OT: Random Act of Kindness

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

rcperryls

OT: Random Act of Kindness

Post by rcperryls »

Yesterday, David and I experienced one of those random acts of kindness that you usually only read or hear about. Not related in any way to cross stitching. We had been to see Inside Out (Highly recommend this movie, especially if you have pre-teens or teens or remember being 11 y.o.) and then went to get a late lunch. After we'd eaten I asked for the check and saw that the only item on the check was for the dessert David was taking "to go". When I called this to the waitress attention, she told me that a man who had been at a different server's table, had paid for our dinner when he paid for his. She said "the only reason you have a check at all is that he left before you ordered the pie). And he paid in cash so we couldn't get his name from a credit card receipt. I was so stunned. I asked if he said that he knew us. Didn't tell his waitress anything other than he was going to pay for our meal. "Random act of kindness. Pay it forward" said the waitress. And she is right. I told David that the next time we are at a restaurant he can choose someone who's meal we will pay for.

The odd thing (maybe) is that I was feeling a bit low since today is the fifth anniversary of my DH's death and while I don't usually focus on it, I had been worried how I might react. David asked if I thought his Daddy did it. I sad no, He couldn't pay for a meal now. And David answered back "but he could have put the idea in that man's head". Maybe. I kind of like to think that. Whatever it was, it was such a nice surprise. I hope that man feels as good about himself as I am feeling for him right now.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Re: OT: Random Act of Kindness

Post by karen4bells »

:D You definitely have made my day!! I think David is onto something, too!!! So very glad that this happened to you---what a beautiful thing!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I think David is spot on! What a lovely thing to happen and it's lovely of you to pay it forward!

A good way to honour the anniversary.

Biggest hugs

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

That is so awesome! David's response brought tears to my eyes. I think he's on to something as well. :hug: Great that that happened and that you'll pass it on too.
fccs

Post by fccs »

karen4bells wrote::D You definitely have made my day!! I think David is onto something, too!!! So very glad that this happened to you---what a beautiful thing!!
I agree - thank you for sharing this beautiful story.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
pattiebelle

Post by pattiebelle »

You and David are both blessed. I'd also like to think your DH acted through that man. It's a wonderful testament to your lives together (and beyond.) Thank you for sharing it...

:wub:
pattiebelle

"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

What a wonderful to have happened, especially at this sad time for you. As others said David may be right that his dad put the idea in the man's head. I have heard a Good Samaritan in USA was doing these deeds. Never dreamed I would know someone this happened to but am so very glad it happened to you just when you needed it. It is always good to pass on a good deed & no doubt your recipient will be as pleased as you are. God bless you & David at this emotional time. :hug:
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:grouphug: to you and David and what a wonderful way to end a lovely outing together on such a special day. God Bless that man for doing that and just think ahead to the fun you will have next time you are out to a meal together. :dance:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Oh that's a wonderful thing to do. And just what you needed to brighten up your day.
Linda
marniecat

Post by marniecat »

That is so nice. Thank you for sharing your experience with us- great reminder that there are amazing people out there- including you, David, and your late husband. :wub: :grouphug: to you.
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

That is kind :)
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I was already feeling a little gooey and sentimental. That story made me cry (you know, in a good gooey, sentimental way).

WIP
Carole

Post by Carole »

That is lovely to hear. I can imagine how good you felt, and also imagine how good the stranger felt, having done such a nice thing for someone.
Current WIPs
Precious Dreams
Crazy cat lady
Previous WIPs
Previous WIPs

wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Just goes to show that there is some good in this world. All we hear on the news these days is about the bad and the ugly. One persons act of kindness just restores the faith in the act of human kindness.