A Story Behind a Masterpiece

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Podolyanka

A Story Behind a Masterpiece

Post by Podolyanka »

There are more than 600 topics in "General" , so I am not sure this theme was not discussed in the past. At least it was not within the last 12 months.

I am sure each stitcher/knitter/crafter has a funny, sad, secret, etc, but no doubt interesting story behind some of his/her creations.

It would be intersting if we shared those stories. No one can understand and feel such a story better than a craftmate, right?

The idea to start this thread came when a cross stitch penfriend asked me earlier today why I added the butterfly to Jan Woodman's beautiful wreath of Australian flowers.

As it always happens in life, the best ideas are dictated by need. So the story of the butterfly is simple.

I was frogging a few stitches and managed to cut one thread of the fabric. It had to be fixed. Then I thought it had to be hidden completely. Hence the butterfly. After that I stitched that wreath on different table runners for my friends and family (3 or 4 times) and each time the butterfly was a "must",- "Don't forget about the butterfly, please". To me that wreath looks lonely without the butterfly now.

Now I am looking forward to hearing your stories.
Lyudmila
rcperryls

Re: A Story Behind a Masterpiece

Post by rcperryls »

I like this idea! And I love your story about the butterfly. My first thought was that I hadn't ever done that, but then an afghan I had worked on (one of the first) popped into my head. It was a Christmas theme and in the center was a large design of Santa Claus. This is also when I was fairly new to cross stitching and when I started stitching the Santa in the center I didn't realize that as I was moving down the chart the bottom of the design was on a previous page and not only would Santa have been off center, there wouldn't have been any room on the afghan to put that part in. But that left the right side of the design empty. So I had to find something to make it look right and took a little from one pattern and a little from another pattern etc and had a nice little workroom put together for Santa to do his thing. It actually worked. And so I was able to give a unique design.

Not much of a story but a way to get started.

Think I'll make this a sticky thread for now, so it doesn't get lost and I am sure we will get some really fun stories!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
poppy

Post by poppy »

What a super idea for a thread, Podolyanka! I love the stories about the butterfly and how Carole had to use her designer skills to fill the blank left and ended up with an unique design. You both created you own versions of the designs! :applesauce:

This is my story : One lunchtime break from work, I went to a craft shop to browse and saw the most wonderful kit of a swan and its cygnets.
It was half price but still quite expensive. Once home, I just mentioned it to my husband in passing and said that I have got enough to stitch anyway. Then, I forgot about it.
Six months later, on my birthday, my husband presented me with the very kit. I was delighted until I realized that it was a design stitched on black evenweave. I never stitched on evenweave before and the black seemed very daunting to me.
Well, I stitched it and the framed picture is on the wall in the stairwell. I am not scared of evenweave any more!
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
laura-rose

Post by laura-rose »

Lovely stories.
Laura :)
Roland

Post by Roland »

Love that the butterfly became a necessary part of the picture. And redesigning so much of the picture when still new to stitching, amazing. Wonderful that he surprised you with the kit you wanted. Eavenweave never worried me, but in black that would be intimidating.

I usually read all instructions to everything. But, who knew....cross stitch patterns have very important instructions.

I decided to stitch TW’s tapestry cat (without the border) on a sweatshirt. It was going fine until I got to the eyes. They contained a lot of 1/4 stitches. Which is why the pattern says it is not appropriate to waste canvas. I had already invested so much time on this picture. So, I pulled out some graph paper and redesigned the eyes using only full stitches. Nobody could tell I had changed it, and the girl I gave it to loved it.
cristaltipps

Post by cristaltipps »

My most precious piece of stitching is small and has a sad story behind it, I had bought a cross stitch magazine and flicking through it there was a design to stitch a pin cushion insert to place inside an old fashioned cup and saucer, the design was a pink rose and it was shown in the mag in a mug with purple flowers on which was nice but did not go in my mind. I thought no more about it other than that would be nice the following Monday I was at my Nan's house and making us a hot drink my eyes lighted on her one and only remaining china cup and saucer all her grandchildren had gone through the using the "best cup" phase but it was now just sitting in the cupboard, I cheekily asked her if i could have it and explained what i was going to do with it, also it had pink roses on it which i felt were such a match for the pattern, my Nan was a seamstress so i had the idea to give it back when it was done. She said yes of course i could have it and when i left i took it with me. Less than an hour later Nan was taken to hospital and died from a heart attack, it was over 6 months later before i could put thread to fabric but inside i had to do it in her memory and as i also love to stitch both cross and machine i thought she would be happy i use it, but i am so afraid of breaking it that it sits in my china cabinet now in memory of my beloved Nan.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

That is a sad but beautiful story, and what a lovely memory!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
poppy

Post by poppy »

Roland, it sounds like a lovely present for your friend. Redesigning the eyes must have been tricky, as it is where you can catch the cat's expression.

Oh, cristaltipps, what a moving account! Your Nan must have gone in peace. How good for her to have been able to see you before she had to go. She also knew that her love of sewing had been passed on to you. Thank you for sharing :hug:
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

What an amazing set of stories and I thoroughly enjoyed reading them all. Thank you Lyudmilla for starting this thread. Over coming days I will give it some thought and may post something on here, Right now I am a bit befunddled after my cataract op yesterday which went well, now I have to get myself together again. :)
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

Wow! Some really touching stories and innovative creations. :applesauce: I seemed to be attracted to silhouettes, flowers, and Victorian era designs.

:wip:
Marilyn Monroe
In the Garrett
Oriental Splendor
Debbie Mumm: Seasonal Banners