Why hello! Life & a Finish

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

CuriousKitty

Why hello! Life & a Finish

Post by CuriousKitty »

Sorry I have been gone for so long. Life, as usual, got in the way as we have all seen with the pandemic. I work as a hospital staffer for the inpatient units, so I basically manage making sure all the units have enough staff going into each shift as much as possible... and up-staffing for covid patients. Unfortunately, it's had the side effect of drastically worsening my fairly minor IBS into full blown no-dairy, no-wheat and daily abdominal pain. I had my first anxiety/panic attack ever driving home from work yesterday and I took today off.

But, there's a bright spot in all of this. I have actually finally finished every panel on my baby afghan after 7 years. I see that the last update I had for it on the forums was somewhere between Q and R, in 2017 (ooops). It's also when I still used photobucket, so of course all the images are now gone and the thread will have to be updated with new pictures.

There was some indecision as to what would go in the corners after all this time, if anyone followed the emotional history behind it. The blanket was originally intended for one niece, then both nieces, then I put so much work into it (and was on the outs with my sister) that I decided to keep it for my own children only to find I wasn't going to be having any. The end decision was 2 flowers, a daffodil for March birthday and a daisy for an April birthday, for my grandparents. The daffodil was entirely free-handed off of a picture that had no pattern, and the daisy was a purchased pattern that was modified quite a bit to fit inside the panel.

I have now reached where I will begin working on the fringe of the blanket, but I'm a bit stumped. One set of instructions I looked at says to pull all the horizontal threads out of each side, so when you get to the corner and this clearly would be all the threads as one side's horizontal is another side's vertical... how do you tassel the corner? Do you just... not have a corner tassel?

I'll get around to updating the thread later, but I did want to share the finish.

Last edited by CuriousKitty on Mon May 18, 2020 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squirrel

Re: Why hello! Life & a Finish

Post by Squirrel »

WOW and DOUBLE WOW That is totally amazing. :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :rainbow: :toast: :balloons:

Welcome back too, it is great that you have found your way back here and hopefully the physical problems are already ceasing to both you. :)
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Welcome back :wave: - you're having quite a time of it, may both the physical difficulties and the anxiety soon improve.

And that blanket is just amazing!

I've never done one, but we have members who have and I'm sure they'll be able to help you.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

That is beautiful. Very well done. I’ve been awol myself, not stitching at all but have been getting itchy fingers lately, looking for something to do.
Linda
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Sorry, possted the same twice.
Last edited by Podolyanka on Thu May 14, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyudmila
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

:thinks:
Last edited by Podolyanka on Thu May 14, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyudmila
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Sorry, I cant explain it properly in English. The idea is you take a bunch of threads hanging off the afghan (the second picture- the right edge is not done yet) and stitch like it is shown to the left of the needle in the picture of this piece of hardanger, only that it all goes upside down- the threads will be hanging from where you stitch. I hope you can see what I am talking about.

Lyudmila
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Lovely afghan by the way!

I think the instructions want you to create enough extra thread -- perhaps as much as almost to the outside of the block where the two parallel lines of different weave are found -- on each side to allow you to do a hemstitch, the way Lyudmila has described. From the photo, the loose threads on the side are too short to do much with, but you can unweave to give yourself longer threads. Does that make sense?
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

With all those tassels, i completely forgot to tell that this floral alphabet afghan is absolutely beautiful and elegant. very well done, CuriousKitty :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Last edited by Podolyanka on Thu May 14, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lyudmila
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

We have 4 shawls dating to the 1920's where the ends are long 6" or so, and 5 threads are knotted together right next to the untouched fabric. No stitches, just knots.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Thank you for the great idea, Richard. I am sure it will resolve CuriousKitty's problem better.
Lyudmila
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

Serinde wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:36 pm Lovely afghan by the way!

I think the instructions want you to create enough extra thread -- perhaps as much as almost to the outside of the block where the two parallel lines of different weave are found -- on each side to allow you to do a hemstitch, the way Lyudmila has described. From the photo, the loose threads on the side are too short to do much with, but you can unweave to give yourself longer threads. Does that make sense?
Podolyanka wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:32 pm Sorry, I cant explain it properly in English. The idea is you take a bunch of threads hanging off the afghan (the second picture- the right edge is not done yet) and stitch like it is shown to the left of the needle in the picture of this piece of hardanger, only that it all goes upside down- the threads will be hanging from where you stitch. I hope you can see what I am talking about.

richardandtracy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:09 pm We have 4 shawls dating to the 1920's where the ends are long 6" or so, and 5 threads are knotted together right next to the untouched fabric. No stitches, just knots.

Regards,

Richard.
I think Richard's idea was closer to what I was imagining, where I would gather 4-5 at a time, maybe even 3, and just knot them all together at the base.

My concern is the corners, would it look okay if there's no corner tassel, since one side's horizontal threads that you remove are going to the be the adjacent side's vertical threads? I mean I guess it would be fine, I'm just terrified to start and hate it at the end!

Thank you all, it's been such a huge project and I really don't want to mess it up in the end.
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

When I edge the tablecloths or tablerunners, I actually have the same problem with corners, so when I stitch around those bunches of threads(in my case just two at a time), in the corner I take one thread from one side, the other- from the other side(vertical and horizontal as you call them). Then in the corner I dont have a too big "hole". I hope you see what I mean.
Lyudmila
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

Podolyanka wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:41 am When I edge the tablecloths or tablerunners, I actually have the same problem with corners, so when I stitch around those bunches of threads(in my case just two at a time), in the corner I take one thread from one side, the other- from the other side(vertical and horizontal as you call them). Then in the corner I dont have a too big "hole". I hope you see what I mean.
Wow why didn't I think of that- that's how mentally taxing my week has been. That sounds perfect, thank you!
fccs

Post by fccs »

That’s a beautiful afghan!!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

This is what I've started with!

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Just right! :applesauce:
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

That really looks professionally done. It must be difficult, but looks great.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Looking good! Lyudmila, I was thinking that too, gathering from both sides - glad to hear it actually works in practice!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

richardandtracy wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:38 am That really looks professionally done. It must be difficult, but looks great.

Regards,

Richard.
Aww thanks Richard! I don't know that it's really that difficult, you just make a knot, but I'm positively :wub: :wub: :wub: that you think it looks professional!