Problems with joining this Forum

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Podolyanka

Problems with joining this Forum

Post by Podolyanka »

Dear Admins,

There are some people who used to be for years members of the forum on cross-stitching.com, which was closed on 31st July. They are serious stitchers and nice people, so at my advice they keep trying to get registered here but in vain. I looked at the thread where memberes get registered, and since 5th Aug there have not been a single newbie, while usually there are a few every day. Please, help. Thank you in advance.
Lyudmila
Serinde

Re: Problems with joining this Forum

Post by Serinde »

The gatekeepers have had to be really vigilant in the last year or so in order to frustrate spammers and others who were trying to use easy membership to the forum to forward their own aims (some of them requiring "eye bleach" -- yuk). Unfortunately, this seems to have stopped some bone fide potential members -- such as those wishing to join from cross-stitching.com (which isn't related to us at all, which I'm sure you knew) -- from signing in.

I'll let the Guys know. I'm sure there is a happy medium to be struck, although we haven't been able to find it yet, it would seem. We always welcome new members, as you all know, and the cross-stitch.com crowd would be very welcome here.
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Thank you for your immediate answer, Serinde.
Lyudmila
brightflowers

Post by brightflowers »

Urm, excuse me for mentioning this but I registered Sunday before last. I got kind messages in reply.

Also another newbie joined same time/day or thereabouts & that is butterflies&bees. (Lisbeth).

Several people answered her initial posting on here under 'Welcome' topic. In her reply Lisbeth said she was going on holiday & would sort out flower chart books when she got home again. A few more Welcome posts since she replied, I have just looked to make sure I was correct in what I wanted to say.

There is also another craft forum called Craftbubble which I looked at. Think :I got that link from the craft forum you mentioned as I looked about joining that but it said closing down & someone recommended Craftbubble but I chose this one.

So some people do get on, me included & obviously Lisbeth. Don't mean to be rude by posting this, as I am new & unsure of myself. Not joined a forum before.

EDI T Just seen Serinde has replied. I did notice on the other website which has closed there were 7 or 8 (I kid you not) adverts one after the other for new bathrooms. So I never joined! Someone I know said they tried it but there were too many new kitchens, new bathrooms adverts etc instead of proper crafters so she stopped going on their forum page but is still able to download free x st charts as she had a registered name for there..
Last edited by brightflowers on Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jo :D
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I guess the point is that there have been few newbies, and the last thing anyone wants is to discourage stitchers from joining. I'm just glad that Podolyanka brought this to our attention. :idea: :horn:
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Hi All

The system that we have in place for joining has become tighter over the years to filter out spammers, but the knock-on effect is that it can sometimes (not often) filter out a genuine stitcher.

It is me that goes through them all manually and selects the ones to activate. This means that there is no longer a spam issue, but it does rely on me to vet all the applications. We used to have a terrible spam problem, but I think I am safe in saying that it no longer exists.

I think we have 2 ways we can deal with this issue...

1) I can lower the spam protection, which may let in the odd spammer.
Or
2) I can activate the known good applications as I am doing now, but also, if I am told, I can search for the good ones to activate, so there is no chance that they would be overlooked.

Regards

Alex
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

As my Mum used to say, "If you look for a problem, you will find one for sure". I seem to have found problems not only for myself, but for the whole site. Maybe you should leave the spam protection where it is- at the high level, and I will just give you (in a private message) the names of those two ladies? I am really sorry I have caused so much trouble.
Lyudmila
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

No, no, no! You haven't caused any trouble at all. Not in the least little bit. It was a very positive thing that you alerted the Admin to a potential difficulty. And just to prove it, I have set up a lovely afternoon tea for you and all your friends in the treehouse: it's a lovely sunny day, with just enough of a breeze to keep the midges at bay. Tea of your choice, cucumber and salmon sandwiches (no crusts, naturally!), scones, raspberry Victoria sponge with cream... Perhaps even a glass of champagne... :D
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Thank you, Serinde, Thank you very much for the wonderful afternoon tea. I have just finished my working day, so will enjoy the tea and some yummies in the treehouse before I start stitching.
Lyudmila