Cross stitch groups?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

nettie

Re: Cross stitch groups?

Post by nettie »

Angel if I wasn't a few hours away I would join. You will find lots of people and if they are anything like us you will just need a space big enough, somewhere to make drinks and a rota for who supplies the cake!!

My local stitch shop has a group by they only meet on Tuesday lunchtimes. They haven't had enough interest to start an evening group (me and my mum were the only interested parties).

Most halls will let you use space. Some may charge but you could think about a small club fee that would help with costs. We have six people in my drinks club at work. We all pay 50p each and that covers our costs.
Angel

Post by Angel »

Yeah, I was thinking maybe a small fee to pay which would cover the cost of the room and over time maybe the more people who join there will be some left over to buy spare needles and scissors for the entire group to use should they forget theirs, ^_^

I really hope this takes off. If the Zest centre says no I'm going to have to look for a hall, maybe a church hall or village hall. There has to be a village hall somewhere right?
nettie

Post by nettie »

Rugby club, football club (both in my town have a lounge area which is nice n comfy for stitching), school halls, village halls, salvation army halls (family rates?) a large front room. Anywhere big enough. Even it is just two of you to start in each others houses as it grows you will find a space!
Angel

Post by Angel »

I'm sure the salvation army would gladly help out. My local army has at least seven of my family who attend. And pretty much everyone there knows me. I was raised around them, so I think I'll ask them before I ask churches. Plus maybe aunty Pat (from the army) would like to join us. She's my grammas brothers wife (gramma and her brother both dead).
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

would u all chip in for my plane ticket :(
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Or try the local whatever-it-is that offers courses like Beginners' Italian for adults -- they sometimes have craft clubs as well. It's how I found one in Rugby, and this summer some members left so they had a vacancy and I'm going to join them this September, every Monday 1.30 to 3.30 :dance: :dance: :dance: sorry, that doesn't help you :oops: but I mean you may be able to find one in Sheffield in that way?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
crazycat

Post by crazycat »

have you tried looking on gumtree to see if theres anything there
http://stitchycorner.blogspot.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Wip
Celtic fairy
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

What about contacting the local branch of the Embroiderer's Guild? They can be jolly helpful, and might have some idea about informal stitching groups. There is a Sheffield branch. http://www.embroiderersguild.com/" target="_blank
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

What a great idea, i wish u all the luck with it and if i was closer i would love to come. *goes to see how far away u are from me* :cry: ur 2 1/2 hours away from me. I really hope u can get it up and running soon and let us no how u get on.

Well done u for looking into this and trying to get something sorted hun. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

I wish there was one near me, there was but one about a 10 min drive away but it aint there now :cry:
Angel

Post by Angel »

awww we need a matter transportation device so you can come too ^_^

Thank you. I looked everywhere for one but there isn't any anywhere I can get to. Sheffield is such a big city. I mean there's around six motorway junctions for it. London (not greater london, but actual London) only has 1 motorway junction. To give you an idea of the size. So there are lots of stitching clubs out there but they're not near me and most of them are full anyway.

So I think I'll advertise in the local newsagents (they have a million stitching mags so the local stitchers are bound to go there!) On gumtree, facebook, myspace, sheffield forum, the zest centre, a local craft store, maybe hillsborough library. I reckon if I advertise there, enough people will see and come.
Angel

Post by Angel »

OH QUICK COME HERE AND CONGRATULATE ME!!!!!!!

I have a place sorted! The zest centre have emailed me back "If you would like, your group could use our café seating area, as the café is closed after 3pm. The area is well lit and warm, and as no other groups tend to use that area you should not be disturbed by other centre users. Otherwise we do have a meeting room upstairs that you could use, but there would be a charge of £20 per hour for that room. I think your group will be fine in the café area, please let me know what you think."

I've replied back that we would love to use the cafe for our group. But I'm also thinking that if I have enough interest we can move to the meeting room later. I would like to charge the group 50pence and put that money towards getting things for the group. Like bringing refreshments. Keeping a box of odds on hand for incase someone forgets something. Thngs like that. What do you think?
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Sounds great -- what a wonderful find!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Angel

Post by Angel »

Yeah, the zest centre is only at the bottom of my road too so I dont have to get up too early. They're a comunity centre project which is what made me think of them. You don't think peoplewill mind paying 50p a week do you?
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I don't think they'll mind in the least, I know I wouldn't.
Keep us updated on any interest you get Angel, this is really exciting news!!
:D
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Angel

Post by Angel »

Thank you. I will. I've posted on sheffield forum and gumtree.

I'm thinking of naming the group the Angelic stitchers. What do you think? Because I'm Angel, and I like the phrase "Stitching Angels" to describe cross stitchers ^_^
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Oh I love 'Stitching Angels' ... but then I really like 'Angelic stitchers' as well. :thinks:
They are both great names. :applesauce: :applesauce:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Angel

Post by Angel »

So do I. I originally thought Angelic stitchers and began working on a website for it, but I may well change the site to stitching angels.

Here's what I've got so far for the website http://angelic-stitchers.webs.com/index.htm" target="_blank
Jess03

Post by Jess03 »

A big congratz to you for finding a meeting place Angel :dance: And the site looks great too, certainly got talent in the web design department! :D

I think Angelic Stitchers sounds better but thats just my opinion. I dunno why but when I see "Stitching Angels" it reminds me of "Charlie's Angels" :doh: my funny brain lol
- Wren
Current Games
:Final Fantasy XIII: :The Sims 2:
My Blog!
Jelu's Cove

Updated: 3Mar10
Angel

Post by Angel »

hehe that's be great. Then we could take a photograph of three of us. Stitching projects in hand. Eh voila! A group logo!
Jess03

Post by Jess03 »

Don't they have something like that in the mag "Cross stitch crazy"? I swear I can remember it was one of those send your letters in to the cross stitch squad or something lol
- Wren
Current Games
:Final Fantasy XIII: :The Sims 2:
My Blog!
Jelu's Cove

Updated: 3Mar10