Strangest place you've stitched?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

TracyG

Strangest place you've stitched?

Post by TracyG »

So, my husband and I frequently find ourselves at our local McDonald's...we've kind of made it our coffee shop, we'll drink our $1 drinks with free refills and talk for long periods of time with out the kids (it's really lovely to finally have a child old enough to babysit younger siblings, but that's an entirely different topic! :P ) Today, I decided to take my stitching with me (after I checked with DH to make sure it wouldn't be annoying or uncomfortable for him.) Anyway, as I sat there in a fast food joint, stitching and enjoying the company, I started to wonder about all of you and the strange places you may have found yourselves stitching? I'd love to hear your stories!
WIPs:
Hillside Travelers by LHN
The Library by LHN
Past, Present, and Future by Disney
Balloon Glow by Dimensions Gold
Little Sheep Virtues by LHN
HAED 12 Dancing Princesses
Grandma Twinkles by Janlynn
karen4bells

Re: Strangest place you've stitched?

Post by karen4bells »

I usually do most of my stitching at home, but I have been known to stitch in motel rooms when on vacation and one time even stitched in a waiting room at a doctor's office
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

In a bar.
I play on a trivia league. I wanted to get a piece done, so I brought it with me. Sitting in a booth.. no one, other than my own team, was paying any attention to what I was doing and I got a lot done.
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

Most of my stitching has been on a HAED, which isn't exactly portable so I stitch at home. I have however taken both knitting and spinning with me everywhere. I'll knit in coffee shops, bookstores, on the bus, train, in a car, in a casual restaurant (while waiting for food to arrive), and even in the movie theater - for plain stockinette, I can knit by touch, so watching a movie is the perfect time to get a couple of inches done on a sock. I've knitted while standing in line at the post office, and inbetween handing out bags of food at the foodbank I volunteer at. Actually, come to think of it, I have taken my cross stitch there too when I was working on ornaments. I dont get much done, but I figure a little during the down time while waiting for people to arrive is better than nothing. I've even knitted at work - the power went out once and since I can't do anything without my computer, I pulled my ever present knitting out and got quite a bit done!

I don't think any of these places are 'strange', but then I've reached the mentality that this is just what I do, get over it! I've gotten into great conversations with people because of it - people comment on the yarn I use (usually hand dyed or handspun) or on the item I'm making (usually fancy socks or delicate lace).

Oh.. the one experience that others thought was strange.. a fairly large group of us then met on an online board similar to this were on a yarn crawl.. and stopped for lunch between stores. We all sat down, ordered our food, and then to a person all 25 of us pulled out their knitting.. the look on the waitresses face when she returned to a group of 25 people, male and female, of every age group and varying ethnicities all knitting away was priceless.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

In hospital after the c section birth of my daughter.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
cairee

Post by cairee »

its a toss up between in a tent in the middle of nowhere ( 10 km of 4wd road, off a dirt road off of a two lane highway kind of nowhere) and in the lunchroom at work, I bring stitching to work all the time but it still looks out of place beside my hardhat and work gloves.
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
sian311

Post by sian311 »

I stitch pretty much anywhere, i have a smallish project that lives in my handbag so anytime im bored it van come out, generally on trains, resturants, on the platform at the train station. Ive got one at work for lunchtime, and then my biggest projects at home.

Although i have stitched when in the bath, guess thsts my weirdest one and im not sure id recommend it

My main WIPs

Wheres my mom (DMC)
Faces of Faery 70 (Jasmine Becket-Griffith)
White Lightning (Dimensions Gold Collection)
A Harbour town - Tenby (Michael Powell)
cairee

Post by cairee »

Although i have stitched when in the bath, guess thsts my weirdest one and im not sure id recommend it
:lol: I drop my needle way to often to even consider stitching in the tub :lol:
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
crosstitcher1

Post by crosstitcher1 »

When learning this hobby in 1983, and preg. with last child, I stitched at the drs. office,on vacations in lobby, while B/H takes his naps, never in a car, as I have to be the driver, vertigo problems when a passenger, stitched while visiting family, especially over my Moms, in B/H's hospital room, when B/H had his ear surgery in 2003, at funeral homes in their lunchroom, after greeting friends or family. But mainly, like others on here, at home is my best place.

HAPPY STITCHING IN STITCHING LAND. :applesauce: :D :applesauce: :D
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

I guess the car or starbucks not really strange...
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

I've stitched at work, coffee shops, and my LNS. I don't mind taking stitching or knitting to family gathering to work on either. Stitched in the airport as well (though I don't think I did on the plane, mostly because I had a headache).
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
fccs

Post by fccs »

No unusual places for me, really, but when my son was little, I would stitch while he was at swim lessons, karate, Little League. When he was in Royal Rangers (a church based group similar to Cub Scouts), I would stitch in the car during his meeting. When he took the SAT's for college, I did the same (he wasn't old enough to drive yet). And I used to stitch at my Weight Watchers meetings. Now I stitch at home, in hotels, at my kids' house, on my patio, and in a few months on a cruise ship.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
marniecat

Post by marniecat »

Home, work lunchbreaks, LNS, family gatherings, train, airplane.
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

I started Coniferous Forest in a haunted room in a castle in Scotland where we were staying on honeymoon. Hubby had gone out for a walk and I was stitching to take my mind off the creepiness of the room. I got totally engrossed in it and after a while saw a shadow figure out of the corner of my eye - it was Hubby pulling faces at me through the window - frightened the life out of me! :faint:
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

BizzieLizzie wrote:I started Coniferous Forest in a haunted room in a castle in Scotland where we were staying on honeymoon. Hubby had gone out for a walk and I was stitching to take my mind off the creepiness of the room. I got totally engrossed in it and after a while saw a shadow figure out of the corner of my eye - it was Hubby pulling faces at me through the window - frightened the life out of me! :faint:
@rotfl:

Naughty husband!! :lol:

Strangest place I have stitched is in a school chemistry lab....but then again that's where I work so not that strange I guess.
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Hospital is my strangest place so far, not very strange! But I don't get out much...

But I look back on my hour commutes when I was well and in London! it regret the chance I had then to stitch! but I didn't do it then!!

Nx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

I mostly stitch at home. A few times I stitched in a meeting room while my dh was attending board meetings for a club we used to be active in.

Now crochet is a different matter. I've worked on it many places, the most unusual was while standing in line for over an hour waiting to get the shot for H1N1 flu.
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

BizzieLizzie wrote:I started Coniferous Forest in a haunted room in a castle in Scotland where we were staying on honeymoon. Hubby had gone out for a walk and I was stitching to take my mind off the creepiness of the room. I got totally engrossed in it and after a while saw a shadow figure out of the corner of my eye - it was Hubby pulling faces at me through the window - frightened the life out of me! :faint:
I can think of at least a couple of times where I've been sitting on the couch, completely engrossed in stitching, and my husband has snuck up behind me and scared me. And we live in a modest sized apartment, where it shouldn't be easy to sneak up on someone!
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I mostly stitch at home but I have stitched at the beach (on the sand which was tricky), in airports but not much on the plane, in hospital waiting rooms, motel and hotel rooms. Nothing really unusual I think. I have taken my stitching with when my DH and I went on cruises but I don't think on either cruise I ever took the stitching out. Too much to do (even when in our cabin I would take my stitching on to our balcony but then we'd see flying fish or something else interesting and you can't look for flying fish and stitch at the same time). Debby, I wouldn't plan on getting a lot of stitching done on your cruise.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
destructiveernie

Post by destructiveernie »

Only stitch at home or at mum's. Since my daughter came along I've also taken little projects on holiday with us.

I used to stitch at work but since I changed jobs there's been no stitching at work as there's too much grease and oil!!!!
Emma

WIP:
HAED Faery Tales
Tilton Crafts - MCM Olde Worlde Map
HAED QS Lady Bug
Ink Circles The Bramble and the Rose
HAED Sistine Chapel
HAED Butterfly Wood
HAED SAL Teddy Bear Tree
Lucy - Charted by Skitzzzz