Anybody tried hand dying fabrics?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

wendywombat

Anybody tried hand dying fabrics?

Post by wendywombat »

I seem to have a whole lot of White fabric. Both Aida and evenweave, all in either linen or cortton.

I've used tea to give an antique effect but I'd really like to get some blues and greens. Any hints/tips?
I've looked at Amazon and they have lots of tie-dye kits but thats not what I really want.They seem to be too bright and vibrant. I'm looking more for a 'cloud' random look so more muted and not flat all over colour. I can buy those! . Rather like the 'Vintage' blues and greens of zweigart fabrics.
Inkysloth

Re: Anybody tried hand dying fabrics?

Post by Inkysloth »

I’ve used Inktense sticks to dye fabric successes - they’re solid water-soluble sticks, designed to be used either as pastels / crayons, or scraped into powder.

I soaked the fabric in water, wrung it out, then sprinkled the dye-dust from the stick onto the wet fabric. Then misted the fabric with a spray bottle to encourage the dye to disperse. Once it’s dry you iron it & the dye is set.

I’ll see if I can dig a photo out, the end result was really satisfying.
I lurk on Twitter & Instagram as @inkysloth
My print & calligraphy work is over at http://www.inkysloth.co.uk" target="_blank

WIPs
Geological map of the British Isles
Hand x-Ray
Ongoing string of small rainbow badges
Tessellating Escher-style lizard chair seat.
wendywombat

Re: Anybody tried hand dying fabrics?

Post by wendywombat »

Thanks, I shall look out for those and give them a try. I have so much white and cream fabric it will be fun to try my hand at getting some colour on them. :applesauce: