Gryff: AKA Coontastic Gryffindor Update 25 May 2020

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Mabel Figworthy

Re: Gryff: AKA Coontastic Gryffindor Update 23 Apr 2018

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Sounds like you could make a comfortable flat/apartment out of that box :-) ! Glad you have had a little time to spend on Gryff, we've missed his majestic outlines. His fur is coming along beautifully!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
poppy

Post by poppy »

Wow, Richard! My mind boggles... It sounds amazing to me. Engineering and creativity are obviously your gifts. Very precise in everything too, as I can see in the nuances of all the colours of Gryff's fur.

I can write poetry but give me a section of an architectural drawing and I panic...I was hopeless at Physic at school. :shock:

With the stitch along, it is a bit like "Spot the difference" game and I can see that you have made good progress from the last time you posted a pic. It is truly a lovely project. :)
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
nannyrainbow

Post by nannyrainbow »

fabulous update, so many different colours in this section of the project - jut think how great it will look when completed :applesauce: :applesauce: :whoop:
Del
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Definitely a man of many talents is 'our Richard". I did a double take on the words "space craft box" but it makes sense once I read further.

A lovely update in spite of the lack of stitching time and heck every half a dozen stitches is that much closer to the finish so please Richard be kinder to yourself. You will get all of this magnificent and well loved Gryff finished in due time. :)
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
richardandtracy

Re: Gryff: AKA Coontastic Gryffindor Update 19 Jun 2018

Post by richardandtracy »

After a couple of months, I have completed the last few hundred stitches of page 10 of the plan:
The actual progress is:
This makes 43548 stitches complete from 98984, or 44% complete. Some way from where I had hoped to be, but life has intervened with a vengeance, so I cannot complain (won't stop me trying, though!).
It is actually turning out as nicely as I had hoped. Very pleased.

I'm now going to rotate onto 'Luz' and try to get a bit further with building my CNC lathe. I have a full spec CNC controller, now I need to attach little computer controlled motors to it so the controller can twiddle the knobs while I watch instead of having to concentrate on doing it myself (and getting it wrong!).

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

He turns out literally breathtaking. Both, the Cat and the snow look so absolutely real. Very well done on the chart, Richard. Of course, the stitching is perfect in all aspects too, but this you know. I am looking forward to next updates. Happy stitching!
Lyudmila
Mabel Figworthy

His coat is so beautifully rendered! Great work as always, Richard :applesauce: :applesauce:
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
fccs

Post by fccs »

Gryff is looking absolutely perfect!! I always love seeing him, but it'll also be nice to see Luz.

Have fun with your new toy..um, I mean, equipment. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Oh my goodness,

:applesauce: :applesauce:

This does blow me away Richard, not only making a programme fit enough to handle the majestic Gryff, then sharing it, and stitching the magnificent Gryff ( I read about him on your Chestnut Pens page).

This is a fabulous update, the depth of perception of his fur is remarkable. I want to reach into the screen and stroke that silky coat.

Do timescales really matter on a labour of love like this? I don't think so.

I once asked if there was anything you couldn't do and was taken aback at your reply, so I shouldn't be surprised you are building another contraption, er, I mean CNC Lathe ( like I know what that means!)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: I love Gryff!!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Your progress is good considering that life crashes in on us from time to time. I'm glad you are pleased; I think he looks wonderful.

WIP
fuchsiafairy

Post by fuchsiafairy »

A most beautiful cat & I can't wait to see this finished as it is wonderful. Great stitching, looks like a painting, you'd never guess it is stitched :applesauce: :applesauce:

just seen the heading ot this, is cat part Welsh with the name Gryff . Comedian Gryff Rhys Jones jumps to mind.
Polly :)
richardandtracy

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Things have been slow going at home, we're seeming to have less & less time to do anything at the moment. Hopefully things will eventually ease off a little.

As for making a CNC lathe, I hope to use it to make little fountain pens like this one:
I cannot engrave the spirals on the outside, or the engraving on the cap ring, by hand. It's difficult to do with anything other than computer controlled stuff. So, I'm doing the easy bit: Making the machine to make the parts I can't make. The lathe I'm converting is identical to the lathe part of my 16yo metalworking lathe (which has a little milling head too). The machine is as below:
It can spin stuff up to 17" (430mm) long and 12" (300mm) diameter. The steel cylindrical chuck on the left is 5" (127mm) in diameter. So pens occasionally feel a little lost on it, but I do other stuff too.
The lathe weighs in at 285 lb (129kg, 20 stone 5 lb), so is no toy.
To look at a industrial cnc lathe in operation, take a look at this video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Beopq2r6j8k

Regards,

Richard.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Don't know which I admire more, the machine that can make the spirals or the gorgeous spiral pen... :applesauce: :applesauce:
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Serinde wrote:Don't know which I admire more, the machine that can make the spirals or the gorgeous spiral pen... :applesauce: :applesauce:
Or the man who can MAKE the pen USING the machine. :)

WIP
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Excellent point! :king:
Mabel Figworthy

Allyn wrote:
Serinde wrote:Don't know which I admire more, the machine that can make the spirals or the gorgeous spiral pen... :applesauce: :applesauce:
Or the man who can MAKE the pen USING the machine. :)
Or the man who can MAKE the machine to make the pens :-)
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

Please, I'm used to cats, and am totally unfamiliar with anything other than total contempt coming my way. It's a bit disconcerting..

To be honest, it's nothing special. I'm just trying to do something for myself as I can't buy exactly what I want. Must be a bit picky, and don't want to put up with something that's not quite right for me. There is a side effect - I'm learning lots.

Regards

Richard.
richardandtracy

Polly,

Gryff's name is actually short for 'Gryffindor'. The whole litter of 4 kittens was named by the breeder's children after the houses in Harry Potter's school 'Hogwarts'. The previous litter was all named after Dr Who assistants. Gryff's brother, 'Hufflepuff' was almost identical, while Ravenclaw and Slytherin were all black. They were all magnificent Fleabags whatever colour, though.

Regards

Richard.
fuchsiafairy

Post by fuchsiafairy »

Thank you for explaining about cat names Richard. Must be difficult to name kittens when first born. Your cat has a very grand name & indeed he is a very grand cat.

Just been looking at your machine & pens. Totally amazed you adapt/build machines to suit yourself & make the pens &, from the weeks I've been looking on here, you work as well .. as if that's not enough to cap it all you build flood defences round your home!! Do ever stop to draw breathe? Love the pens, looked at your webpage & beautiful ones there are too. Your so called 'pernickety ways' ensure you make the best of every job you do. Perhaps you'll end up being a multi millionaire as James Dyson experimented & adapted his machines for years before getting the right one.

Look forward to seeing Gryff again when you do have time to relax & add a few stitches. Well done on the beautiful picture & other makes so far :whoop: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Polly :)