Newbie beading question

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

kelleyjogirl

Newbie beading question

Post by kelleyjogirl »

I want to make the Crescent Moon Dragon in Joan Elliott's Bewitching Cross Stitch book. It calls for Mill Hill Magnifica seed beads. I'm wondering what the difference is between the magnifica beads and the regular Mill Hill seed beads (besides price). Is there any reason I wouldn't want to substitute? (I'm just looking to cut costs a bit, but if it will totally spoil the effect, it's probably not worth it.)
~Kelley

WIPS
Once Upon a Time Sampler
Beginner Behold the Lamb

2014 Finishes
Tea Time
Attitudes A to Z -- Unstoppable
Best of the Barn -- rabbit
Prize Country Animals -- cow
Prize Country Animals -- goat
Nachstenliebe

Re: Newbie beading question

Post by Nachstenliebe »

:thinks:
Seed Beads: Seed beads are small beads that are almost round in shape. Mill Hill Seed Beads range in size 15/0 ( Mill Hill Petite Glass Beads ) to size 11/0 ( Mil Hill Glass Seed Beads, Mill Hill Antique Glass Seed Beads, Mill Hill Frosted Glass Seed Beads and Mill Hill Crayon Beads ).

Magnifica Beads: Magnifica beads are cylindrical beads with large holes and thin walls. They are very uniform in size and shape. Most commonly used in Bead Weaving.

That is taken from Mill Hill's website..

Honestly.. I don't think it would make much of a difference, and I've used both types on my Joan Elliott pieces.. I guess it depends on how perfect and uniform you want the beads to look..
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

You can see the difference for yourself here.
kelleyjogirl

Post by kelleyjogirl »

Thanks for the information!

(I guess I wasn't looking so much for actual specs about the beads as for advice. I've never worked with beads before, so I don't know anything about how they behave on cross stitch.)

I can see that they're different and what the differences are -- any thoughts on if they'd still look good or give a similar effect on the finished piece?

Sorry to be unclear in my original post. :)

Thanks!
~Kelley

WIPS
Once Upon a Time Sampler
Beginner Behold the Lamb

2014 Finishes
Tea Time
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Don't worry! I've never worked with Magnifica, so I don't know if they throw the light more -- which is kind of the point about beads. Seed beads, because they aren't always perfect, do have a bit of wastage, but you get so many in a pack, I guess it's not an issue. But if the Joan Elliot design calls for Magnifica, I guess I'd be tempted to use them, especially if you've no experience with beads. Her designs usually require beads, and if these are the ones she included, they are there for a reason. The cost is a couple of lattes, if that doesn't sound too flippant. Recoup the cost of the Magnifica beads by only having :coffee: in the Stash & Grab? 8)
kelleyjogirl

Post by kelleyjogirl »

Good points! My gut was telling me to just cough up the extra $10 or so for the magnifica beads, but my frugal side always say "Really? But wouldn't this work just as well?" :roll: In the big scheme of things, the difference in cost is pretty insignificant.
~Kelley

WIPS
Once Upon a Time Sampler
Beginner Behold the Lamb

2014 Finishes
Tea Time
frankattleborough

Post by frankattleborough »

I have used beads on projects and I think the answer is to put one or two in and see how they look. If you don't like the effect you can always take them out. There are no hard and fast rules with anything on cross stitch, just do whatever feels and looks right to you
Smile and the world smiles with you

Work in progress

Family Coat of Arms - Finished
Spike in Charge (Kit) Restarted
Water Garden - Tapestry - will take about another year!!
Norwich Cathedral