Aida vs. linen?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

katiestitch

Aida vs. linen?

Post by katiestitch »

Okay, I'm going to start my first HAED cross stitch project. . . .Mad Hatter by Hannah Lynn. My goal is to get it done for Christmas so that I can give it to my daughter as one of her presents.

I've only stitched on 14 ct Aida. If I were to do this project on 14 ct, it would be HUGE! I'm thinking of trying linen for the first time. What type and count should I use? I want the type of material that has uniform holes like Aida does. Just in case my stitching is not even, then my pattern won't look distorted. :?

Also, what size tapestry needle would I use for linen?

I'm going shopping for my linen and needles tomorrow.
rcperryls

Re: Aida vs. linen?

Post by rcperryls »

Good luck on your Mad Hatter. I think that there are other options besides linen which is probably not going to have the uniformity you are looking for. You might want to see if you can find some 22ct Hardanger fabric. It is pretty uniform . Or stick with Aida but go to a higher count. There is 18 ct Aida and I have seen some lovely HAED designs stitched on that. If you wanted to go with an evenweave there are also 18 cts, but since you want to have this done by Christmas (which is an admirable goal) I would think an 18 ct Aida or 22 ct Hardanger would be easier for you to stitch. This Cross Stitch Calculator will help you determine what size fabric you will need. I would probably use a size 24 or 26 or even a 28 needle. Whatever you are most comfortable with. And ask any questions you need to. Also consider joining the HAED BB (Bulletin Board). Lots of help and encouragement there also.

And don't forget to post lots of pictures!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

225 x 315

Have you thought of 18 ct aida or 22 ct hardanger?

On 18, image size would be 12.5 x 17.5
On 22, image size would be 10.25 x 14.5

90 colors, 20 page chart, 71,000 stitches.. I wouldn't categorize this as a Quick Stitch as HAED does.
katiestitch

Post by katiestitch »

Next question.

Would I use one or two threads for 18ct or 22 ct?

Maggie. . . .I know. . .I wouldn't say it's a quick stitch either! :) More like a life time stitch!! :D
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Theres a lot of black, and light pinky-beige. I would do those with 2 to get more coverage. The rest maybe with 1? Unless you think its noticeable when switching from 1 to 2 strands. I would test stitch a pattern block or two on the edge of whichever fabric you choose and see which one you like better- with your stitch tension, your needle, the color of your fabric, and this pattern.

I use a 26 needle for most projects I work on. If you are ordering supplies, or buying at a needlework shop that carries both Anchor and DMC.. I like to use Anchor's black instead of DMC. I think the fiber itself is a bit fuller when comparing the two. I now only use DMC black when backstitching. I would do the rest of the project with the DMC colors selected. Black is the only color I've noticed a difference between the brands (It was a tip I picked up on this board some time ago from other stitchers- and have since made the change myself)
Oriettait

Re: Aida vs. linen

Post by Oriettait »

If you never worked with linen before I would suggest you an evenweave as it is more regular.. 20 22 25 count would work fine, of course 18 count Aida would be as good.
If you never worked in so small count you might consider investing in a magnifier and good lighting too as it can be straining for the eyes.. i could not do without mine!
As for the thread... On 18 20 or 22 i would go with two strands, I am stitching on 22 my QS Ladybug and using Anchor black as Maggie suggested and it give me a great coverage.
On higher count, well I am tent stitching on the 25 count using still two strands, just dont want to give up starting with the loop! But If I would do full crosses I think one strand would be great, two too bulky.. This is ofcourse valid for me and my tension.
A suggestion I picked up here and followed was to test stitch on your fabrics of choice with several variation of colors so you can see how it will feel in confetti full areas.
Have fun with your new project! They are long going but so entertaining to stitch!
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
Ruthi

Post by Ruthi »

Lugana is a nicely substantial evenweave -ie the threads are quite thick and round to make for easy needle placement.

And the idea of tent stitching is excellent - it would take half the time!

(I am a hater of aida - so I stitch everything on evenweave or linen)
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

I was also going to suggest evenweave. You can get a higher count fabric to get the size you want, but you don't have to deal with the unevenness of something like linen.

I also have a HAED going on 18ct Aida, which I have loved.

Probably the best thing to do is to try out a few different fabrics, as well as stitching methods (like how many threads to use, over 1 vs. over 2, tenting vs. full cross, etc). It seems like a hassle but it's a much bigger issue to get far into such a huge project and realize you don't like the result you're getting.
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
Ruthi

Post by Ruthi »

I also remembered congress cloth, which is a very fine 24count canvas, so utterly even with relatively big holes for easy stitching. It is washable, although needs blocking afterwards to regain shape.

Limited colours available in the UK from West End embroidery, but lots more variations in the USA.