Australasia Bingo-with some additions.BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Ketta

Re: Australasia Bingo-with some additions. Day 5 Drawn

Post by Ketta »

Up to 4/10! It's amazing how similar the ferns in New Zealand are to those here in the Pacific Northwest. Perhaps it's why I'm drawn so much to NZ? Perhaps I will plan a trip there within the next year or so--I definitely need to if I'm thinking of living there!
Blog: http://ketta-ketta.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=12786" target="_blank" target="_blank (bug)

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=13419" target="_blank (Serenity)
Squirrel

Re: Australasia Bingo-with some additions. Day 5 Drawn

Post by Squirrel »

Here we are at day 6 - wonder how everyone is going now.

Todays numbers are # 5 and # 26

# 5 Hope River

This was a favourite stopping place of ours to boil the billy on the way to the West Coast or just for a day out. The river is visible in the background, and in midsummer it can be much smaller. The kids knew the drill, go get the water from a pool of flowing water whilst I got the fire going.
I think the day it was most appreciated was when we had 2 Canadian sailors in the car with us on the way to visit my sister and BIL at Maruia Springs. They had been out late the night before, hard to get up in the morning and didn't really want breakfast. So I parcelled up the sausages in plenty of newspaper (a great thing for keeping things warm or cold) and we headed off. I decided to make a stop at Hope River rather than drive on by and boil the billy so they could get some more coffee at least.

Later at the farm ( DS & BIL share milked a large herd) word came that the big old boar had been sighted so off the men went for a pig hunt - din't get him either - far too slippery for them. :D

# 26 The Poinciana or Australian Christmas Tree I call it.

The smaller version is used widely as a street treee in and around Brisbane and is in full flower November and December. The flowers are only on the top so many call it the umbrella tree. It is a wonderful sight to turn the corner and see a street lined both sides with these fabulous crimson flowers.

There is also the Royal Poinciana which grows to over 50 ft. and flowers in the same way - only on top. Both varieties are evergreen and the one in this photograph is right next door and about 40 - 45 ft high now. I live on the 2nd storey of this house and have to go close to the window to see the top of it!

In the corner of the photo you will see a scarlet creeper which is a lovely sight at present and the colour of these flowers are very similar to the Poinciana.

Good Luck everyone. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
bookknurd

Re: Australasia Bingo-with some additions. Day 6 Drawn

Post by bookknurd »

No numbers for me today, but still loving all of the info and pictures!
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

none for me either, but love the pictures and the info. The color of the blooms on the tree is gorgeous. that is one tree I would love to see live and upclose. The picture didn't enlarge (happens to me sometimes too) but from a difference reminds me of the mimosa tree we have here (I have a huge one in my front yard and two monster sized ones in the back). Colors aren't brilliant like your tree though. That would be awesome!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

5/10

I've never seen a full sized poinciana before!!

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
wwdiva

Post by wwdiva »

The poinciana trees are stunning. Were they pruned out to get the beautiful openness to them or do the grow naturally that way? Note to self... Visit Aus in November so I can see this in bloom.
Oh and by the way, no numbers today.
Cheers :toast:
StitchingEs

Post by StitchingEs »

5/10 :)

Those Poinciana trees are beautiful! They have lovely trees in Australia.
cairee

Post by cairee »

4/10 today
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

wwdiva - the Poincianna just grows that way which makes it even more amazing. There is nothing underneath the canopy at all - until the huge seed pods arrive that is. They do hang down as they are several inches long and heavy. Hurt if they bop you on the head too!

StitchingEs I agree amongst all the different greens there are some very colourful trees, shrubs and climbers. Sadly I have not see 1 wattle tree up here In Brisbane although I did see a few down in Melbourne where I lived. The wattle is the National Flower and there was miles of it back home in people's gardens.

WIPS
Squirrel

Re: Australasia Bingo-with some additions. Day 7 Drawn

Post by Squirrel »

A whole week gone by and some are doing well and others not so well. Good luck everyone. Todays numbers are #1 and # 11

# 1 The Cathedral in The Square - as it was.

The lovely stone Cathedral is an icon for the city and used to sit right in the heart of the city. Sadly is sustained damage in the first quake and when the 2nd one came along much of the front and some of the side chapels fell. It is still partially standing whilst vigorous discussion takes place as to whether it can be rebuilt in its previous form, or something more modern put in its place.

I have been inside it for many services over the years as had my parents and sister. The Annual service at the beginning of the Deep Freeze Season was always a must and great to see the Stars and Stripes as well as the Base Flag come in. The Annual Remembrance Service was always especially moving.

Its Interim Replacement - The Cardboard Cathedral

URL=http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/Squir ... 1.jpg.html]Image[

I don't think you can get anything more modern than the Interim Replacement, the Cardboard Cathedral. Yes cardbaord is what the Cathedral is built with. There is lots of info on the web. It has been built in Latimer Square, about 10 min walk from the Cathedral in The Square and was opened about 2 weeks ago for the dedication and first service.

# 11 Mitre Peak and

Milford Sound.

URL=http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/Squir ... f.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

Milford Sound is a beautiful area to visit should the road be open. Its right down the bottom of the South Island of NZ and the road down there is a most interesting drive - especially through the Homer Tunnel which is the entrance to the Sound. It is a part of the Fiorjdland National Park with fabulous moutaineering opportunities. Heavy rainfall as well as snowfalls often bring down slips onto the roads before the tunnel hence its unpredicatable tag of "a must to see if the road is open"

You will need plenty of mosquito repellent as they sit and wait for new victims the other side of the tunnel. I was blest to make a trip down there with friends of Kevin and we made some stops along the way looking at Lake Te Anau, then the Mirror Lakes and finally the Sound. we also took a launch trip down the fiorjd
to the Tasman Sea. It had been raining (surprise surprise I don't think) so the many waterfalls down both sides of the sea were fabulous.
My picture of the sound is taken whilst Mitre Peak is still visible in the back ground.

Hope these numbers help some of you to get a few more on the board. :D
Last edited by Squirrel on Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

WIPS
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

PS My apologies that the Cardboard Cathedral won't enlarge or my pic of Mildford Sound. I have put it in a couple of times and it just won't do it. The craziness continues with my ' put together computer.'

Also the sorry about the large white area around my photos which have been scanned. I have very limited editing ability with this programme so try and pretend it isn't there. However we get there in the end hopefully :lol: :lol: .

WIPS
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Yay, up to 6/10 today with Milford Sound!
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
cairee

Post by cairee »

one more today makes 5/10
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
wwdiva

Post by wwdiva »

Still at 5/10 today. I googled the Cardboard Cathedral. Very cool. Sure wouldn't work here in Vancouver. It would be a soggy mess in no time.
Do Poinciana trees grow in California? I have seen something similar when visiting there and was hit on the head with a huge seed pod. :tantrum:
Thanks for more wonderful info. Fun.
Cheers :toast:
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Wow... I hope they decide to restore that beautiful cathedral. Although the cardboard one is certainly unique!

Gorgeous photos!!
millymolly

Post by millymolly »

3 for me so far :) loving the pics
Amanda =]

WIP
Cloudsfactory Epic Potter & Cut thru Pirate Ship
HAED Mini Awakening Spring Fairy
Shameful UFOs Thread here 3 of 25 finished
Dragonrider

Post by Dragonrider »

4/10 :D
Heidi x
ImageImage
WIP
Fireplace
Our Moon
Alex's Octopus
Moonlit Cottage
Finished in 2013
Cleaning can wait
Squirrel

Re: Australasia Bingo-with some additions. Day 8 Up Now

Post by Squirrel »

Okay everyeon here is Day 8's numbers they are # 24 and # 27

#24 is the Tree Top Walk with my own pics.

The famous Tree Top Walk amongst the giants near Walpole or Denmark in W Australia - down south of Perth.
First picture I took is of my youngest son up on the top walkway. It was a lot of fun and seemed quite strange to be looking down onto the tops of some of the trees. This was taken at 8.15am - and we had walked up to the top fairly quickly and very easily as a bus load or two of Asian tourists had just arrived,so we were off. They are magnificent trees and it was a wonderful experience to be 40m up above ground.

The second pic is of Chris standing inside the burnt out hollow of a large redwood. There were a lot of them with such huge gaps down low and its amazing that they not only survived the many bushfires but continued to grow to the great heights they are. Truly a day to remember.

# 27 Bats or Flying Foxes - I am never quite sure of the difference.

I have used this picture of the black flying fox to show you its size as much as anything and to tell you that these fly past my bedroom windows several nights
a week! They have a wing span of up to 3ft ( over 1m) and are quite scary. One evening just as it was getting dark I was outside trying to get Tuppence inside and one flew overhead - scary things out in the open - and he came racing up from down the back yard and inside fast.
I love lying in bed at night watching incoming flights and the stars and satelites going overhead and of course assorted wild life.
There are smaller bats around the property from time to time, I hear them but have yet to see them - not in any hurry to either.

So there is a bit of Australia for you, just to make a change from NZ.

Hope you all have some luck with these 2 numbers. Jenny's picks tomorrow night.

WIPS
millymolly

Post by millymolly »

4 now for me with the tree top walk! looks great :D
Amanda =]

WIP
Cloudsfactory Epic Potter & Cut thru Pirate Ship
HAED Mini Awakening Spring Fairy
Shameful UFOs Thread here 3 of 25 finished
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Bats/flying foxes gets me to 6/10.

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village