Needle Minders

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Rose

Needle Minders

Post by Rose »

I joined 2 cross stitch groups on Facebook......... :thinks: weird cause I usually don't do that kind of thing but they were suggested by some of the ladies in my Stitching Club so I gave it a try.

Some one on there asked how many needle minders people have and why. Well why does not really matter but I was wondering how many you all have and which one is your favorite.

I have 3 "true" Needle minders. One that is a cameo and 2 that are Olaf. Oh course Olaf is my favorite......um duh a snowman hello........ @rotfl: @rotfl: :whoop: Image

But then I have at least 10 just plain old magnets. 1 on my table by my chair. 1 in the lid of each of my thread caddies. 2 on my stitching stand. So not sure they are considered needle minders but that is what they are for.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Allyn

Re: Needle Minders

Post by Allyn »

I have nine pairs of small round magnets placed stragically around my work area and I have two 20-inch magnet strips -- one on the top and one on the bottom scroll bar so matter where I need to park a needle, a magnet is just a few inches away. On the front, the round magnets hold my chart page, the symbol key and they secure the bobbins around which I wound the parked threads for adjacent areas of the project....and of course, they hold needles. On the back, they hold my scissors and my hemostats. One of the magnets has a hand-painted unicorn on it. It's cute, but not really my cup of tea (I kinda inherited it), but it's a magnet so I put it to work. I guess my favorites are the long strip magnets on the scroll bars. They're the workhorses for holding my parked needles.

WIP
millymolly

Post by millymolly »

I should really invest in some I use my legs( whatever clothing is on there) or my mouth
Amanda =]

WIP
Cloudsfactory Epic Potter & Cut thru Pirate Ship
HAED Mini Awakening Spring Fairy
Shameful UFOs Thread here 3 of 25 finished
Brekkana

Post by Brekkana »

millymolly wrote:I should really invest in some I use my legs( whatever clothing is on there) or my mouth
I am the same way ... on my shirt or pant leg ... and it is funny watching me "feel" myself looking for my needle when it's between my lips ...
So many HAEDs I couldn't possibly list them all. Current favorites are Dragon Kin, Sea Unicorns (QS), April Fairy, What's This, Dahlia, and so many starts going on. Love to cross stitch! Find me on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/brekkana.kultiras
millymolly

Post by millymolly »

Yeah I do that all the time. You can put it down for 2secs and just forget where you put it. My newest one if I've been stitching in my bed is sticking needle in duvet and it goes right in :lol: woops
Amanda =]

WIP
Cloudsfactory Epic Potter & Cut thru Pirate Ship
HAED Mini Awakening Spring Fairy
Shameful UFOs Thread here 3 of 25 finished
fccs

Post by fccs »

I have several needle minders and need more. I think I have seven or eight. Fizzbw has some that I really like - I mean, need - when I get around to ordering. I like to have at least two on each project...one for my needle and one for my counting pin(s). I still find myself putting my needle in my mouth, but not nearly as often as I used to. And so far I've refrained from sticking my needle in the arm of my couch (I used to do that with my old couch, but not this one.) And I have been known, like others, to stick the needle in my clothing.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
MartaAre

Post by MartaAre »

millymolly wrote:I should really invest in some I use my legs( whatever clothing is on there) or my mouth
:lol: I'm with you! I have never seen a needle minders before this forum! I use my legs, mouth and sofa... I should buy one of them! :oops:
Carole

Post by Carole »

I have no needle minders. I've got a small DMC Stitchbow case, which holds all my bits & bobs and also has a handy section for sticking needles in. I usually use small clip frames, 6" or 8" so don't want to clutter them up too much. If I want to park, I use the sleeves of the frame.
Current WIPs
Precious Dreams
Crazy cat lady
Previous WIPs
Previous WIPs

sarclanat

Post by sarclanat »

I dont have any needle minders as i use pin cushions, loads of needles in the one i am using
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I use a pin cushion, too! I make biscornu in all sizes and use them as pin cushions.

I do have a magnetic needle minder...in the shape of a PUFFIN!! :whoop: :whoop:

He just sits in my project box. :wub:
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

I have one, but really must get a couple more as they are so useful. I just LOVE your Olaf one, Rose :wub: :snowman:
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I used to use the magnetic strips (like Allyn talked about) which keep my chart pages on the chart holders (I have several since I usually have 2 or 3 pages of a chart on a holder). They are good, but needles fall easily if I knock it (or it gets moved by a 4 legged helper). I also have the LoRan needle cases which are magnetized on one side. But I fell in love with some of Niki's needle minders and bought them. I don't use them on the fabric though since I use the 8" Q-snaps generally and there just wasn't enough room. But I keep it on the chart holder and that works perfectly for me. And they are pretty to look at. I did choose two beautiful felines, of course.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

rcperryls wrote: I used to use the magnetic strips (like Allyn talked about) which keep my chart pages on the chart holders (I have several since I usually have 2 or 3 pages of a chart on a holder). They are good, but needles fall easily if I knock it (or it gets moved by a 4 legged helper). ....
I don't have that problem. I wonder if the strips I have are a stronger magnet. I had to throw some magnets away because the needles kept falling off, but I don't have that problem with the ones I'm using now.

WIP
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Obviously I'm biased and have a lot of them! I have seven acting as magnets on my chart and I tend to keep only one on my actual work and it's my favourite kind the needle safe which is my design of a tiny pincushion on a fancy base. Never eve lose a needle from that.

I a,so have a super strong neodymium magnet on a charm that's says live with no regrets and that is stuck to the metal clamp of my Lowery and it holds a pair of scissors.

Weirdly after all those needles, I have, on the lever on the lowery, a circle of that really dense packing material that's not polystyrene. It's a great little needle holder!!

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Lizzieh

Post by Lizzieh »

I never had one until my lovely stand in stashmas present giver sent me a lovely one and already I don't know how I survived without it!!
Liz

WIPIn rotation
Quick Stitch Tulips
Egyptian heart
Pretty pastels
Peek a boo

UFO
HAED storykeep

2014 finishes
Parent's garden
Pengwenn

Post by Pengwenn »

This might sound weird but I don't use a needle minder. I have a needle for every color bobbin so when I'm done with the color I thread the needle in to the threads on the front of the bobbin and put it back in my box until the next time. If I finish a thread and need to start another one I stick the needle through my shirt up my right shoulder. This way I never seem to lose it and I will always remember it's there if I get up and move (or when my dog comes over and wants to sit and my lap and lay against me. I would be too afraid that I would keep loosing the needle minders if I had them.
current project rotation:
Twilight Balloon Flight
The Accolade
Faces of Faery 89
Dad's Flower Pot
cairee

Post by cairee »

I dont use magnets at all on my needles. I used one once and all the needles that it minded are all magnetic now and stick together :tizzy:
I have a small box that holds my thousand or so size 28 needles, when I take one off a thread I drop it in the box, when I need one, I reach for the box. I park with needles off so I dont need to park needles that are attatched to my work.
all my other sized needles are in a felt needlebook
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
LastingAllure

Post by LastingAllure »

I have 1....but I misplaced it @rotfl:

I am bad I normally hold it with my lips or jab my unstitched sections with the needle and leave it there lol.

Speaking of holding it with lips....I wonder why so many people do that. We don't hold anything else with our mouths yet it is automatic to stick the needle in there lol.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I have two very plain disc magnets stuck to my Lowery stand; one holds a selection of needles, and one holds my stork scissors. The downside of the latter is that the scissors are now midly magnetic themselves, and pick up my working needle when I snip off waste knots :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Glad you like it LizzieH!!

I am finding the needle minder on a lanyard that I do is getting popular, so people can have the needles stuck on the minder (neodymium magnet so very strong hold) hanging round their necks.

I know the sticking in the mouth thing. Nearly inhaled a pin the other day doing a Sudden surprise yawn....dodgy stuff!!! Better to use a minder......

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village