QuirkyK's WIP on a HAED Merlin and Arthur...

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

quirkyk

QuirkyK's WIP on a HAED Merlin and Arthur...

Post by quirkyk »

Ok...so newbie here at the forums, and a bit ambitious! I have chosen to do the HAED merlin and arthur piece...a picture is below...

I have just ordered the pattern from HAED and in the process of downloading! I already have most of the colors needed so my next purchase needs to be the cloth...I'd love some input here guys...I've worked on linen before but I've never heard of evenweave. Is there a reason to use the evenweave over the linen? P.S. The directions are to do this 1 over 1.

This is gonna be a long journey you all so bear with me :) But I'm determined to get through it! :wink:
Namaste,
QuirkyK
quirkyk

Re: QuirkyK's WIP on a HAED Merlin and Arthur...

Post by quirkyk »

Ok...so I've been looking at fabrics...The pattern recommends 25 count Lugana so off I went to see what I could find...I stubbled upon a site called Willow Fabrics. They have 25 count lugana and even show a picture at lease for the first option...but there are four options...What on earth is the difference? anyone that has ever worked with this stuff have any advice on what to go with? Again the stitching is done 1 over 1.

25 Count Lugana Antique White - Fat Qtr
Z3835/0101
Genuine Zweigart® 25 count Lugana

25 Count Lugana Antique White - Half mtr

25 Count Lugana Antique White - Fat Half mtr

25 Count Lugana Antique White - Full mtrs
Namaste,
QuirkyK
Jenny-M

Post by Jenny-M »

Hiya and welcome :wave: i've been stitching for about 6 years and i've only just started my first HAED(I have the sal on here its the pirate dragon) I was inspired to try it after a few of the ladies on here started them......

Im using Lugana and got a fat quarter(18x22 inches) wich was more than enough, It depends on the size of the finished design as to which size to go for

Id recommend reading through the hints and tips page on their web sitehttp://www.heavenandearthdesigns.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank I found it really useful

Hope this helps and I can't wait to see your progress :D
WIP
Around The World SAL
UFO
Owl in flight Started:2010
My Blog:
http://crossstitchjen.blogspot.com" target="_blank
quirkyk

Post by quirkyk »

Hey Jenny! I just commented on your dragon! it looks like fun! And the finished piece on this is 23W X 13-1/2inches on 25ct! Biggest I've ever done! go figure...
and I have read their tips and tricks (that was what convinced me that if I tried hard enough I could tackle this!!! :lol: We will see...no turning back now...I bought the pattern and have the thread...so last element needed is the fabric and it is a go!
Namaste,
QuirkyK
Rose

Post by Rose »

Since I have never done a HAED I can not help much with the fabric. What you have put up looks like the only difference is the size of the fabric you are buying. They are all the same fab just the description is to tell you the size of the fabric you are buying.

There are a couple other sites that sell fabric.
http://www.sugarmaplefabrics.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

http://www.polstitchesdesigns.co.uk/index.html" target="_blank" target="_blank

http://www.silkweaver.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

I have ordered from sugar and silkweaver both very good service. They will have you Lugana fabric and they have some pretty ones. Since you are doing a HAED though you really wont want a background that is dyed but I think both sites have standard colors as well as dyed ones. good luck with your project we will all be very interested in your progress. :o
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
quirkyk

Post by quirkyk »

Thanks Rose for the links to the other sellers! I'm off to check them out and order a piece! :)
Namaste,
QuirkyK
Jenny-M

Post by Jenny-M »

Oh thats pretty BIG :shock: Um I think you will need the fat half it will be about 39x27.5 inches(100x70cm) you'll have some left over but that would be a good practise piece :wink:

I relly hope im getting this correct, you may want to double check my measurements :doh:
WIP
Around The World SAL
UFO
Owl in flight Started:2010
My Blog:
http://crossstitchjen.blogspot.com" target="_blank
quirkyk

Post by quirkyk »

Well I've ordered some fabric....I actually found a site called Cross-stitch Direct and they had it all together. The Chart, the recommended fabric and the dmc threads for the piece...so it was easy! Now that I've finished all the easy stuff I guess I'll just wait and see just how tough the rest is when my material gets here :)
Namaste,
QuirkyK
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Well done for being so brave! :applesauce: :applesauce:
I'll look forward to watching your progress on this.
:D
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

That sounds a good idea to get everything they list, takes the guesswork out :D
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

You will enjoy working on the lugana. It's a lovely fabric. Cross stitch direct does a useful service, kitting the design like that. Smart!

Good luck. We'll all be cheering you on. :applesauce:
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

quirkyk wrote:Well I've ordered some fabric....I actually found a site called Cross-stitch Direct and they had it all together. The Chart, the recommended fabric and the dmc threads for the piece...so it was easy! Now that I've finished all the easy stuff I guess I'll just wait and see just how tough the rest is when my material gets here :)
Oh please no how u get one with these as i was going to get a HAED from here and was in two minds, (dont no y but i was, im just to parinoid i think lol)

Good luck with this and i cant wait to see this come along.
quirkyk

Post by quirkyk »

sammy_v wrote:
quirkyk wrote:Well I've ordered some fabric....I actually found a site called Cross-stitch Direct and they had it all together. The Chart, the recommended fabric and the dmc threads for the piece...so it was easy! Now that I've finished all the easy stuff I guess I'll just wait and see just how tough the rest is when my material gets here :)
Oh please no how u get one with these as i was going to get a HAED from here and was in two minds, (dont no y but i was, im just to parinoid i think lol)

Good luck with this and i cant wait to see this come along.

I actually bought the pattern from HAED but only because I could get the large print! :):) I have the worst time reading the patterns more than anything! So I got the pattern in large print from HAED and the material from Cross-stitch Direct since that meant I didn't have to do guess work on the size :) And obviously I haven't started yet but I say if I can do it...then EVERYONE can :!: :!:
Namaste,
QuirkyK
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

Oh right, sorry didnt read it right. Yes i would have had to get it form HAED to as i wanted the large design but i emailed cross stitch direct and asked if they could do it in large print and they said yes but i would recommened asking them so they could tell u the prices etc.
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Your HAED is gorgeous, great choice. I admire you brave souls willing to tackle them. A few years ago I might have but times short and I have just too much I want to stitch. I will live viariously through your progress. :lol: :lol:
Linda
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

*runs away frome HAED thread*

nothing personal..just...*shivers*
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
charmagne_capalad

Post by charmagne_capalad »

Oh, my! :shock: That's HUGE! You're such a brave soul for this and I admire you for that...You have the energy I can feel it and I know you'll get through this...We'll be with you on your progress once you start...

BTW...how many colors are involved in this HUGE project...? I'm just curious...I can see several shades of browns/yellow.... :)

Take care! :wub:
charmagne
"As we count our stitches...let us not forget to count our blessings..."
@mayneideas on instagram
Julie1364

Post by Julie1364 »

I look forward to watching the progress on this one
quirkyk

Post by quirkyk »

charmagne_capalad wrote:Oh, my! :shock: That's HUGE! You're such a brave soul for this and I admire you for that...You have the energy I can feel it and I know you'll get through this...We'll be with you on your progress once you start...

BTW...how many colors are involved in this HUGE project...? I'm just curious...I can see several shades of browns/yellow.... :)

Take care! :wub:

Since you ask...the color count is 90!!! Can you believe that!!! 90!!! And the pattern...well let's just say I about cried! I ordered the large print so I could see and it is 50 pages...so I guess there is plenty of space for those 90 colors :):)

On another note...I think I've found my frame....since I need semi portable...I know that sounds funny with this scale and all... (I spend alot of time at my mother's visiting my grandmother so would like to take it along:) ) I'm thinking about the American Dream E-Z Stitch Lap Stand...I can get a 36 inch adapter rod to accommodate 36 inch rods... I just got an email saying my fabric was shipped so I'll wait and see when it gets here if the 36" would be ok....if not I'm off to the drawing board again :) Here is what they look like if you wanna see...And one question...would you all suggest the one that is no basting using the velcro or the one with the webbing???

Here is the one with no basting...

And here is the webbing one..
Namaste,
QuirkyK
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Really nice looking frame!

I've never used one with velcro. It should work, if you can keep it taut along the top edge when you are just starting your HAED (in the top left-hand corner, of course!). I'll be interested to learn about others' experiences.