Hardanger

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

agi

Hardanger

Post by agi »

I have done my very first ever hardanger piece. I learnt it on the Internet.

I have some questions, Jilly, :snoopy: please, and everyone else, who knows how to do this.

1. I did it on a piece of leftover fabric, that I use for practice. It is very soft, and I think it is a kind of evenwave. What is the real hardenger fabric like? Is it stiff? Is it evenwave or does it have threads woven 2X2 as aida?

2. How on earth do you cut so that the threads' end doesn't stick out as it does for me? I didn't dare to cut closer, I was afraid of cutting the thread. And how does it not fray?

3. What do you do with the ends of the thread? The stitches are too loose to hold it, if I weave it under them at the back.

4. And I feel that the stitches of the Kloster (see my technical vocab?) are too far apart - is that right? And I know I made a mistake in wrapping the bars - there is not the same number of wraps everywhere - but next time I wil do it better. (I hope)

Can you please help me to improve? Thanks
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
carolyn61

Re: Hardanger

Post by carolyn61 »

From me to you :applesauce: . I have long admired hardanger. I think it is beautiful but the thought of cutting threads terrifies me. I'd love to learn it, but I think maybe I'm the kind of person who has to be shown (in person) as opposed to learning on the internet. I think my head is too thick to absorb something visually only. I need someone to sit next to me and take me step by step. :oops:

Congratulations for trying something new and daring!
Carolyn
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Serinde has the most experience of Hardanger, I have only dabbled as yet Agi :D
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Well done Agi, and :applesauce: :applesauce: for jumping in and trying lots of new things!

I tried a bit of hardanger recently, just one square to see how it worked, and like you I couldn't seem to get the ends snipped closely enough, so I'd be very interested to hear from experienced hardangerers (new word?) about this.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

benceagi wrote:I have done my very first ever hardanger piece. I learnt it on the Internet.

I have some questions, Jilly, :snoopy: please, and everyone else, who knows how to do this.

1. I did it on a piece of leftover fabric, that I use for practice. It is very soft, and I think it is a kind of evenwave. What is the real hardenger fabric like? Is it stiff? Is it evenwave or does it have threads woven 2X2 as aida?

2. How on earth do you cut so that the threads' end doesn't stick out as it does for me? I didn't dare to cut closer, I was afraid of cutting the thread. And how does it not fray?

3. What do you do with the ends of the thread? The stitches are too loose to hold it, if I weave it under them at the back.

4. And I feel that the stitches of the Kloster (see my technical vocab?) are too far apart - is that right? And I know I made a mistake in wrapping the bars - there is not the same number of wraps everywhere - but next time I wil do it better. (I hope)

Can you please help me to improve? Thanks
You have made an excellent start! Let's see if I can answer your questions.
1. Hardanger fabric is 22ct and woven in pairs of threads. It's very easy to use and comes in lots of colours. Of course, you can use almost any evenweave fabric for hardanger. Several more common fabrics are called congress cloth and Oslo, although my personal favourite is Lugana.

2. Cutting can be scary. Two things help: nerves of steel and a very sharp pair of small, pointed scissors, sharp all the way to the point. Don't worry about the little bits that stick out. They disappear in time, especially if you incorporate filling stitches, which are the fun part of hardanger. If you should miscut (and I've done it), it's very simple either to reweave a thread into the place the mistake was made, or simply wrap or weave over three threads instead of four... :oops:

3. Start your kloster blocks with quite a long away waste-knot, and always start in the middle of the block (stitch 3, if you see what I mean, of the five that make up the block. How to finish? I quote here from Jill Carter's Hardanger Embroidery, p 18: "To finish off kloster blocks, take the thread to the back and slip through the 'tunnels' formed by the blocks. Come up through the second block and take a back stitch over the middle thread. Hold the block and pull tightly to set the stitch firmly in position." You may need to go through several blocks to find one you haven't used to tie off stitches.

4. Are you using the right thread on the right fabric?
22ct fabric: Pearl cotton 5 for the kloster blocks and satin stitch; Pearl cotton 8 for the needleweaving
25 or finer counts: Pearl cotton 8 for satin stitches and Pearl cotton 12 for needleweaving.
I've never done this, but I suspect if you are doing REALLY fine work (40ct or above) you would need number 12 for the satin stitch and a single strand of floss for the needleweaving.
Of course, Pearl (or purl) cotton isn't the only thread you can use. Caron threads work well, for example. What you are looking for is a single twisted thread of the right weight.

Some people are very persnickity about the number of wraps. I personally feel that enough should cover the space, but have found that an odd number generally works best, and when you get to doing picots and stuff like that, odd numbers come into their own. Some embroidery books say a wrapped bar should have seven 'wraps'. I guess that would make sure your tension wasn't too tight, but life's too short, you know?

Here are two books, in English, that I think are excellent for the beginner:
Easing into Hardanger is the best beginners book I've ever used. The designs are good, too: http://www.stitchdirect.com/shopWebSite ... p?plu=HB01" target="_blank" target="_blank
The Anchor Book of Hardanger Embroidery is a compendium of stitches and designs. Excellent: http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Book-Harda ... 0715319159" target="_blank" target="_blank

I find hardanger so relaxing and fun. It works up quickly, and looks much more difficult than it actually is -- at least at the beginning. How complex and embellished you make your designs is entirely up to you. I love hardanger! :wub:
Mabel Figworthy

Thanks Serinde, that is so instructive and helpful! :applesauce: :applesauce: :rose:
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
agi

Post by agi »

Thank you, Serinde! That helps a lot.
Actually I don't know what thread I was using :D - it's some leftover perle cotton from my mum's stash. Actually, I have only seen one size of Perle in our shops.
I find very often that most shops in Budapest are not really up to the job. They sell Aida, all right, but when I asked last time "what count", they looked at me as if I was crazy. It was 14, I realized, but they didn't know. Or size of needles - only in one of the shops did they hear about that. Unfortunately that was the most expensive shop, so I don't visit it too often.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."

My blog
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Is there any way I can help?
agi

Post by agi »

Thank you, Serinde... I don't even know. I think I will try some more when I have time, then I will look forward to your comments . is that OK?
Thanks a lot
Agi

My blog
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

:D I was actually thinking on a more practical level. You know, a bit of fabric and thread to get you started? As my D/H constantly tells me when we make yet another foray into the DIY shop and look at power tools: You have to have the right tools for the job!
agi

Post by agi »

I was thinking of looking around in one of the bigger shops with some better trained staff, and see what they have, and if they at least know what hardanger is (when I have some money). If I can't find any help there, I will write to you.
Thanks for the offer! :D
Agi

My blog
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

:D
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

Sorry i cant help, as what ur talking about i have no idea what it is lol.

The peice u have done above looks lovely, well done.
:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Hi,I took a quick class in hardanger and found it a fun challenge though that first cut was a bit of a scarey issue. I found a pair of scissors with a curve and very pointy help greatly. ....oh and a magnifier.
Alyson
WIP:
Mirabilia Christmas Elegance
Keeshond
Tropical Heart
agi

Post by agi »

Do you have any of your pieces to show us?
Agi

My blog
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Yes, please. We would love to see your hardanger. :applesauce:
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I'll have to dig around for pictures or take some. I know that I only have a picture of one that is a WIP but will post them next week.
WIP:
Mirabilia Christmas Elegance
Keeshond
Tropical Heart
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Classic Stitches No. 86 (April-June 2008) has a lovely hardanger sampler in shades of heathers and ecru. Pricey magazine, but I couldn't resist the design. Closed my eyes and dreamed of stitching... :shock:

(It will now enter the no-woman's-land known as the Things To Do One Day When I Ever Have A Spare Couple Of Days folder.) :neutral:
Mabel Figworthy

That sounds like a lovely colour combination, Serinde (white heather or purple :-)?) Don't worry -- One Day you will find the time to do it. One Day we will all find the time to work through our entire To Do list.

Of course we will *brave smile*
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

We will?????????????????? :shock:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog