When do you stop being a beginner?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

richardandtracy

When do you stop being a beginner?

Post by richardandtracy »

I know this seems a daft question, but..

'When do you stop being a beginner?'

I'm pretty sure I'm still a beginner, having only completed 5 projects in 3.5 years, however a few of them have been quite difficult and quite large, so I prefer to think 'Intermediate beginner' rather than 'Complete Beginner'.

So, where do you think the cutoff between 'Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced' is?

Is the end of being a beginner being competent at parking? Handling 40 colours in a 10 x 10 square? Or is it based on number of stitches completed since starting, or even number of projects completed? And what constitutes 'Advanced techniques'?

Just curious what you think. One reason I'm asking is that I'm vaguely thinking of enrolling on a local adult education course, with the local one being 'at a beginner's level', however, while I still think I'm a beginner, after looking at the prospectus I'm not sure the course has anything to offer that I've not already tried (don't want to give a link to the prospectus as it nails down my locality rather more tightly than I want to give on an open forum).

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
NeedleAndFork

Re: When do you stop being a beginner?

Post by NeedleAndFork »

If you're a beginner with 3.5 years of experience and 6 pieces under your belt, I'm a total newb. Apart from a bit of playing around with cross stitch when I was 8 or 9, I never touched it again until last year and I've yet to finish my first HAED, though I've done several smaller items such as ornaments.

I don't know that there is a definite point when you stop being a beginner. But based on what I've seen of your stitching, you crossed that line long ago! I mean you design your own charts, you stitch complicated pieces that involve multiple colors and parking on high count fabrics. Not what one thinks of when thinking of a beginner's skill set. Sure, at the start of your current piece you may be been a beginner at parking, but that's a subskill of cross stitching, and not one I'd generally think a beginner would tackle. There are some very skilled and experienced stitchers who have probably never even considered using the parking method - I wouldn't call them beginners just because of that either.

I think cross stitching is a very simple craft to learn the basics of - you rapidly advance from being a beginner - which in my opinion (and mine only!) is when you're still learning the basics of forming crosses and doing so neatly and consistently. From there you can be satisfied to stitch what you're comfortable with, or to push yourself to keep learning new skills within the craft.

I would guess that a class for beginners would be geared towards people who have absolutely no experience cross stitching, or who've tried it and never quite grasped it. Not to say that you wouldn't learn anything - who knows, there may be some tips that you hadn't come across yet on your own that would make a world of difference. And there might not. Is it worth sitting through a class where you might end up bored stitching something extremely simple based on your skill set just for that sort of a maybe? Advanced classes of course get a bit more tricky - everyone has a different definition of what they consider advanced, and you'd have to see what the instructor considers to be advanced. Honestly though - and again, this is my opinion only.. cross stitching is the kind of craft that once you can form neat stitches, other than tips and tricks, I don't see what a class might teach at the more advanced level. Your time might be better off reading stitching blogs and just seeing what others do. Now if it were embroidery or knitting, there are hundreds of different stitches and techniques that sometimes hands on classes are the best way to learn because you get instant feedback as you work on your technique. I've taken (and taught) advanced knitting classes and found them to be invaluable when adding to my skill set. But I'm trying to imagine what might be taught in an advanced cross stitching class that someone who's already working on high count fabrics and parking might learn. I'm coming up blank!
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
Rose

Post by Rose »

If your definition of an advanced stitcher is parking and/or 40 colors in a 10X10 square well then I am a beginner, and I have been stitching for over 30 years. I do not consider myself an expert there are many things that I have not learned yet. But that is from new techniques or from choice not always skill or ability.

I do not think I will ever stop learning. There is always something new to be found and added to my knowledge. But I have to agree with Needle and Fork those are added subskills not your personal ability/advancement.

I would look at each class and ask about the kind of things that are to be taught and then decide if it is really going to benefit me or just be stuff I already know. The Bay Area Stitching Guild has people come in about 4 time per year to teach new/different techniques those classes are usually two days of hands on and then a link to the person teaching for any questions that come up later. I think those classes are great. But they are not beginner classes.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I consider my self beginner (or maybe an advanced beginner would be a better term) still, even after 25 yrs stitching. There is a lot I still don't know, a lot that I don't do (like parking) because I just don't get the hang of it. (so I don't subject myself to doing something that requires parking-like stuff with confetti) :roll:
My stitches aren't perfect, I see so many of you with far better work than mine. But I don't feel envious as I love my stitching and wouldn't care if everyone is better than me. I just do it for the enjoyment , seeing what I can accomplish on my own. I wouldn't win any prizes but I consider my work good, and that's good enough for me. If I was younger I would try hardanger or other more complicated stitching, but I happy where I am.
Linda
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I think since I joined the forum I have moved to being an advanced beginner. I have learned so much in the past 3 years but I have so much more to learn and try. I don't think I want to even move up to the intermediate level!

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

I think a lot people consider "advanced techniques" anything beyond your standard X and backstitch.

The difference between a beginner and an advanced stitcher?? Well, its about the same as the difference between a beginner and an advanced reader. Or a beginner and an advanced cook, bee keeper, driver, fisherman, poet, baker, painter, underwater basketweaver.. Its once you've got the basics down and advance to the next level.. whatever that means to you.

I've been doing this 15 years- I don't park. I don't do even 10+ colors in a box. I don't work on fully stitched pieces. I don't design my own projects- but I do switch around colors and modify patterns. Only in the last few years have I added beads to a project. I still can't stitch a project without making a mistake. Most specialty stitches I need a diagram to follow. I am far from being a beginner stitcher.. and no where near being an expert.
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

I don't think that parking or any one technique defines a beginner versus an intermediate stitcher. Parking versus cross-country is not about skill level, but personal preference on how one stitches. One is not more advanced or skilled than the other.

I think that skill level is highly subjective, but that a lot of it has to do with knowledge and experience. I haven't been stitching that long in the grand scheme of things, but I have absorbed a lot of knowledge about stitching since picking it up last summer. So I don't consider myself a beginner, but I'm also not a master embroider or needleworker. I guess that places me at intermediate.

May be being able to successfully kit up and complete a project on your own makes you no longer a beginner? I say that, but then there are skills that seem basic to me (like determining how big your fabric should be based on chart and count of fabric) that others would rather have someone else do for them.

Basically, it's all highly subjective. :D
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
JA Fan

Post by JA Fan »

I would agree with all that's been said so far.
A couple of things to add. Cross stitch charts are made in all different ways depending on the companies. So If you feel comfortable following any cross stitch chart, and can get yourself out of mistakes in your stitching without asking for help, then I would say you've left the beginner's level.
Keeping the threads under control is another factor. When I first started stitching, I was forever getting my threads tangled and knotted up on the back. Now, because of railroading and "dangle to untangle" they hardly ever get that way.

I would say an expert stitcher would be one who feels confident with working on all kinds of fabric and counts plus be able to do a lot of the speciality stitches that are included in a lot of cross stitch charts.
I would consider myself an advanced beginner. I've not done a lot of the speciality stitches or worked on a wide range of different types of fabric and counts, but I have mastered the basic skills.

An intermediate stitcher would be somewhere in between of course.
Last edited by JA Fan on Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WIP
Gold Collection Petite -- Cozy Cub
On hold:
HAED -- Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

A person can go their whole life without parking or doing complex projects or BAPs so it isn't really fair to use those criteria. I think when you feel comfortable making Xs and you can recognize and solve basic problems (tension too tight, tension too loose, et al), and you can read a simple chart, you've graduated from "beginner" and have moved into "Intermediate." I think a person can stay "intermediate" and be quite happy with their hobby.

As you progress through intermediate, you can kit a project up yourself and you can adjust the pattern to whatever fabric count you want to work on. You hesitate, but are willing to try basic specialty stitches and different fabrics. You look at charts that you like, but sometimes hesitate because you wonder if it's too hard for you to do.

To be advanced, to me, means you tackle specialty stitches with aplomb, you've successfully worked on different types and counts of fabric, you've successfully worked with lots of different specialty fibers, and there isn't a chart out there that intimidates you. I consider myself advanced, but that doesn't mean I'll ever stop learning.

I don't include "expert" in this. To me, being an "expert" says you've done it all and see it all, and I don't think anyone has done it all and seen it all in this craft.

All in all, I'd say it's your confidence level that determines whether or not you consider yourself a beginner. I agree with others that said you should check out the class to find out what they're covering before you enroll. I think a 'beginner's' class would be below your skill level, Richard. Considering what I've seen you do, you could probably help teach a 'beginner's' class.

I think a beginner's class would be introduction to xstitch: mounting the fabric in a frame, separating the floss strands, threading the needle and making Xs while following a simple pattern.
Last edited by Allyn on Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

WIP
cairee

Post by cairee »

I think you are done being a beginner when you look at a finished project and know that you did a good job, rather than good enough.
for me that was... a long time ago. Ive been stitching since I was a little girl. I think my first perfect finish was when I was 14 or so.
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
cairee

Post by cairee »

rcperryls wrote:I think since I joined the forum I have moved to being an advanced beginner. I have learned so much in the past 3 years but I have so much more to learn and try. I don't think I want to even move up to the intermediate level!

Carole
I think you are selling yourself short. Ive watched your SALs, I'd easy put you in the 'expert' category!
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
pattiebelle

Post by pattiebelle »

Everything has been said - so beautifully!!! This has been an AMAZING thread to read. Everyone's answers are so well written and there is such variety. This is what I come to the forum for - intelligent, like minded folks, who share their thoughts and experiences...wow...

All I was going to say was that you are no longer a beginner after you've finished your first piece, regardless of the size or complexity, because you've learned the basics by then!

:wub:
pattiebelle

"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

All good responses here! I think if the world would substitute the word experienced for intermediate, it would make more sense, to me anyway. However, intermediate is the standard term for most all skill level situations.

Like all of you, I too have my own stitching comfort zone. Most of my stitching will be on a simple level as that is what I enjoy, but I consider myself to be an experienced stitcher. Years ago, I did some surface embroidery and and planning to improve my skills in that area in the near future.

An interesting aside, although I do smaller projects, I have started parking in order to avoid so many starts and finishes.
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Thanks for all your comments. Very interesting indeed. Particularly how many of the stitchers I respect seem to think they're beginners too - despite being what I'd consider beyond 'Advanced' and well into 'Expert' territory. :wink:

Maybe pattiebelle is right when she says:
All I was going to say was that you are no longer a beginner after you've finished your first piece, regardless of the size or complexity, because you've learned the basics by then!
This seems possibly the clearest definition of a beginner I have seen.

I confess I hadn't thought that moving onto your own designs might not be the action of a beginner - just the action of someone who wanted something exactly right. Ah. Maybe every now & again one needs to review what has been achieved & see that possibly, just possibly, it's not as small a amount as it first seems.
I had a great aunt who taught embroidery for much of her life, and her City & Guilds examination piece in the late 1910's/early 1920's was museum quality (my dad has it on his livingroom wall, embroidered in gold, silver, silk, and where that wasn't fine enough, she used human hair). So that is the standard I compare myself with, and it tends to crush all pretentions where my work is concerned. I have inherited much of her other work, and sadly it seems she never finished anything after that C&G picture - there are 5 or 6 tablecloths with wonderful exotic birds embroidered in one corner (based on watercolours she painted), the same marked out and started in a second corner, and only marked out on the other two. She also left all sorts of other linen in a similar state, including beautiful silk blackwork decals on gauze ready to be applied to something. How I wish I could talk to her now about what she did...

Anyway, my mooted course application is now not possible. The budget has been spent by the boss when she enrolled the two of us on a 10 week/2 hrs per week Polymer Metal Clay (PMC) course. Apparently she doesn't want to go on her own. She's interested in it for jewellery, and I confess I'm interested from the point of view of making sterling silver pen furniture (clips, rings & decals). I shall have to make some silicone putty moulds & the like beforehand so I'll have the chance of adapting the course to what I want to do.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
destructiveernie

Post by destructiveernie »

I'll always be a beginner!!!!

I'm really good at beginning projects just not so good at finishing them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Emma

WIP:
HAED Faery Tales
Tilton Crafts - MCM Olde Worlde Map
HAED QS Lady Bug
Ink Circles The Bramble and the Rose
HAED Sistine Chapel
HAED Butterfly Wood
HAED SAL Teddy Bear Tree
Lucy - Charted by Skitzzzz
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

destructiveernie wrote:I'll always be a beginner!!!!

I'm really good at beginning projects just not so good at finishing them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
@rotfl: Wish I'd thought of that1 :lol: :lol:

Carole
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

richardandtracy wrote:'When do you stop being a beginner?'
When you can stitch crosses into a piece of fabric and follow a pattern. All the fancy techniques like parking, gridding, railroading etc. are just different means to the same end.

JMHO.
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

crosstitcher1

Post by crosstitcher1 »

I consider myself a intermediate stitcher, as I do on my game site pogo.com, in playing the games.
I don't do specialty stitches, but since I was taught 31 yrs. ago, July 21, 1983, preg. with last child, I have learned:
1. Organization.
2. Figuring out how much fabric for different size projects.
3. Prepping, whipping edges, centering fabric.
4. Keeping :ribbit: :anotherfrog: at "bay.
5. Beading, several projects full beading.
6. Used metalics.
7. Making a solid picture and turning into a cross stitching piece.
8. Mixing different patterns together for 1 single project.
9. Centering personal information on projects.
10. Do my own framing.
11. Teaching others.
12. Most important, "giving to others."

As my projects are "winding" down for this year, will be starting a "new" path for me, 2015, afghans. I will be building, myself, my own afghan stand, and a outside "stitching area." (with help of B/H, a couple of neighbors, youngest daughter and her b/f.)

As others have said on here, this is an "enjoyable" :whoop: hobby and there is "always" room for "learning and growing" in it. :whoop: :whoop:

HAPPY STITCHING IN STITCHING LAND. :applesauce: :D :applesauce: :D