a different type of conversion required

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

cristaltipps

a different type of conversion required

Post by cristaltipps »

Can anyone help me at all, I would love to do a cross stitch for my grandson but have it in mind to do it on 6 count binca but using tapestry wool instead of stranded cotton but for the life of me i can not find a conversion.

Does anyone know if there is a way to convert DMC stranded cotton (which is what the original pattern calls for ) into any brand of tapestry type wool?

If i can not find one i think i will just have to go in store and pick the nearest by eye but thought i would ask my fellow stitchers for help first :)

Thanks x
Reta

Re: a different type of conversion required

Post by Reta »

Lots of conversions for most here but not DMC to wool that i can see

http://www.cross-stitch-centre.co.uk/ac ... ation.html" target="_blank" target="_blank

Ooooo Scroll to number 3 Its unreadable to me but you might be able to read

http://embroidery.about.com/od/Embroide ... Charts.htm" target="_blank
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

cristaltipps

Post by cristaltipps »

Serinde thank you so much although they do not have a conversion as such i was able do download the colour cards for both the ordinary thread and the tapestry wool so by looking up the number of the thread i can then see which wool is the best match without having to leave the house! marvellous thanks again it never occurred to me to look on DMC's own website duh!

Also thank you Reta for replying, both of those links i had found by searching but i appreciate you taking the time to look for me

x
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

The colour cards are good, but there is a chart. :D Click this route: http://www.dmc-us.com" target="_blank" target="_blank home->Cross stitch products and scroll down to the bottom and click on Conversion charts. Then click on DMC Thread Conversion which will take you to a table of all DMC threads and their relative numbers. It'll download as a PDF file. Or at least it's there when I search. :wip:
cristaltipps

Post by cristaltipps »

Ahhh brilliant that was what i was hoping to find but missed it before lol
Thank You again Serinde, I am definitely going to do it now i can find the wools :) my grandson will be chuffed
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

A bit late but can I also suggest soft cotton instead of wool? A lot of the colours are like the usual stranded cotton ones but with a 2 in front of them (so 2436 is the same brown as stranded cotton 436). It doesn't work for all of them, but it helps :-) and they are very nice threads to work with (I used them for kits on binca which a friedn took to a school in Sierra Leone for a craft project)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page