Where to start

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

redrose

Where to start

Post by redrose »

Hello, Im patiently waiting here in Australia for a pattern from USA. The pattern is coming in book form and apparently you start in the top left corner. I havent done it this way and was wondering if it can be started in the centre, or might this not work out. I hope someone can advise me. Good to meet you all.
~threadbear~

Re: Where to start

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Hello! :wave:
I can't really advise you I'm afraid as I've only ever worked from the centre. There are alot of experienced stitchers on this site though, so I'm sure you'll get a helpful answer soon.

Anyhow, just wanted to say 'Hi and welcome to the forum'.
:D
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

Hi welcome to the forum, aorry i cant help either but im sure someone will be able to help.
mags

Post by mags »

I rarely start from the centre and prefer to work from the top. As long as you count correctly there isn't a problem. I see no problem if you want to start a pattern from the middle if that is what you want to do - I am sure that the pattern will indicate where the centre is.

However, bear in mind that I don't do very large :lol:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
agi

Post by agi »

I agree with Mags, I am sure you can strat it from the middle, just be careful with the counting, and leave some extra width on the edges.
Why not use an erasable pen or something to mark the lines, then it is easier not to get lost in the pattern.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Ah, well. Depends on the pattern. It's true that one usually starts in the centre of designs, but little things, like bookmarks are often started (oddly) at the bottom right-hand corner.

I seem to do a lot of big designs, and yours sounds as if it is one, too. If the designers say to start in the corner, start in the corner! Once you have the design book, I would also suggest sewing in running stitches to mark off every 10 stitches in your fabric, both horizontally and vertically. Some designers suggest you do this, but go on to suggest paying particular attention to where each page ends (perhaps with a different colour thread). Seems a lot of work, but it will make stitching much easier in the long run.

Welcome, by the way! Hope you stick around and put this up as a SAL so we can cheer you on!
Rose

Post by Rose »

As with anything where you start a pattern is really your own choice. If you are more comfortable starting in the middle so you are sure of the placement then that is what you should do. I have never seen a pattern that does not have the middle marked, but that does not mean that they are not out there. As some others have said be sure to cut extra material so that you have a nice edge all the way around. I always(96%) start my patterns in the middle of my work. Now that does not mean that some of my stuff is not off by a bit but I feel much more comfortable when I stitch from the middle. Some designers like the way a project flows when you start in a corner but remember this is a personal preferance not a rule written in stone.

Welcome aboard and I hope we have helped and that you come back and visit us often. :D
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
redrose

Post by redrose »

Thank you all so much for the advice, and thanks for the welcome.It might be that I like to see the design evolve from the centre and you can really see it growing. Starting in the corner will all be background, but will have a good study of the pattern and see which way to go. I am assuming there will be quite a few pages with separate sections for the pattern and I have only worked with a full page pattern.
They who never try, never learn
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I think my habit of starting from the middle is due to my fear of not getting it in the middle and running off the edge, but anything goes if it works for you :D
nettie

Post by nettie »

I prefer to start in the middle but occasionally start from the corner. I agree it is personal preference. Judge it when you see the chart.
Serinde wrote:I would also suggest sewing in running stitches to mark off every 10 stitches in your fabric, both horizontally and vertically. Some designers suggest you do this, but go on to suggest paying particular attention to where each page ends (perhaps with a different colour thread). Seems a lot of work, but it will make stitching much easier in the long run.
Serinde, this a great tip I had never considered this. I have a couple of largish projects that I have been afraid to start but this may help me.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Have a look in the Gallery, under "Highest Rated" and you will see Majesty II, which shows the most perfect example of the sort of marker stitching I mean.
agi

Post by agi »

I do the same just not with stitches but a water erasable pen, that is easier for me.
I haven't used it much, but since I got lost on a few occasions, I use it for most things. If you look at the ATC round 2 posts, there is my butterfly - you can see it on the progress picture.

Somebody also said - I think it was Mabel, but not sure - that it is better to start with the boring part of the pattern, it drives you forward, because you want to get to the more interesting part. Otherwise, after finishing the interesting part, and only background left to do, you might loose interest in the piece and never finish. That might be a good idea to consider, methinks. :lol:
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Usually I start in the middle but my Christmas Elegance I started in the bottom corner due to the chunks of color and the way the pattern is. It fills the bottom of the fabric but only has small spots of beading in the upper third. Starting in the bottom corner I made sure I had a bit extra fabric in the directions I was heading...just to be safe.
WIP:
Mirabilia Christmas Elegance
Keeshond
Tropical Heart
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Serinde, I've never really done anything big enough to warrant putting in these marker stitches, but I'm fascinated by the idea -- what do you do with them when you 'reach' them? Take them out as you are cross stitching whenever you meet them? Cross stitch over them and then tease them out later?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

They will pull out if you are careful. If I have totally stitched over them, I leave them in.
The other trick I use is to choose a marker colour which is distinctive enough against the fabric, but isn't too bold in itself: to avoid showing through if you can't tease it out later. I suppose you could undo them as you go. Why not?
Rose

Post by Rose »

This is such an interesting section to come and visit. I may not use the tips but it is just so interesting to hear how others have solved a problem. I love it . Keep talking ladies you are fastinating.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
redrose

Post by redrose »

Thank you all for the tips ladies, and didnt even think of doing the background boring bits first (thank you Agi).Am waiting in anticipation for my patterns from USA in which Im doing "Full Chief" and "Maiden in Waiting" for my future daughter in law who absolutely loves American Indians, so with any luck might have them (or at least) one finished and framed for Christmas for her.