Do you prefer traditional, running or both?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mistresspaige

Do you prefer traditional, running or both?

Post by Mistresspaige »

Hi everyone I hope everyone is well :).

I was wondering of the two base ways to cross stitch which of them do you prefer and why, or do you prefer to do both?
Traditional of course is 1 full stitch at a time whilst running is a continuous half stitch for multiple stitches before lapping back to finish each one.

Me personally I used to do a mix but have found myself preferring to doing pure traditional as I feel I get a more even back and better tension overall.

How about you?
richardandtracy

Re: Do you prefer traditional, running or both?

Post by richardandtracy »

When doing cross-country in large blocks, I use 'Running', as the thread usage can be less. However, I have started charting photographs and making images from them, so I suspect my days of having large blocks of colour are now well & truly over.

When doing 'Parking' I use traditional cross stitching. I am just not very good at parking.

Finally, with my last 2 projects, I have used 25ct and 28 ct, and found that tent stitching, 2 over 1 is quicker than cross stitching, yet gives reasonable coverage.

So.. in answer to the question: 'No. It doesn't apply to my latest projects.' :?

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Either, as the fancy takes me :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
RosemaryD

Post by RosemaryD »

I also use both. I'll use "running" for colour blocks as it uses less thread, although as you say you have to be careful with the tension, and the "traditional" way for confetti or to move across the fabric to avoid carrying the thread long distances across the back. Whatever seems most sensible at the time, really!
Rosemary

WIPs
Blue Moon - Andy Russell
The Shore of the Turquoise Sea - Albert Bierstadt
Arabian Walled Garden - Chatelaine
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I've never heard them called "traditional" or "running" methods. That's a new one on me. Danish cross-stitch is what you're calling the "running" method and English cross-stitch is what you're calling the "traditional" method.

I'll use both as I need to depending on where I need to go with the thread. If I need to stitch down the row and come back to drop down to the next row, I'll stitch Danish. If I need to stitch down the row and the next place I need that color is further along, I'll stitch English. I rarely do anything with large areas of a single color; and if I do, I'm probably tenting instead of doing full crosses anyway.

If it matters, English cross-stitch uses a wee bit more thread. I saw a figure of 9 percent more, but I don't know where that number came from.

WIP
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I'm another as does both, and sometimes I do larger areas of the same colour (but not necessarily blocks) in the bottom half stitch and then go back over it with the next thread I put in my needle, this is faster for me for some reason....

I also go in horizontal and vertical when it suits me as well....I try to do things that have a particular aspect like a door or something that's very vertical in design in vertical stitches, but otherwise it doesn't look any different to me.

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:thinks: Whichever works best at the time. For projects stitched over 1, I prefer tent stitching so that is not an issue.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
seedreemer

Post by seedreemer »

I prefer running. The only time I do traditional is if I'm using a variegated thread where I want the colors to fade in and out properly. The thing is I think I count more accurately using traditional.

My most comfortable and quickest way to stitch is going up with the first cross, left-bottom to right-top, then back down with the final cross. I waste a lot of thread getting into position to stitch this way.
richardandtracy

Allyn wrote:...If it matters, English cross-stitch uses a wee bit more thread. I saw a figure of 9 percent more, but I don't know where that number came from.
If you consider a cross of 1 unit along each side, the 'Danish/Running' stitch will have a Bottom Left- Top Right in front (1.414 units), Top Right- Bottom Right behind (1 unit) to get to the start of the next stitch to the right, then on the return, it'll be Bottom Right to Top left in front (1.414 units) then to get to the next stitch in the row, it'll be Top Left to Bottom Left behind (1 unit), giving 4.828 units.

The 'English/Traditional' will be Bottom Left-Top Right in front (1.414 units), Top Right- Bottom Right behind (1 unit), Bottom Right to Top left in front (1.414 units) then to get to the next stitch in the row, it'll be Top Left to Bottom Right behind (1.414 units), giving 5.242 units, or 8.57% more, which rounds to 9%.

Just for info. :roll:

Regards,

Richard.
fccs

Post by fccs »

I use both methods, depending upon the design and my mood. Of course, with overdyed fibers, it's always one complete stitch at a time.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
RosemaryD

Post by RosemaryD »

richardandtracy wrote:
If you consider a cross of 1 unit along each side, the 'Danish/Running' stitch will have a Bottom Left- Top Right in front (1.414 units), Top Right- Bottom Right behind (1 unit) to get to the start of the next stitch to the right, then on the return, it'll be Bottom Right to Top left in front (1.414 units) then to get to the next stitch in the row, it'll be Top Left to Bottom Left behind (1 unit), giving 4.828 units.

The 'English/Traditional' will be Bottom Left-Top Right in front (1.414 units), Top Right- Bottom Right behind (1 unit), Bottom Right to Top left in front (1.414 units) then to get to the next stitch in the row, it'll be Top Left to Bottom Right behind (1.414 units), giving 5.242 units, or 8.57% more, which rounds to 9%.

Just for info. :roll:
I am slightly ashamed to admit I have made the same calculation. I have also made it for alternate stitches along a row where it makes slightly less difference. Considering a row of 10 stitches alternating colours, the Danish method uses 26.46 units per colour (5 stitches) and the English 28.09 units, which is only 6% more.

:oops: I like maths :oops:
Rosemary

WIPs
Blue Moon - Andy Russell
The Shore of the Turquoise Sea - Albert Bierstadt
Arabian Walled Garden - Chatelaine
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

I do both, but prefer running. I do traditional when working with variegated threads or in confetti work.
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

richardandtracy wrote: ...If you consider a cross of 1 unit along each side, the 'Danish/Running' stitch will have a Bottom Left- Top Right in front (1.414 units), Top Right- Bottom Right behind (1 unit) to get to the start of the next stitch to the right, then on the return, it'll be Bottom Right to Top left in front (1.414 units) then to get to the next stitch in the row, it'll be Top Left to Bottom Left behind (1 unit), giving 4.828 units.

You know, as I was typing that, I said to myself, "I'll bet Richard will have an equation/calculation for that," and sure enough..... :)

I'll end a thread early and throw away a long piece if it gets even a little fuzzy so thread conservation is not in my agenda but I know other folks like to pinch it right to the very last bit. So there ya go. Danish cross stitch uses less thread.

WIP
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I know them as traditional and Danish as described here. My last project was a kit so I was very concerned about running out of thread, but in my HAED project thread usage isn't a concern so I don't care which is more efficient and will mercilessly discard thread when it becomes worn from stitching. I like how Danish returns me to where I started, but with the 2 over 1 full cross on 25 count of my current project I need good light and to look carefully to ensure that I don't miss any stitches on the return path. So while in the past I used Danish every chance I got, I new do a lot more traditional with my current WIP.
-Steve

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I've never heard of the variations referred to as "Danish" and "English" before. :thinks:

I mostly cross the stitch as I go, even though it does use more thread. I used to do the half stitch and then cross on the way back, but it was so frustrating when you either (1) miscalculated the amount of thread and couldn't cross them all with ought changing, or (2) found the pattern left you stranded. Of course, I use a combination sometimes.... :oops: I certainly cross as I go with variegated threads, or when doing long-armed cross stitch (don't think you can do it any other way, to be honest).
cairee

Post by cairee »

I stitch danish style unless using veriagated thread, then I stitch english style.
I find danish to be faster, and it uses less thread. I also like how the back looks with danish stiches
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Serinde wrote:I've never heard of the variations referred to as "Danish" and "English" before. :thinks:

Honest, I'm not making it up. :) Here is a reference. In this discussion, you told us you do the English method. :)

The earliest mention I found here was in 2007 in Rose's Glossary of Terms in the post dated Apr 17, 2007. (fifth post down in the "cross stitch" paragraph)

There was this discussion on the two methods from April 2013.

WIP
richardandtracy

Don't you just hate it when your own words are used in evidence against you... :wink:

Regards,

Richard.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

fccs wrote:I use both methods, depending upon the design and my mood. Of course, with overdyed fibers, it's always one complete stitch at a time.

I'm the same!
But when you do running with overdyed/variegated floss you can get quite an interesting textured look. :wink:
That of course depends on the design as it can ruin the effect. But it does stop the 'blocks of colour' look that you can get using these threads unless the change in colours in the floss is subtle.
seedreemer

Post by seedreemer »

Wendy, I sometimes do that with variegated in order to get that look. It's lovely on occasion.