A gift I was offered

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

babyfairie

A gift I was offered

Post by babyfairie »

A friend of mine here has said she wants to buy me a really nice chart for Christmas, her grandmother cross stitched a lot when she was alive and she say she loves watching me do it because it reminds her of her and she wants to buy me something REALLY nice--she keeps stressing this.

When I try to point of some of the designs I like they are usually of kits that are on my very long wishlist and she shakes her head and says "Nope, half the fun is going to be picking out all the thread and fabric so stop picking what's easy".

So anyway I don't know what she is talking about haha but I am intrigued because some of the designs I've seen people stitching on here seem to be really detailed and beautiful, so maybe you all can give me some ideas of places to look that might have something she'll want to buy me.....

anyway I've seen some of her grandmother's cross stitch and most of it is huge wall hangings and they look so realistic, almost like photographs or paintings and I'm like wow where do people find these things, so anybody have some sites I can drool over and try to pick one from?
karen4bells

Re: A gift I was offered

Post by karen4bells »

What a great friend you have and I hope you are able to find something that you will absolutely love---her thinking is spot on---it's so much fun to put a project together rather than buying the kits!! Here is a link to a site that carries a LOT of great charts, threads etc---just look under the tabs at the top of the page to find what you are after---or type in a category i. e. angel cross stitch, etc. in the search bar

http://123stitch.com/

By the way, I highly recommend 123stitch if you need to order anything---they have great prices, and are so fast in sending the product!!
Have fun!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

It's not impossible to make charts from your own pictures on your own PC. Then it can be photographic... because that's the way it started.
It's what I'm doing in this thread here: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=26356 . It's a picture of the boss at home, and is proving to be a challenge.

Some software to do this is free, some is paid for and you can ask someone like Skitzz to create you a chart from an image you supply. There are a number of threads on software here.

Let your imagination run riot. If I can do a big picture, I'm sure anyone can.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
fccs

Post by fccs »

I agree with Karen on 123stitch.com; it's my "go to" place since I have no LNS. Their prices are very competitive, their stock is almost overwhelming, and their delivery and service are spot on. If you don't know exactly what you want, I'd start there for ideas and inspiration. (Be forewarned...you could be browsing their site for a very long time, so have a cup of tea with you.)

You have a very thoughtful friend to want to do this for you; you must be very special to her. What a blessing.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Don't ignore organization. If you have a lot of thread, organization will be a problem if you don't have a system worked out. It's not fun, but it is necessary.

For the kind of stuff it sounds like you're looking for, my favorite sites are:
goldenkite.com
scarletquince.com
artecy.com
mysticstitch.com

WIP
Rose

Post by Rose »

I also will throw in my high recommendations for 123 Stitch. They are the best and they have a very wide variety of kits and charts and the works. Speed and accuracy are a part of this sites accomplishments. :dance: :dance:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Rose wrote:I also will throw in my high recommendations for 123 Stitch. They are the best and they have a very wide variety of kits and charts and the works. Speed and accuracy are a part of this sites accomplishments. :dance: :dance:

I agree with the recommendation and suggest that you may need two cups of tea as you look through all that they have available. It is the first place I go to when I'm looking for any kind of stash (cross stitch material,charts,threads, and way too many accessories). It is also fun to do some "window shopping" and add to my wish list.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

If you want to go to a stitchy store, head over to Stitchville.
The store is in a strip mall across from Ridgedale.
While I'd rather not recommend them.. it is a good resource to have in town so you can look and feel.
The inventory in the store is fantastic.
Really, it may be overwhelming if you don't know what you are shopping for.
Take a look at the 123 website first to narrow your focus.
Don't buy DMC floss there- it's cheaper at JoAnns.

I personally think the employees are crabby and not exactly helpful.. but you may have better luck than me.
I've stopped shopping there because of the attitude I've gotten when in the store and not known exactly what I wanted. So I give my recommendation with caution and hope you have better experiences than me.
babyfairie

Post by babyfairie »

I think I got lost in this site--my wishlist has over 100 items in it now--is this normal? hahaha

Ohh!! I have only been to like Joann's and muchaels and I just cry cuz i can't afford any of their stuff and have to go on what is bought for me which is sad but maybe I can convince my friend to take a field trip to this stitchville store :D
fccs

Post by fccs »

babyfairie wrote:I think I got lost in this site--my wishlist has over 100 items in it now--is this normal? hahaha
Totally normal!!!! :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

fccs wrote:
babyfairie wrote:I think I got lost in this site--my wishlist has over 100 items in it now--is this normal? hahaha
Totally normal!!!! :-)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: definitely!! :D
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs