Question regarding Q Snaps

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Lozze

Question regarding Q Snaps

Post by Lozze »

Was wondering if I could get advice on Q Snaps.

I'm doing a big project that means I can't get the whole picture in my Q snaps. If I put the Q snaps over my stitches will this damage them?
WIP

Winnie the Pooh birth sampler - finished bar name and backstitching
'Beauty and the Beast Falling in Love' Disney Dreams Collections
cairee

Re: Question regarding Q Snaps

Post by cairee »

nope!
they may be a bit squished, but they will pop back up again with a bit of time or after a wash. I dont recomend putting beads or some specialty stitches under the snaps, but cross stitches are just fine.
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
meganh

Post by meganh »

Should be just fine..when i do this i have several mens hankerchiefs that i use to cover the stitches,they also help with keeping the fabric clean where you hold it. I know others use things similar. Good luck.....post pics :D :camera:
Seeds of Friendship
Mermaids(Country Cottage Kids)
Various smalls and Christmas ornaments
Dessert makes me Happy
CCN Mermaids
Christmas Ornament SAL
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

It's going to be a little scary when you take the clamp off and see those squished stitches, but it's okay. Just keep going. Whatever doesn't bounce back by the time you're done will recover after you wash and iron it at the end.

WIP
guenever

Post by guenever »

i used q snaps for the first time a few months ago and i am so glad i did! yes, they flatten the stitches but they don't damage them. q snaps are way better than a hoop! i cut up a used spandex-y camisole and put that between the q snaps and the fabric. it works well. i was scared to death to put q snaps on my stitching at first--but it really is okay! the hardest part or most frustrating part is getting the fabric positioned right so that the q snaps don't distort the lines of aida (in my case). but you just need to fiddle around with it. i put the top snaps on first then the sides.

if i had the money i would totally get a bigger set than my 8x8--but then i also think that it might be harder to stitch with. the 8x8 fits nicely in my hands, or crook of my arm.

go for it! just put a fabric barrier between the stitches and snaps!
Linnea

God Bless!

"Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be."

Visit my site http://www.freewebs.com/guenever/

WIP
Dragonfly Fairy
mesonoxy

Post by mesonoxy »

Thanks for this post! I'm thinking of getting a Q-snap too so the info is really useful. I'm not sure what size to start with - 8" x 8" or 11" x 11" ?
guenever

Post by guenever »

that's up to you--i like the 8x8 but i do wish i had a bigger one. i would go with the 11x11.
Linnea

God Bless!

"Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be."

WIP
Dragonfly Fairy
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

No, I have never had that problem, they look squished at first then the spring back after a while. I put a piece of thin cotton fabric between the snap and the stitching to keep it from slipping and to protect the stitching.
Linda
Lozze

Post by Lozze »

Thanks everyone! Will get some hankies for when I get to that stage.

Regarding size 11 x 11 is so much better. I tried small at first but for bigger projects, not suitable.
WIP

Winnie the Pooh birth sampler - finished bar name and backstitching
'Beauty and the Beast Falling in Love' Disney Dreams Collections
mesonoxy

Post by mesonoxy »

Thanks Linnea and Lozze for the 11x11 rec - still tossing up - maybe I'll get both! :)
guenever

Post by guenever »

go for it! get both! :D
Linnea

God Bless!

WIP
Dragonfly Fairy
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

mesonoxy wrote:Thanks Linnea and Lozze for the 11x11 rec - still tossing up - maybe I'll get both! :)
You could get both and that way you can interchange them and use them as meant or as 8 x 11---which is my favorite way to stitch :)
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

afdish

Post by afdish »

My favorite Q-snap configuration is also 11 x 8 combo, but not exactly, it is more like 11 x 9 5/8.

I figured out this is because each q-snap consists of 4 elbow pieces and 4 connector pieces. The 8x8 comes with connector pieces that add just 1/8" to the overall length, and the 11x11 comes with connector pieces that add 1 3/4" to the overall length. I used all the 1 3/4" connector pieces from the 11x11, 2 elbows from 11x11, and 2 elbows from 8x8. It took me a bit to figure out why my fav q-snap configuration was an odd size.
Happy Stitching!
- Tricia
aka afdish
============

WIPS:
American Flag
Young at Heart (small)
Lighthouse scene
2014 Finishes:
Primitive Santa (old UFO)
Swan - AAN
Dragon Without My Coffee
Love Owl (#1 & 2)
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

I like using a nice thick piece of fleece between my stitching and the snap - something like this..

I just cut 4 rectangles out of some remnants I had and use them. It keeps the stitching from getting smooshed, and also helps to tighten the grip of the snaps on the fabric so you can get it nice and taut.

Unlike everyone else here, I prefer my qsnaps to be small - I use a millenium frame for large pieces, and a 6x8 qsnap for ornaments and on the go pieces and sometimes even that is too big as my fabric doesn't fit on it. When that happens, I sew some random scrap fabric from my sewing stash onto the edge of the cross stitch fabric to extend it so it fits under the snaps.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I do that with my Lowery stand - put felt inside the clamp!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Kezzy

Post by Kezzy »

I also use q snaps and have two sizes so depending on what project I do I can interchange them. I only use a hoop when I'm near the edge of the fabric and there isn't quite enough to go "into" the q snap. I cut up a thin tea-towel and use that between my snaps and my stitching - wouldn't go back to using a hoop all the time.
2014 Finishes:
Wedding Sampler
Sepia German Shepherd

WIPs:
Castles in the Air - Parts 1-3 finished
Welsh Alphabet Sampler

Future Projects:
Hardanger Wedding Sampler
Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

I'm like several other people and combined my 8x8 and 11x11 to make 8x11 frames. I do still occassionally use the 8x8 by itself for smaller projects. I also use small strips of fabric under the clamps to help hold the fabric a little tighter and somewhat protect the stitches.
WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
Rose

Post by Rose »

What I use is that non-skid shelf material. You can buy it at many places Wal-mart, Target or your local grocery store. I cut it to fit snug inside the clip and it hold wonderfully. You can also cut it to fit around the rod of the frame.

If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
cairee

Post by cairee »

I bought the whole set, 6x6 to 17x17. I didnt like the 6x6, so i combined it with the 8x8 to make 2 6x8. the 11x17 is my absolute favourite, I use it profile or lanscape and just love it. the 17x17 is a bit big, and I didnt think I would have a use for it. but then I found that Mabel's floral lace done 4 blocks high and 4 blocks wide fits perfectly in a 17x17. currently I have mini train of dreams in a 6x8, christmas bear wishies in a 11x17, floral lace in a 17x17 and the accolade in a 11x11.
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
mesonoxy

Post by mesonoxy »

Thanks for the replies, and Lozze sorry for hijacking your thread a little! :oops: I am still torn between buying and "being good". The extremely frustrating thing is that the postage to me in Australia is more than the frame itself, and any Australian retailers are selling the frame for roughly double the cost from a US store! :tantrum: