 Bridge over the Atlantic Ocean.

This cute little bridge lies between Oban and the island of Seil and yes in actual fact it does span the Atlantic. The waters underneath are salt water and flow into a wider basin where boats are moored - not sure how they get out there must be another outlet further round -I didn't think to ask my lovely Scots friend about that. Seil is an artists/craft colony, not very large at all and with some interesting shops and we had a lovely cuppa there too.

So that is tonight's draw. Hope it has helped some of you to get that much closer to Bingo.

Good Luck everyone. :D

WIPS
jocellogirl

Re: Australasia Bingo-with some additions. Day 10 Up Now

Post by jocellogirl »

Fascinating info Sally, which incidentally has brought me to 8/10 :dance: .
Love the inclusion of Bridge over the Atlantic, as we crossed the bridge when we visited Seil many years ago.
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

None for me today, though one was close! Still at 9/10.

All of these geographical bingos are making me want to pack up and take a trip around the world! Thanks again for the great info and pictures.
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

7/10! Loving the pictures and stories! :D
wwdiva

Post by wwdiva »

Another one today so 7/10!
Sad to here about the lost lives when the volcano erupted :(
Love the little bridge over the Atlantic.
Cheers :toast:
kiwirach

Post by kiwirach »

Squirrel wrote:Its getting exciting now isn't it with verajane on 9 and quite a few on 6 or 7. So here are tonights numbers. They are # 12and number # 29 Good Luck

Here is # 12 Mt Ruapehu - 1 of our active volcanoes!

Image[

Ruapehu (pronounced ruapaywho) is the highest of the 3 volcanes making up the Tongariro National Park - Mt Ngauruhoe is the 3rd one. Ruapehu is the more active of these in my memory and the horrible events of Christmas Eve 1963 will always remain in memory I think. Ruapehu erupted and the dam wall burst sending a huge laha down the Whangahu River and from there into the Tangiwai River (means wailing waters). A fully loaded passenger train which runs from Auckland to Wellington was cross the Tangiwai Bridge when the laha hit and 151 dear souls were killed. This has resulted in huge changes to the ski filelds on the slopes of Tongariro and Ruapehu along with a wide gully loaded with instrucments for any future laha to travel safely away from civilisation. Its most recent warnings were late in 2012.
small side track for the movie lovers amongst you - there is a NZ movie about this rail disaster and the love story of a prominent NZ cricketer of the day and his fiance who was on that train.
its called 'Tangiwai - a love story', and its a lovely movie to watch.

really enjoying reading all the info in this bingo.
my blog

WIP
Little House Neighbourhood - LHN
StitchingEs

Post by StitchingEs »

8/10 :dance: :dance: Loving this bingo :applesauce: :applesauce:
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I don't remember hearing about the movie TAngiwai Rach - thanks for passing the info on. That and the Wahine disaster plus the snow in 1945 - first I had ever seen - are all big memories.

:lol:

WIPS
kiwirach

Post by kiwirach »

Squirrel wrote:I don't remember hearing about the movie TAngiwai Rach - thanks for passing the info on. That and the Wahine disaster plus the snow in 1945 - first I had ever seen - are all big memories.

:lol:
I think it was only released a couple of years ago - but I've seen it twice on the sky movie channels here in the UK!
my blog

WIP
Little House Neighbourhood - LHN
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Good evening All - at least I know its evening - not sure about the good though - the dogs are playing up big time.
However today's numbers are # 12 and #29.

# 12 the beautiful Lake Tekapo.

WIPS
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Good evening All - at least I know its evening - not sure about the good though - the dogs are playing up big time.
However today's numbers are # 6 and #19.

# 6 the beautiful Lake Tekapo.

Beautiful Lake Tekapo covers an area of 83 square miles and is in the Mackenzie Basin in the Central South Island of NZ. This photo I took from the bus and shows way off in the distance Mr Cook standing proudly there. Not a brilliant pic
but the best of what I have. It is a lunch stop on the way to Queenstown and when driving myself I always took an hour's break there and had a walk around the foreshore, find a place to have my lunch and just relax before continuing on to Queenstown.
It also has a large hydro electricity complex of machines dams and canals. Almost all NZ's power supply is hydro generated supply with the occasional boost in mid winter from a coal fired station in the North Island. Milford Sound area also has a smaller hydro scheme I think - may kiwirach can clarify that please - my memory gets a bit hazy sometimes.

# 19 Mt Arapiles (prounouced a-rap-il - eeeeees)

This is a web shot of the world class climbing area which is highly thought of by those who indulge in such past times. It looked pretty impressive too. It is by no means a high mountain - just a large hill in my book but like many such "hills" it gets called a moutain. Aussie does have some fairly high mountains down south - the Snowy's in NSW and some of the ski-ing ares in Victoria and Tasmania.

This is a picture I took from a little plateau near the start of the track up to the top and shows the countryside looking back towards Horsham in central Victoria where I was staying with my eldest son and family. The water in the distance is a stock drinking pool - fairly deep I believe but has been known to dry out during the many times of drought this country experiences.

So a little more of my familiar territory in New Zealand and Australia.

Please everyone check your numbers carefully - someone has to win bingo either today or in the next 3 days!!!! Getting exciting.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE, especially those oh so close
Last edited by Squirrel on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:16 am, edited 6 times in total.

WIPS
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Still stuck on 6. Loving the info. My sister lived in Melbourne for several years but I never got to go and see her as my work wouldn't give me more than a week off.

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village