Bobbins

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Anna114

Bobbins

Post by Anna114 »

I had to buy bobbins (recently) for some of my new threads. They are complete garbage, too thin and flimsy. Anyone have a recommendation other then the plastic ones? I use the plastic boxes to manage my threads. I have ones from when I first started stitching circa 1992 and they are wonderfully strong. This last lot just stinks :o

Anna

Sexiness wears thin after a while and beauty fades, but to be married to a man who makes you laugh every day, ah, now that's a real treat. Joanne Woodward
Fizzbw

Re: Bobbins

Post by Fizzbw »

You'll probably find that DMC branded ones are stronger, or are in my experience, it's the cheap Chinese ones which are flimsy. Which is frustrating! I'm not sure there is any other way than bobbins if you use boxes, though the are other ways if you don't.

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I gave up on the cardboard bobbins years ago and have gone with the plastic ones. I keep the bobbins in the plastic boxes also and extra skeins in plastic floss bags. I have tried several other systems, but this is the one that has always worked best for me.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

rcperryls wrote:I gave up on the cardboard bobbins years ago and have gone with the plastic ones. I keep the bobbins in the plastic boxes also and extra skeins in plastic floss bags. I have tried several other systems, but this is the one that has always worked best for me.

Carole
:thinks:
Same for me---and the DMC brand of plastic bobbins seem to be far better than many others are!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Kathy_A

Post by Kathy_A »

I use the DMC brand cardboard bobbins, which I usually get either at my LNS or on Amazon. I did try the plastic ones once, but the stickers with the floss numbers on them never stay stuck to the plastic and I can't write the number on the plastic, so those are just about useless.

The cardboard ones do fall apart after heavy usage over a year, which I have discovered with this SQ map I am working on. I just cut off the top where I have the blended symbol and floss numbers on a sticker, tape them to the top of a new bobbin, and proceed from there.
Anna114

Post by Anna114 »

So, the point of the story is you get what you pay for :) I've never used DMC. I will have to give them a try. Worst part is I don't really use too many now since I have both mine and my mother's stash so there was no excuse to buy crappy ones. The bobbins are the, just in case I lose one or when DMC puts out new colors. When I retire in 1096 days, I was planning on coming up with a new system. I love those thread cabinets but they are really expensive. Thank you all for the feedback..... heading to Amazon now.

Anna

Sexiness wears thin after a while and beauty fades, but to be married to a man who makes you laugh every day, ah, now that's a real treat. Joanne Woodward
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

If I find I need to use a bobbin (I hate the way it makes the floss kinky), I use the plastic ones. The cardboard ones aren't acid-free and they horribly deteriorates my thread where it touches the cardboard after a period of time. I take the skein sleeve that has the color number on it and hold it on the bobbin while I wind the floss. That holds the color number in the bobbin.

I agree with other responses, though. Name brand ones like DMC will be better than the cheapo ones.

WIP
fccs

Post by fccs »

I usually use DMC bobbins, as well, with no problem. While on vacation earlier this month, I bought some of the cheapy ones and they are super flimsy. That said, they'll still work. When the bobbin is empty, I'll just toss it.

I also agree with Allyn that bobbins make the floss kinky, but it's still the system I prefer.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
crosstitcher1

Post by crosstitcher1 »

I'm "working" my bobbins "out of extinction." I absolutely "loath" them. 1. I "loath" having to "wind" the thread "off" of the no. skein, "onto" a bobbin, double work by my standards, and 2, like someone mentioned, "loath" working with "kinkiness" of the skein on the bobbin.
I have found , thru my stitching store over 20 years ago, the plastic "pocket holder" sleeves. I have 3 blue binders, for my 1, 2, 3 number system, and 3 black binders for my spares. I just fold the yard in 1/2 and "label" the "pocket" with the appropriate no. of skein. Same with spares, and with grand girls "stash."
I "inherited" my "late" oldest sis's embroidery "stash" in 2013, as she and I were the "only" "stitching" people in the family, her embroidery, at the age of 13, me, cross stitching, since 1983, and will be "teaching" 2 new sewing buddies this summer and will "pass" and "divide" those 12 plastic boxes of her "stash" between them. Her "stash" is all on bobbins and are "color-coordinated and in numerical order.
As her sight got worse over the yrs., she asked me to ""color-coordinate "them. And in "big type", I took it on myself, to numerical them on a piece of paper, taped inside of the lid, the "color-coordinated" numbers.
But "whatever" suits your "fancy", just have "fun" in this hobby, as there is "unlimited" ways of organizing and stitching techniques.

HAPPY STITCHING IN STITCHING LAND. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :D :D :D :D :D :D
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

I use the DMC ones myself, and have some cardboard ones for when I want to put kit threads in a bobbin.
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I just write the DMC floss number on the top of the plastic bobbin with a permenant marker, when I come to reuse I just wipe it off with a bit of surgical spirit.

Nxxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

I prefer to work from bobbins, (I use cardboard), and bobbinate kit flosses. Quality is getting poor, so I keep some on hand with my current project in case the little notches tear. DMC is definitely the best quality but are too pricey as I have a very large stash of floss. I do have a lot of plastic bobbins on hand from when I used them and will keep them in case I decide to change back.

Just my experience, once I pull one or two threads to thread my needle, I pull the thread gently between my fingers and the crimping isn't a problem. That said, I understand those who don't want the crimping.