Frame for a longer (vs taller) project?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

mesonoxy

Frame for a longer (vs taller) project?

Post by mesonoxy »

Hi all (again) - another question! The project I'm about to start is longer than it is tall. (Take a look at it here: http://satsumastreet.blogspot.com.au/20 ... -fall.html) If I use a scroll frame, do I need the bars to be as long or longer than the project? I have a scroll frame but it is only half as long as the project, so I'm thinking I need to turn it on its side to work it, which feels sort of ungainly as I will need to hold the side with the fabric rolled over it, versus the bars.

What sort of frame would you use to work a project like this? Or would you use a hoop?

Thanks in advance! :sun:
fccs

Re: Frame for a longer (vs taller) project?

Post by fccs »

I would think scrolling it to the sides as you suggested would work. I always roll my fabric so the stitches are on the inside, and if you do that, you would holding it by the back of the fabric rather than the front. I've never done a piece that's so much wider than tall, and I'm sure others will have more ideas.

By the way, it's a cute design and I'll be looking forward to updates on your progress.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
mesonoxy

Post by mesonoxy »

Thanks so much Debby for your reply. Unfortunately I'm either doing it wrong, or there's just too much fabric to wrap and roll around the bars. I've had to double it over to attach it to the binding on the scroll bar, but when I try to pull it tight, it only pulls the folded-over part tight and leaves the main stitching area slack. Sigh. I think I'll have to change to a hoop or maybe invest in a larger frame.
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

I've turned my scroll frame sideways to stitch - I "scroll" lengthwise. I 've stitched long skinny projects that roll many times on both ends with no tension problems but the frame makes a huge difference - some scroll frames just don't hold (I particularly find this with split frames and frames that use peg type systems). I like drum tight tension.

Maybe try a different frame?
Myst..
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I don't know what brand of frame you're using, but for most of them, you only need to get longer rods and use the same side bars.....so you don't need another frame, just longer scroll rods.

That looks like a lot of fabric to roll sideways. If you're not using heavy-duty rods, I can imagine that you'd have some difficulty getting the fabric tight. If I were doing that pattern, I'd probably try doing it sideways -- not turning the frame sideways, but turning the pattern sideways and treat it like that multi-color tree on the far left side is actually the top of the design.

Edit: Okay, I looked a little deeper and I see that the design isn't very big.

"The finished size of the piece on 14 count aida cloth is 5" tall by 13" wide. If you choose to use a different fabric, your finished size will vary. The pillow in the photos is 9" x 18"."

I don't know what count you're working on, but it looks like maybe 22-inch or 24-inch rods would work. Check with the manufacturer of your scroll frame. I'd think you could get a set of rods that size for pretty cheap. My concern would be the design isn't very tall and you wouldn't have much fabric wrapped around the rods even if you use 8-inch side bars.

For something that small, I'd probably use a Q-Snap.

WIP
mesonoxy

Post by mesonoxy »

Hi Myst and Allyn - thanks so much for your replies. I think I need the fabric to be around 15" x 24" to make up the 9" x 18" pillow (bit extra there for hemming and for any misjudging!) I'm working on 28 ct evenweave linen.

Allyn, I really like the Q-snap idea! I've just emailed 123 Stitch to see if I can put two "spare pairs" together to make a set (8" and 11", plus the small extension kit, to give me a stitching area of 8" x 14"). Then I could get a Huggie and tuck all the excess fabric in.

Otherwise, I'd love to invest in a good scroll frame (the one I have is a cheap one from my local big-box craft store). I agree, I think I would need 20" or 24" bars. I think I'll get started on a hoop as that's all I know I can find locally and possibly order the Q-snap.

Thanks so much again! :bunny:
meganh

Post by meganh »

I think trying the Q-snap would be a good way to go,and you can definitly mix and match Q-snap parts to make the size you need,I do that alot.

I do love the design you have and look forwards to seeing pics :D :D
Seeds of Friendship
Mermaids(Country Cottage Kids)
Various smalls and Christmas ornaments
Dessert makes me Happy
CCN Mermaids
Christmas Ornament SAL
mesonoxy

Post by mesonoxy »

Thanks Megan! The rep from 123 Stitch said I would have to buy a complete 8" set, a complete 11" set plus the extenders. I might just start with an 11" set as I think the 8" set might be a bit small to work on.

Will definitely post pics! :rose:
katiestitch

Post by katiestitch »

Okay. Here's my two cents worth. :D

Have you tried replacing your scroll rods with the same size dowel rods?

That is what I am going to do when I start my HAED design. My pattern is too large for a hoop. I don't have Q snaps, but I have a scroll frame.

Unfortunately, my rods are not wide enough. I measured the width of my scroll frame rods and went to Michael's (Lowe's or any hardware store) and bought 2 1/2" or 3/4" x 36" dowel rods to use in place of my scroll rods. I am able to stretch out my fabric.

I use masking tape around my Aida fabric to stop fraying. I also tape my fabric to the rods, then use my scroll frame as I normally would.