Large project on 32 ct linen

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

saporitc

Large project on 32 ct linen

Post by saporitc »

Hi, I am just about to start a large (50 x 60cm) project on linen and needing some advice before I start. I've done smaller projects and a hoop worked ok with holding the material, however I decided to buy a larger frame to work with this project but there are so many on the market I can't decide which one to go for...... can anyone give me some advice....many thanks
Rose

Re: Large project on 32 ct linen

Post by Rose »

Hello and Welcome saporitc, you are going to get lots of different suggestions from this site as well. Are you thinking of a roll type frame? I personally don't use those as the sides are left free and I don't like the way the tension holds. I use the frames called Q-snaps. They come in large sizes such as 17X17. When you first get them it take a while to figure out the best way to hold them but once you get the hang of them they are very wonderful. They do not have a stand to hold them yet but I am sure it won't be long and some one will figure out how to do it.

There are others on here tha use the roll frames before long I am sure they will be giving you advice.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
saporitc

Post by saporitc »

Thanks for this info...how do they hold the material in place and any idea where I can buy them? thanks again your input to this project is much appreciated.

Tina
Rose

Post by Rose »

Tina not sure if you are in the states or in Europe.

This site will get you direct to the inventor. This is where I ordered mine from. They are very nice to deal with. http://www.qsnap.com/needlework_frames.asp" target="_blank

This other one is a Europe version and has a good picture of how the material is attached to the frame. http://www.craftframes.fsnet.co.uk/" target="_blank

The second one does have a bit of a frame with it that would be nice but the cost of exchange and shipping here to the states is just to much for me. :(
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Good luck with the project! I love stitching on evenweave and 32 is a very nice count -- looks very fine but is still nice and visible to work on. I've worked on linen quite a bit as well and find it looks very good although it can be a bit of a pain to work on if the threads are very irregular, I mean when the threads are very unlike in thickness. But if you've got a fairly regular linen, it's lovely!

I've used it with a hoop but that does mark it a lot; I've only just discovered Qsnaps (or rather the UK equivalent) and would certainly use them now for any projects where I had to move the frame around.

Rose, can you tell us how Qsnaps behave when the clips are placed over an already stitched part?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Rose

Post by Rose »

I have had no problem with them at all. The piece stays tight unless I move it for some reason and it does not mess the stitches. It least mine has not. I really enjoy the Q'svery much and recommend them highly. :applesauce:
carolyn61

Post by carolyn61 »

I used the Q-Snaps that were sent to me (thanks again, Suehoward) to finish my wedding project and instantly fell in love with them. After years of wooden scroll frames, the Q-Snaps felt very light and it was wonderful being able to control the tension from all sides rather than just the two. I was worried about the loose fabric at first (the scroll frames roll the fabric into itself) but it was not a problem. Also, moving the fabric is much easier and faster with these.
I think if you are working a larger piece you might like these.
Carolyn
saporitc

Post by saporitc »

Thanks for all this info, I've decided to go with q snaps, probably buy the multi pack then I have the choice of having a larger frame if required, right I'm away to place an order can't wait until they arrive and I'll keep you posted as to how I am getting on with them.
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Saporitc, Where did you decide to get them from?

I'm still undecided whether to give them a go or not. I think I'll have to wait until I go somewhere they have a LNS, as I really want to see and hold one to see how comfy it feels.
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
saporitc

Post by saporitc »

Hiya, I've decided to go with the links I was given earlier, they also have other links to websites eg: sew & sew, however I think I'll go with them direct.

http://www.qsnap.com/needlework_frames.asp" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

This other one is a Europe version and has a good picture of how the material is attached to the frame.
http://www.craftframes.fsnet.co.uk/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Happy stitching
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Thank you :D

Let us know how you get on with them, for comfort etc wont you. Be interesting to get feed back on them from you.
:D
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
saporitc

Post by saporitc »

Yes, I'll post a reply when I've tried them out and pass my views on to others. Many thanks for all your help with this matter.

Happy stitching