3D Rendering

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

richardandtracy

Re: 3D Rendering

Post by richardandtracy »

Oh, I completely forgot why I came back to this thread...

As a bit of a lark, I entered an image into a competition. The rules were that only 5 paid for items could be used, the rest had to be freebies, and the theme was 'Love is different now' and covered St Valentines Day.
To my total shock I won first prize (US$15) Hope the image isn't too big - sorry if it is.
The image is called:

'One is the loneliest number'

For some reason the title came first, and then the story, and then the image. The story was:

"Vickie has recently lost her love during the pandemic. It was just so sudden. He was only 29 and as fit as a fiddle. He got sick, feeling awful and looking blue-grey. That evening he was rushed to hospital, and she was told he'd be lucky to survive the night. That was Saturday, by Thursday they were talking about releasing him on the next Saturday. Friday, he got worse at an astonishing rate and died of multi-organ failure on Saturday, the intended day of release. She'd never even got the chance to hold his hand and say goodbye. Now today, absorbing the news the pregnancy test has just given her, Vickie went to where they had first met and she felt closest to him, ordering the same as they had eaten on their first meeting in the park. Chips and frankfurter, with coke. What a meagre meal for the weight of meaning now attached. He had Gypsy Tart to follow, a revolting local delicacy consisting mostly of sugar cooked in condensed milk. Sitting in her chair, the tears gently rolled down her face as his chair remained empty next to her. But it was the closest she'd felt to him since.. since that awful day.

It was not the way she'd expected to celebrate their first child, celebrate their love for each other...
Celebrate being together...

How can anyone bear it?"

[The illness progression was exactly as happened to one lady we know/knew. Her husband, 11 months on is still utterly rudderless. His world has been eviscerated.]

Regards,
Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Pretty darned good! And congratulations. :applesauce: :applesauce:
richardandtracy

I must admit it felt like real life monopoly, and I had picked up a 'Community Chest' card where it said 'You have won first prize in an art competition, collect $15 from the bank.'

Never done that before. Possibly I need to change career... :thinks:
After half a second's reflection: Naah.

Regards,

Richard.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Well done Richard!
Have to say it brought tears to my eyes...especially as it was 'from the heart'
:applesauce: :applesauce:
richardandtracy

Thank you Wendy.
I probably should try not to get quite so emotionally attached to people & their stories. But it's hard not to when they are so nice, kind, gentle and generous in themselves.

Regards,

Richard
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Richard (and Tracy too)
Never apologise for getting emotionally involved!
There are too many hard hearted people in this world already!
I always found it impossible to hold back the tears when I was nursing in difficult situations...still do in fact!
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

wendywombat wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:04 am :applesauce: :applesauce: Well done Richard!
Have to say it brought tears to my eyes...especially as it was 'from the heart'
:applesauce: :applesauce:
I agree completely! Brought tears to me eyes too. And also agree, having a kind and caring heart is never something to apologize for.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

It’s a beautiful rendering and even more beautiful story. I’m glad I’m not the only one with tears in my eyes.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
richardandtracy

Thank you so much for your comments. I hadn't really intended for the story to pack quite such a punch, but under recent circumstances, it didn't seem right to hold back.

Not all images are serious. I have done an entry for another themed competition where the theme is 'Spring Forward' and any interpretation anyone may put on it. My entry is called 'Springing Forward' and the idea for the image devolved from a nutty idea I had when half asleep. I imagined someone having a race while wobbling about on a bouncy spring between two boards. I then modelled up the 'Spring Thing' and diligently made a silly idea seem as daft as possible:

There's a storyline too:
[Report extract from the local paper] 'The race was to see who was the fastest person to use the 'Spring Things' (for want of a better name) to cover 100m. This is the first time the event has been run, so it was not as popular as the organisers hoped, and there were only four entrants. Maybe next year's event will be better attended, as all competitors and audience enjoyed the event enormously. At the start of the race there was not a lot of agreement over how to use the 'Spring Things', and one competitor thought that bouncing backwards would be the best way. However instant disqualification awaited her - it was the 'Springing Forward' race, after all, and the clue was in the name.. Standing on the 'Spring Things' took care and co-ordination (even with the competitor's shoes were glued to the spring board) which didn't come easily to any competitor. After a shaky start Alysha in lane 4 took a commanding lead and won by a good 20 meters, with Ki in lane 6 coming in fractionally ahead of Vicky in lane 5 after abandoning her novel rabbit hop method 5 metres from the start line and catching Vicky up at the 90 metre point. All competitors fell over at least twice and were helped onto their springs by members of the audience. Alysha's prize was a small replica of the strange obalisk that appeared in the woods this January, and she goes home secure in the knowledge she won the daftest race in the sporting calendar.'

I don't know when the competition results will be announced (probably in the next week or two) and frankly I don't care, I had too much fun making the image to be bothered about the result..

Regards,

Richard.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

This image is great fun. Certainly made me smile! Bravo.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Serinde wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:03 am This image is great fun. Certainly made me smile! Bravo.
Bravo from me too! Made me smile. In fact it could easily be posted in our Smile for the Day thread too!

Carole
:D
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Mabel Figworthy wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:56 am I want to see the splash when she hits the water :-) !
Finally got to do the splash... [Snigger]

(I discovered someone had modelled some realistic splashes and downloaded one, scaled it to the right size and positioned it to match the figure and Bob's your Uncle. If you're boggling, yes people do things like model splashes. Or even athletic stadiums and offer them as freebies, I modelled the stadium above and offered it.)

Regards

Richard.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

The splash is much appreciated :-)

As is that beautiful story you posted earlier and which I missed completely the first time round. I'm not suprised it won you a prize, it's not just a very accomplished image, but it's got a heart.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

richardandtracy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:10 pm ...I have done an entry for another themed competition...
Oh dear me. It appears that the image came second in the competition. Mad, just mad.

Regards,

Richard.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Does "oh dear" mean that I should commiserate because it didn't come first :-) ? No, I'll just congratulate you on another excellent result!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

Mabel Figworthy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:43 pm Does "oh dear" mean that I should commiserate because it didn't come first :-) ? No, I'll just congratulate you on another excellent result!
Definitely don't commiserate, just shake your head at a world mad enough to give my image a prize at all.
The thing I really must do is to finish the athletic ground equipment and poses before the Olympics. I have been rather remiss. I put the athletic ground in January, warm up poses last December. I need to do starting blocks, take-off poses and then everything else for the ground before July...

Regards,

Richard.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I am also congratulating (rather than commiserating with you) for taking second prize. Can't imagine however what the first prize must have looked like to have beaten you. So :applesauce: :applesauce: for the prize you got. Definitely well earned!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
fccs

Post by fccs »

Your 3D renderings are amazing. Congratulations on your second place finish.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
richardandtracy

Thankyou Carole & Debby.
I am at an early stage in creating renderings and have a huge amount to learn.

As for what beat me in the competition, this post shows the 'winners' in the competition thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion ... nt_6738836 I really think the winner deserved it, and I love the third place image, feeling it was a lot more deserving than mine. However, I don't actually to want to win such an argument! :wink:

The people who are most skilled put their offerings in a gallery here: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#gallery=trending&page=1 [should all be family friendly - I hope :beg: ] and I think many of them are utterly breathtaking. I can't get my head around the 2D image editing that many are so skilled at to change a picture from the pure 3D render to the eye-popping image that is often presented. Sometimes very little 2D editing is done with photoshop or equivalents and sometimes the 3D image is unrecognisable as the origin. It is getting increasingly difficult to tell what can be done in the 3D renderer and has to be done in 2D post work. In the last year fog effects became possible in the 3D renderer, as in the hunting image I did about 10 months ago, as below:
In 2019 that simply couldn't be done in the package I use, and had to be created as an effect in a graphics package. (Please forgive the apparent single leg on the hunter, I foolishly put the camera in a position where her two legs were in line and rendered, then posted the image before it was pointed out to me. :oops: )

Regards,

Richard.
richardandtracy

Been having a little fun with this over the summer. I have been collecting models of my favourite 2CV, and found an elderly model of one by an enthusiast. In fact he was so much of an enthusiast that when I commented on a few discrepancies from our one in the garage, he asked me to photograph our UK 2CV Charleston Variant so he could do me a special texture as a freebie to make it look more like our real car. He added right hand drive too. It's unbelievable how nice some people are. Anyway, I made a freebie traffic cone and created this work in progress image of a 2CV slaloming down a course:
I plan on putting in a screaming passenger to illustrate the 2CV driver's mantra 'If you can hear your passenger scream, you're not trying hard enough'. Also I need to add a UK numberplate. The traffic cone I modelled up is now available as a freebie, and to date 245 other people have downloaded it.

I fear I sometimes can't keep my mouth shut. I commented on another forum about the paucity of realistic everyday poses for figures compared to the rather more common 'Model in a studio pretending to be a normal human being' type stilted poses that are offered. And then next morning I blearily looked in a mirror and saw someone who might be able to do something about it. Idiot, idiot, idiot.
So I have made a huge rod for my own back and offered a number of freebie pose sets of people doing realistic type things. Naturally, they need an advertising picture to attract people to download the freebies, and they can turn into a nice little illustration. Here is the advert for a bundle of 5 free walking poses I have offered:
All the poses are are a machine readable files of instructions to move the figure's limbs into the positions shown so the user can get a realistic looking pose with a single mouse click - and then adapt it if necessary to the requirements of their particular image. And 975 people have downloaded this set of instructions since 13 August... Blow. Me. Down.

Then the same for opening a door.
I find it easier to think of a little story behind each set of poses (left to right, bottom row then top). On this one the character comes up to a door, tries to open it, finds it's unexpectedly locked. Then puts her ear to the door, hears something dreadful and then phones her BFF for advice while sinking to the floor. Final pose (top right) is the 'zero' that seems to be 'expected' by users to re-set everything.
486 downloads since 9 September...
The wall and opening door is also a freebie I offered. It's based on the dining room-kitchen doorway in my house, right next to where my computer was during lockdown. One afternoon while the work internet connection failed and I couldn't contact the company server, I modelled the wall and door right next to me instead, and made it the same colours as our room (white ceiling, above the picture rail & white gloss woodwork, cornflower blue picture rail and peach walls). Not very imaginative, I know, but it passed the time. It seems that 815 people have 'needed' a model of my dining room-kitchen doorway. I am just baffled.

Silly, I know, but a little fun.

Regards,

Richard.