Hardanger

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

Re: Hardanger

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Ah well, 'Hope springs eternal in the human breast' and all that (I bet Pope was a secret stitcher with a backlog of WIPs and To Dos :-))
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

*Pats 'to do' pile fondly*

Wouldn't it be lovely to think of this all done :wub: (and another pile of 'to do' :shock:).
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:That sounds like a lovely colour combination, Serinde (white heather or purple :-)?) Don't worry -- One Day you will find the time to do it. One Day we will all find the time to work through our entire To Do list.

Of course we will *brave smile*
Purples and mauves. I think it's called something like Mulberry Delight
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Serinde wrote:Classic Stitches No. 86 (April-June 2008) has a lovely hardanger sampler in shades of heathers and ecru. Pricey magazine, but I couldn't resist the design. Closed my eyes and dreamed of stitching... :shock:

(It will now enter the no-woman's-land known as the Things To Do One Day When I Ever Have A Spare Couple Of Days folder.) :neutral:
Sounds heavenly will have to keep an eye out for that one.
Big Hugs
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

It's called 'Mulberry moments' Lovely design, another for the 'must do' list
The piece of Quaker Cloth i got from Serinde in the fabric swap would do it justice I think. :D

Yes it is a pricey mag but they send it here (France) at an overland price of £21. AND I get it airmail!! :shock: It's every 2 months though.
http://www.classicstitches.com" target="_blank

They do back issues too.(Based in Scotland)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I've just put two finishes in my gallery, both hardanger, both nordic needlecraft designs: http://www.nordicneedlecraft.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

Neither of them were particularly difficult, and the green table runner would be simple for a beginner to attempt. You would certainly know how to turn corners in buttonhole stitch by the time you finished! The red placemat was only tricky in the placement of the white stars along the left-hand side. I must confess I didn't enjoy working with the silver metallic thread, and it never occurred to me I might change it for something that behaved better... :doh: . However, it looked fine when finished.
The one disadvantage of tableware is that everyone can see the back... :neutral: . Oh, and you will need to wash it. Curry sauce and hardanger... :shock:
Mabel Figworthy

They may not have been particularly difficult (and I'm not sure I believe that...) but golly they are effective! And if any of your guests are ungracious enough to turn over their place settings to check the backs, I'd have them clean every last bit of curry sauce they spill themselves :-)
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
mags

Post by mags »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:....if any of your guests are ungracious enough to turn over their place settings to check the backs, I'd have them clean every last bit of curry sauce they spill themselves :-)
Hear hear.

Serinde, they are beautiful. I haven't really tried Hardanger yet. Bought the stuff sometime ago but really need those reading glasses I keep harping on about to do it.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

There wonderful, well done :applesauce: :applesauce:
agi

Post by agi »

Fantastic! You have been working hard! :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

How long did they take you? I have been planning to do hardanger, but I am still at the stage of gathering my courage...
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Oh my!!!!!! :shock: They are stunning Serinde!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:
I especially love the green and won't believe for a second that is basic enough for a beginner to do!

*Wants to make one, but knows it's never gonna happen*
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

The pieces are beautiful! :applesauce:
WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

~threadbear~ wrote: I especially love the green and won't believe for a second that is basic enough for a beginner to do!

*Wants to make one, but knows it's never gonna happen*
Honestly, T'bear, the green piece isn't difficult, just long. :D The only stitches involved are kloster blocks (can you count to five?), buttonhole stitch, woven bars and dove's eyes. All very basic stitches, nothing fancy and no embellishments. The only tricky bit with this design is constantly turning corners with the buttonhole stitch, but there is a technique for that. Hey, presto. And hardanger works up very quickly.
Mabel Figworthy

I love the look of Hardanger work and have read quite a lot about it but I think I'll have to see it done before I actually "get" it. *wonders whether Serinde would be willing to do a workshop some time, and how far it is to Scotland from the Midlands...*
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Hey, all you need to do is get on a train to either Glasgow or Stirling. Nowhere is very far from anywhere else on this little island. I'm the one in Central Station with the :rose: in my lapel. :lol:

In the meantime, a very useful hardanger workshop is to be found in the New Stitches forum (also free). It includes both words and pictures. You'll pick it up in no time at all.
http://www.newstitches.co.uk/default.aspx" target="_blank The hardanger workshops are on page two.
charmagne_capalad

Post by charmagne_capalad »

...Your hardanger projects are really BEAUTIFUL, Serinde! :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
charmagne
"As we count our stitches...let us not forget to count our blessings..."
@mayneideas on instagram
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Really beautiful Serinde :wub: :wub: I do love the green one especially, it does look very long, judging by the way it is folded :shock: :shock:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Here are three little Hardanger Christmas designs which I will mount as cards and send to family. The holly and ivy ones are simply pearl cotton 5 and 8. The gothic window was stitched with DMC white and gold pearl cotton 5 with Kreinik very fine braid 002 for the square filets. The outline was an pearl 8 cotton.

Mabel Figworthy

These are just beautiful, the colours and the textures work wonderfully together -- I love the strong red and green of the holly ones, and the window is so delicate!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
agi

Post by agi »

Oh, they are so beautiful and unique, too! :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

(I have been waiting for 3 weeks now for my order of perle from sew and so :( )
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog