Parking and Traveling to the next Confetti stitch

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

1bulletburner

Parking and Traveling to the next Confetti stitch

Post by 1bulletburner »

OK I have been doing lots of reading on parking trying to wrap my head around the idea. I must say again how much I love this site. :wub:

I am working a large piece from Mystic Stitch. Oh and it is the first I have ever cross stitched. I have been doing really good cross country stitching without having to park. However, I have hit a spot in the pattern where I have one or two stitches or better yet a lot of one stitch only confetti and then not another of that color for a few rows further away.

So, how far do I dare travel with that one color from the current one stitch to the next stitch to park the thread without having issues?

Or, do I have to stop each of the one stitch confetti colors and tie off the tread and restart the next one stitch in the next location?

I hope someone out there understands what I am trying to ask. :tizzy:
lavenderbee

Re: Parking and Traveling to the next Confetti stitch

Post by lavenderbee »

Could you weave it through the back of the other stitches to get to the next spot? That is all I can think of but I am not an expert on x-stitching. Many on here are & I am sure they will give you advice if there is a better way (which there probably is) :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
cairee

Post by cairee »

on 14-28 count I will travel up to 10 stitches away, on higher counts up to 20. of course, neither is written in stone and I break my own rules often enough
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

I park all the time and will carry a thread to any adjacent block as long as it's carried under an unstitched area. If I carried any further than that, it would use up more thread than I would use snipping off and starting a new thread and I'm a bit stingy with my thread so I try not to do that. As Cairee said, the count of fabric also makes a difference. I will carry fewer holes on 18ct than I would on 28ct.
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

Allyn

Post by Allyn »

It's a solid-stitched pattern, so if you're parking using the technique in the Scarlet Quince tutorial (don't put a stitch in if there's an open hole above it) and not cross-country stitching in 10 x 10 squares, you can get away with carrying that thread pretty far because it will be captured under subsequent stitches and won't be a loose floater on the back. I'll carry mine really far (I mean really far) just to save from having more waste/away knots to deal with. If there are a lot of colors in a small area, the knot clusters can get quite dense, so I'll carry that thread into the next county if I have to. :)

WIP
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

cairee wrote:on 14-28 count I will travel up to 10 stitches away, on higher counts up to 20. of course, neither is written in stone and I break my own rules often enough
Sounds like me! I will either weave longer strands through already stitched areas, or travel further if I know the strand will be covered up by stitches later. I agree with cairee that since I make the rules, I can change or break them if I need to!

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
1bulletburner

Post by 1bulletburner »

Thank you so much for all your advise and being honest with me. I hate having to fuss with these little pieces of thread for one stitch. I would rather travel across county lines to avoid having to do this process any more. I was just so worried that the cross stitch police would put me in cross stitch jail. :-P

I will update my latest photo in my stitch along tonight. I have finished page 15 of 25 now. :whoop:
fccs

Post by fccs »

Allyn wrote:If there are a lot of colors in a small area, the knot clusters can get quite dense, so I'll carry that thread into the next county if I have to. :)
@rotfl: @rotfl:
1bulletburner wrote:
I will update my latest photo in my stitch along tonight. I have finished page 15 of 25 now. :whoop:
Good for you!!! :applesauce:

I'm eager to see it.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends