Wet weather here!

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

rcperryls

Wet weather here!

Post by rcperryls »

:rain: :rain: :rain: Lots of rain on the East coast of the US this weekend and South Carolina is definitely in it. No hurricane (my heart and prayers go out to those people in the Bahamas who endured a monster storm for over a day. Can't imagine it) but a steady and often times very heavy downpour. There is a tidal creek behind my house which has never overflowed its banks but since they are calling it an historic rainfall and tides have been astronomically high (but not the highest), Laverne and I are keeping a close watch on that creek in case we have to move to the attic steps. (One story house and a lousy attic but better than sitting on the dresser!). I don't really think it will flood because I'm 12 feet above sea level, but there is concern that we could lose power because of falling trees. The ground is so drenched. So if I'm away for a while, know that I will be back as soon as possible. And hopefully this thread is really just a way of my expressing a bit of anxiety. Hope that other members up and down the East Coast have no problems with all this wet stuff. At least the drought is over :roll:

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
lavenderbee

Re: Wet weather here!

Post by lavenderbee »

Hope you & Laverne will keep safe Carole & that you are high enough above sea level for any water to invade your property. Fingers & toes crossed that you will not be in peril. :wub:
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Keep safe, the two of you - hopefully you won't need the attic steps!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

I do hope that you won't get too much more rain---thank goodness I'm on the western coast of Florida, and we aren't seeing any rain here at all---not that we need it---as we are already way ove4r the normal yearly rainfall here.
Stay safe, Carole!!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

coolpenguin

Post by coolpenguin »

Well wishes that you remain safe! I'm just outside of Baltimore and it has been very wet here for a couple of days. Some water in our basement but that's not unusual. Seems like a good weekend to hunker down and stitch!
WIP's
various mini's
OCEAN ABC

Finished in 2017
See my Stitch a Long
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

We are used to continual wet in this part of the world, but rarely big "historic" storms. For those memories I have an Illinois childhood! Stay safe. and here's hoping the attic steps are not needed. :x: :shamrock: :kitty: :wine:
fccs

Post by fccs »

Stay safe and keep us posted as you can.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Oh dear Carole, I saw it on the news last night and thought about you and Lavern. Hope you keep power and don.t have to use the attic steps or the attic either. Prayer for you and others at this difficult time.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
StitchinWitch

Post by StitchinWitch »

Yep, we're getting that lovely rain too here in NJ. I live in an area that was badly hit by Superstorm Sandy, and am just so thankful that we're not getting Joachin too. I don't mind rain, but it's the combination of the high winds and rain that scare the daylights out of me.

Stay as dry as possible! :)

Bonus - its good stitching weather.
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

Stay safe and take care of each other :kitty: :hug:
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Getting lots of stitching done! We've not had flooding here in my part of town, but it has really been a mess. Downtown Charleston, which is most of what they show on the news floods when it drizzles at high tide, so lots of the streets there have turned into rivers. Yesterday most of the entrances to the downtown area were blocked off. Other areas that have never flooded have been hard hit. We are breaking all kinds of records that I wish we weren't. I'm actually almost done with one complete column of one of my HAED's. I've been working on it for weeks but been busier than usual so haven't been able to give it all the attention it needs. Been very different the last few days! Another day of rain today but tides aren't as high so I'm hoping that means less chance for me of needing those attic stairs :roll: The big concern (or one of them now) is that the ground is so saturated that trees will fall on to power lines if the wind picks up. Their roots are getting waterlogged. I can't wait to see the sun again. Hope all of you to the north of me stay safe and dry!!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

I hope that the bad rains end soon, Carole and that the sun will soon be shining for you & Laverne!!
Work in Progress
Various small designs

Carole

Post by Carole »

Hope you get some sunshine soon and the trees remain upright, and you don't have to go to the attic :x:
Current WIPs
Precious Dreams
Crazy cat lady
Previous WIPs
Previous WIPs

wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Dreadful floods in SE France too! :shock: All around Cannes was very bad....underground carparks flooded and people trapped in there cars...quite awful!

Hope that you and Laverne can keep your paws dry, Carole! :x:
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Good to know you have not had to use the attic stairs Carole & Lavern. :pray: and :x: it stays that way.

WIPS
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

How goes it now Carole? have you used the attic stairs at all??? I sure hope not and that both you and Laverne can now start to get back to normal things rather than watching the weather/trees/creek etc. :lol:

WIPS
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Thank you for asking, Sally and thank you to everyone who wished us well. We were really pretty lucky as my neighborhood didn't flood. The creek got high (very) at high tide, but stayed within the banks. Other areas were not so lucky and I know people who did have some flooding (or worse). I think the scariest part is that so many in areas that have never flooded were waist deep in water. Many of them don't have flood insurance because they never thought they'd need it. And there is more flooding to come as water from the upper parts of the state drain down into the rivers which flow into the Charleston harbor. But we had sun and blue skies yesterday which was very appreciated. And thankfully I never needed to use the attic nor lost power. But I did manage to finish that first column on Leffett Papillon and begin the second row of Dancing with the Cat!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Looking forward to seeing 'Dancing with the Cat'.

Glad you had no problems. Though I must say, our current house was only considered due to the altitude - 90ft ASL. Any less & it could be inundated in the next 100 years.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I think you have to get to the mountains in South Carolina (north part of the state) to get that far above sea level. Charleston is at sea level, I think, and floods if it drizzles at high tide. My house is 12 feet above sea level (at least that is what I remember my DH telling me). The creek behind the house is a tidal creek and then there is marsh passed that. Last week-end at high tide you couldn't see the marsh, just water. And roads that go over the marsh (not many, but enough) were totally unpassable. The fact that besides the ridiculous amount of rain we had astronomically high tides didn't help. And this isn't a state with the best infrastructure anyway. I think some of the bridges may be the ones that the original colonists used. Not as old as some of yours, but old enough to not withstand the flood waters.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

I am so glad to hear that you are okay, Carole!!! My heart and prayers go out to all of those who have had to deal with this horrible weather and I hope that things will soon be back to normal---though I know that for many that will be a very long time in coming!!
Work in Progress
Various small designs