Serinde's 2020 Stitching Adventures 7 December

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

wendywombat

Re: Serinde's 2020 Stitching Adventures 1 June

Post by wendywombat »

Just Amazing!! :applesauce:
You may think that it's not RSN standard but I am Totally Blown Away by it!! :whoop: :dance:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Mabel Figworthy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:58 am I've never covered an area this large with Bayeux stitch - can I ask whether you split the long stitches at all or do they stretch the whole length of the angels' robes etc? (I can't remember how big the piece is but it looks like quite a distance.)

Edited:
not "split" as in "split stitch", but what I meant was did you on very long stretches use two or three instead of one very very long one
Yes, the yarn runs the length of the bit you are working on. So, for the trumpets, it's quite a long stretch. All of the laid work is then embroidered further, to make the trumpet ends look like bells, for example, and the angels' toga thingys become quite "busy" (no such thing as OTT or bad taste in the Middle Ages). :lol:

@WW: thanks! 8)
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Wow~~
This is really nice!! :dance:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That is looking really awesome Serinde and the trumpets are coming along nicely in spite of your lovely weather distraction. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Thanks Serinde, that's very helpful. I saw a programme (or possibly a book) once where the very long distances were covered by two or three long stitches and I didn't like the effect, although if you weren't looking at it close-up I suppose it might work. I much prefer your single stretch! Will the long stitches in the trumpets follow the direction of the long shaft, or will they be horizontal? In the latter case they probably won't be any longer than in the yellow garment, and that looks great.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: This is so beautiful!! I looked at it on Postimage and enlarged it and spent a lot of time amazed at how even the stitches are and the texture. I agree with Mabel that "the Bayeux stitchers would gladly have welcomed you into their fold!"

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

You enlarged it?? :shock: Well. No pressure then. None at all. :tizzy:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Serinde wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:48 am You enlarged it?? :shock: Well. No pressure then. None at all. :tizzy:
No pressure. Its just that I was fascinated by the texture of the stitching and how beautifully you had done it. I thought it looked deceivingly simple and by that I mean, it is one of those stitches that require a lot of precision while you are doing it for it to look like it doesn't. I know that doesn't make sense, but I hope somewhere in that sentence you understand what I am trying to say.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mabel Figworthy

I've only ever used it for smallish areas and that was quite challenging enough - this is an impressive feat!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

rcperryls wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:25 pm I thought it looked deceivingly simple and by that I mean, it is one of those stitches that require a lot of precision while you are doing it for it to look like it doesn't. I know that doesn't make sense, but I hope somewhere in that sentence you understand what I am trying to say.

Carole
:tizzy:
Actually, the laying out of the long stitches has been likened to colouring with a big crayon. There are several aspects which are important, I've found, like making sure the stitches are really close to one another (1 fabric thread is good) but not overlapping (usually, unless making a curve) and trying to follow the design outline to make a good edge. But all the edges will be outlined, so some mistakes can be hidden. Thankfully! :ribbit:

@ Mabel: but you are dealing with the RSN. I'm copying medieval stitchers. Much more forgiving!
Kuschelschaf

Post by Kuschelschaf »

Serinde wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:10 am Remember I signed up for the Opus Anglicanum online laid & couched work course? Well, I'm several weeks behind (I blame the garden and good weather), but here's the first section finally done. It wouldn't pass muster at the RSN! I should add that I didn't have any brown for the 2nd angel's hair and ran out of pink, so I used Rennaissance Dyeing threads from their Elizabethan range -- hand-dyed using dyes available in the 16th century, etc. Slightly thinner wool, but behaved beautifully.

On to trumpets!

beautiful work as always! :)
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
Serinde

Re: Serinde's 2020 Stitching Adventures 30 June

Post by Serinde »

I'm finding Trumpeting Angels a bit too much of a challenge at the moment, so I cast around to see what else I might do. There, under its dust sheet, was my oldest UFO. Possibly the Oldest UFO in the World.Yes, the photo is upside down, because I'm working on it like that so that I can reach the centre. You can also see that it's wound over several times. It's a copy of the Cluny tapestry "Sense of Smell" and it's about 5' x 4' but only has about 20 colours. It's big. If I were starting it now. I'd do something very different; but I'm not. It's been surprisingly therapeutic, all that half cross stitch.

wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

YIKES!! That Is Big!! :shock: :shock: :shock: .......

But totally wonderful!
On printed canvas so at least you can concentrate on the pattern without having to find out where the Heck you were on the chart! :D
Mind you if it's That Old your chart would have been in a sorry state by now! :lol:
Mabel Figworthy

I'll miss the trumpeting angels (slightly concerned question - it's not the last trumpet, is it?) but this looks very therapeutic, much like my stem-stitch-only cat tile. But my goodness what a size :shock: :shock: :shock:
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Mabel Figworthy wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:30 am (slightly concerned question - it's not the last trumpet, is it?) But my goodness what a size :shock: :shock: :shock:
I think they are the Trumpet Voluntary!! :lol: :lol:
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

The size IS impressive, but when finished, it will be a great achievement. Come on, Serinde, you can do it. I am already sitting in the corner waiting for further updates.
Happy embroidering!
Lyudmila
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Podolyanka wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:03 pm The size IS impressive, but when finished, it will be a great achievement. Come on, Serinde, you can do it. I am already sitting in the corner waiting for further updates.
Happy embroidering!
I agree completely! Pulling up the magic bench so there is plenty of room for watching this magnificent piece of work progress. We are here, cheering you on as long as you need us!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

@ Mabel: I suspect these angels are more Christmas angels rather than Apocalypse Angels. I also suspect they are from the Luttrel psalter, so I could always check.

@WW:
wendywombat wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:12 am On printed canvas so at least you can concentrate on the pattern without having to find out where the Heck you were on the chart! :D
Would that that was true. It's painted on, which is fine until there are three lines of colour where only two stitches fit. Now, if I were starting this today, I'd have handled that better. I might also have done the faces, hands and the underskirt of the dress in petit point for the detail. But I didn't. In fact, I'm not sure pages of chart couldn't have been preferable because one of the reasons I got fed up was because I knew I would not be able to replicate the painted pattern in stitch. :tizzy:
Mabel Figworthy

This is why proper "stitch-painted" canvases are so expensive, apparently - because the maker paints by hand where every individual stitch goes, with none of the confusion you describe. Now that might be a painted canvas I'd be willing to try! Still, this is what it is and if you are finding it relaxing most (if not all) of the time that's good :-)
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I might start working now by rolling the (real) bottom up a bit. I'd like to keep the flower figure in that underskirt somehow, and it might be best tackled 'right-side up' . Must also finish poor unicorn's tail!