? on Framing and Quaker cloth:

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

ecology665

? on Framing and Quaker cloth:

Post by ecology665 »

For those of you that frame your projects. How many inches and/or cm do you allow for framing custom or non-custom? :thinks:
I generally buy 18 x 27 inch fabrics. I realized I could save fabric esp. the dyed fabrics to make future small projects like book cover for my grandnieces and nephews.

I happened upon a white and antique white Quaker cloth. The cloth is cheap. Has anyone worked with this cloth? Tell me about it. I would prefer a white cloth for my Paula Vaughan project instead of the beige cashel linen. :wave:
Allyn

Re: ? on Framing and Quaker cloth:

Post by Allyn »

I leave a generous margin. I add 12 inches (6 each side) to width and height so I have plenty of room for mats (sometimes double mats with a fillet). I usually do big pieces -- a fat quarter or bigger -- and I want enough room to have appropriately-sized mats. I see folks do big pieces and only leave a couple of inches for the margin and I wonder how they'll manage getting it framed when the mats will be wider than the margin allowance. But that's not my problem. :)

My problem is a lady at the LNS arguing with me because she thinks I'm buying too much fabric. Really? She's trying to talk me out of spending more money at her shop? I know what I want and I want what I want. She must have been so disappointed when I bought that great big (ha!) piece of fabric. Now I just buy it by-the-yard online and instead of an argument, I get a nice "thank you for your order" note with the packing slip.

WIP
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I normally allow 3 in all around as I don't want a lot of unstitched fabric showing. As I have not used Quaker cloth I can't help with your other question.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

I usually go for a minimum of 3 inches all around for my framing/finishing allowance, sometimes more depending on the design and how I want to finish it.

As for Quaker cloth, I've used it quite a bit and I love it! It's a Zweigart fabric so you know it's good quality and it is an cotton/linen mix, which means you get the look of linen without anywhere near the amount slubs making the fabric much more even and easier to count. Here is a close-up of a piece of stitching on 28ct Quaker in case it helps:

Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I've used Quaker cloth in the past for hardanger projects, and it's a lovely fabric. I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Depending on what I'm doing, I'll leave 2-3 inches around for finishing a large-ish project (after all, I might change my mind about the way I'd like it displayed).
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I like Quaker cloth too. Doesn't come in many colours but I guess as it's a natural fibre it would dye nicely. I've a whole metre of white that was a freebie gift from a supplier...I'll try a bit to see. :idea:

As for how much for framing I find 2"-3" about right if there's a mount board in the frame.
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

I'm mean with my fabric.Two inches all around is enough.
Re Monaco,I like it.If you go into the website below,the Giraffes are stitched on Monaco which I had dyed and I think Why Hoard Gold was also Monaco.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

Thank You Allyn, Sally, Amanda, Serinde, Wendy, and Marilyn for all your responses they were all helpful. :dance: Allyn you are funny! You took it there! I'm going to search where everyone orders their fabric from? I had to recently do a return/exchange on two fabrics, they were not what I expected and one was just hideous too me! I wish online companies put better effort into displaying better swatches.

Most of you averaged 3-inches as room for framing. I never framed a project before? For one, I was a bucilia $1.00 kit Queen :wave: . I would create them and toss them within 3-months. I did do Dimensions' 'European Bistro' but I tossed it within a 2-year time frame. I want to in the future frame my children's books projects: Miss Suzy the Squirrel, Tilly the Spacewitch, and Pleasant Fieldmouse. Ooooh, I also want to do Toady from 'The Wind and the Willows' :whoop: . I am totally clueless about frames other than they cost a lot of money. :tizzy:

As for the Quaker Cloth, I just might go for it, although I do have my eyes on "Queen Anne's Lace Jobelan". I'll see. :ribbit:

Thank You all. Mrs. Milkybar Kid. . .beautiful work! Love it! :wub: I hope to get there one day.

Projects:
2 new requests for Minions :gift:
1 pink house :gift:
Bettyboop (started) :gift:
Oriental Splendor (started)
Pumkin Patch (started)

Future Projects:
I'm at a toss for 'In the Garret or 'Sister's Three' Paula Vaughan. I also got caught up in adding beads, metallics, and blending filaments that I realized I was taking away the beauty of this romantic time period? :doh: So this is on the back burner for now. :tea:
Miss Suzy the Squirrel :dance:
Tilly the Spacewitch
Pleasant Fieldmouse
Toady