3D Rendering

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Roland

Re: 3D Rendering

Post by Roland »

richardandtracy wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:06 am I have been trying to pose characters interacting with one another. It's about 3x harder than doing two single figures. The characters must be looking in the correct directions, right expressions, not having bits of their body intersecting with the other character, look as if they're going to stay upright etc etc. Anyway, the image below is my second effort (throwing the lass into the river earlier was my first) and it was a steep learning curve. Anyway... The characters weren't meant to look quite as besotted with one another as they ended up. Ah well, anything that's not an abject failure has to be a win... No?

Here it is:

Regards,

Richard
The textures on this are amazing. The hair, clothing, and window. (I love those windows…was so upset when my dad removed them from our house to put in windows that would keep out the Canadian winter cold.)
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I agree, they are. Just wish I could claim credit for anything other than the lighting, camera angle and posing, but I can't.

The Houses are part of a street model called 'Northern Terrace Street' https://www.daz3d.com/northern-terrace-street (I NEVER pay full price for a model), but it could be from any Victorian street in any industrial town in the UK. The house rung on the housing ladder is about half way between my last house and my first house - they have a single upstairs window, like my first house, but have a bay window like my last house. However they don't have an eyebrow roof over the front door and bay window extending the full width of the frontage like our last house had... The model feels almost like home, if you know what I mean.
The male character in the image is this one: https://www.daz3d.com/scar-8 (I still never pay full price for a model!) and he's virtually the only male character I have, so has to do everything from being an insensitive macho clod to being an attentive boyfriend.
The female character is one I commissioned a sculptor to shape for me. From the neck down she's my wife's shape when we met. As I don't want to let on to Tracy quite how besotted with her I still am, the face is rather different.
The clothing & hair I have picked up as freebies - and is one of the reasons why I try to do my own freebies - as a thank-you to the community for everything I have received.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
richardandtracy

At the moment I am managing to combine my enjoyment of fountain pens, 3D modelling and rendering all in one project.

A couple of years ago, I created some accurate pen models which I originally made for an article I'd intended to write for the UK based 'Model Engineer's Workshop' magazine when they were asking for articles about hobbies that included machining. Unfortunately at the time due to my hernia, I couldn't stand at my lathe to make it, so the article rather fell by the wayside. However, I have kept the model, and may do the article in the end.

For the article I designed a pen based on the outside shape of a 1920's Parker Duofold 'Big Red', but with modern innards to make it more user friendly and easier to machine.

I have recently converted the pen model to work in DAZ Studio, along with models of some ink bottles, a couple of pen tidies & a pad of writing paper. Doing the poses to fit the pen to the hand has been very difficult & time consuming, but I have done a check render, to verify everything:
It does appear she can't be too used to writing, otherwise she wouldn't need to stick her tongue out in concentration!

I am now doing a model of the Onoto 3000 pen (also called the Onoto 'N' pen) dating back to 1909-1924? from a tracing of the 1923 production drawings used by De La Rue for their Onotos. That is a strange pen which fills on the downstoke of a plunger action, unlike pens like the MontBlanc and Pelikan which fill on the upstoke.

Regards,

Richard
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: I am continuously amazed at these pictures. After a while I'm sure the model will get a tighter grip on her pen.
Maybe she is left-handed?

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Carole,

That's how I hold my pen - I got my eldest to photograph my hand while doing it. My fingers are a good deal fatter relative to their length than that model, but the pose is the same. Definitely don't grip it hard, as it's tiring, and if the pen requires any force on the nib to get it to write, it's badly adjusted. The force on the nib should only be due to the weight of the pen itself, and it should write like that. I will admit that sometimes it takes a fair bit of adjusting to get the pen to work that easily, but it's possible.

Regards,

Richard
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Richard,

Thank you for the info! I will try a lighter grip, especially since I'm getting arthritis in that hand and I definitely need it for stitching.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

The lady in the picture does not write often, let alone much, I am sure.
Lyudmila
fccs

Post by fccs »

Your work is amazing!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Very convincing!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

How interesting. I hold a pen in a sort of inverted triangle between thumb, first and second finger, with the other two fingers sort of curled up underneath. Extra control! :shock: The result is that the outer bit of the first joint on my little finger drags on the paper. Pre-computer, I always had a callus on it (after exams, a painful callus!). I used to get shouted at by teachers at primary school for having my index finger more or less on the nib (we learned to write with fountain pens in those days), and at least I don't do that any more... :P
richardandtracy

Maybe I need to model up a Parker 51 too, with its hooded nib, meaning that it can be held with ink-free fingers within 6mm of the paper. I shall have to think on it.

Strangely enough, on my desk this very second is a 1964 vintage Parker 51 & a 2019 vintage Wing Sung 601, and they look and feel almost identical. The biggest difference is that the Wing Sung uses a modernized variation of the Parker 51 vacuumatic filler (used between 1941 & 1948), so the older pen is more modern in a way...

Regards,

Richard
richardandtracy

Having not been wildly well after having a dose of the winter vomiting bug, I thought I'd offer to the world one or two more unusual poses while they were fresh in my mind. This led to a little collage to show them off:

Maybe not the most attractive poses in the world, but who knows, someone may find one useful. Also means I've not entirely wasted the experience gained in the last week or so.. :?

Regards,

Richard
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:lol: :applesauce: :lol: :applesauce: :lol:
Always good when anything positive can be made from even the worst experience.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Mabel Figworthy

rcperryls wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:18 pm :lol: :applesauce: :lol: :applesauce: :lol:
Always good when anything positive can be made from even the worst experience.
Quite :shock:
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

A true artist finds inspiration in unlikely places?
richardandtracy

To be honest, I think the funniest comment I have received for the set is:
Wow, talk about making lemonade out of life's lemons!
It's one I'm going to try to remember for use elsewhere.
However I feel about the poses, they seem to have gone down quite well. In about 15 hours they've had 140 downloads. As usual, I am utterly baffled as to why so many people want them.

Regards,

Richard.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I suspect you struck a chord -- on all sorts of allegorical levels.
richardandtracy

Oh dear. I really do seem to have struck a chord with some people with my vomiting poses. Very, very odd. There have now been 1004 downloads of the first 5 poses (447 downloads), the conversion of those 5 for male characters (274 downloads) and the next batch I put up after I was asked to do poses for being ill into a toilet (283 downloads):
I am going to convert these to male characters, just haven't had time yet.

It is simply so odd, I just don't know what to say...
There seems to be an almost insatiable demand for these characters to look like everyday people doing everyday things rather than the 'Fashion Model pretending to be...' type poses. I'm not sure I'd have any idea how to do a 'Fashion Model pretending to be...' type pose, but people can seem to tell the difference somehow.

Regards,

Richard
Mabel Figworthy

She's got a pretty stunning figure for an everyday person.... ;-)
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

Much less stunning than the boss at home.
Well, as she used to look when we met..

And still does. Still does. [Yes, I do value my life! Just suffer from foot-in-mouth syndrome on occasions. :roll: ]

Regards,

Richard.