Where I’ve been.....on a Woodventure..

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Corey.G

Where I’ve been.....on a Woodventure..

Post by Corey.G »

As the title says I’ve put more time and effort into what’s called Woodturning where you do most or all of your work on a wood lathe. I have been doing this for a while, I think made posts about it long ago. Been consistently improving and honing my skill for the last four years. Just now I want to make a business out of it. I still do my cross stitch every now and then when I can’t get to my shop and need a quiet hobby. But I’ve been very busy lately.

One of the things I’ve been most busy with trying to make more of and getting the word out there is these;

They are dice holders that are in the shape of a potion bottle. I play dungeons and dragons a lot and other RPG’s and now that I’ve found a way to incorporate my nerd ex’s into my love of woodturning it’s all amazing. These are made by hand on the wood lathe with resin and walnut wood. Hollowed by hand instead of being CNC printed I find gives it a much needed personal touch. The dice that are pictured is how much can fit in one bottle dice holder.

I’m also doing more pens and trinket boxes and all sorts of stuff. I’m now on Instagram @woodventuresstudio and Etsy; https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/WoodventuresStudio

Big things in the works. Any questions or feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

Corey
Last edited by Corey.G on Fri May 22, 2020 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squirrel

Re: Where I’ve been.....on a Woodventure..

Post by Squirrel »

Welcome back Corey and thank you for sharing your wonderful new hobby. Very cleverly made and oh so colourful. Well Done. I hope you will share other things you have made with us.

Way back when I was a whole lot younger my cousin Alan did a lot of wood turning of various gifts for the wider family. He also made a beautifulbox to hold the video tape of Christchurch City and the Canterbury Plains which was gifted to her Majesty the Queen.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Corey.G

Post by Corey.G »

Wow. That’s awesome. For me it’s definitely a lifetime hobby/possible business venture. I just can’t get enough. Weekdays are for my daughter and prep. Then Sunday’s is usually my day. I could (and have in the literal sense) talk for hours about just woodturning. Some have made that mistake............but I’ve learned to recognize the void look early 🤓.

PS; not new. Been doing it for about four years consistently and 5 years before that off and on. Edited original post to clarify that this isn’t new. Just new business.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

What a great hobby!!
Whenever I go to a craft fair I always seem to gravitate to the wood turners stalls. My D/h loves wood and can be easily persuaded to buy from them so I have trinket boxes and key-fobs all from local artisans. (we are usually on holiday with just hand luggage or I would come away with larger items!! :wink: :wink: )
A neighbour of D/H's late uncle used to do wood turning and I have 2 of his pot pourie dishes.

Looking forward to seeing more of your designs! :applesauce: :applesauce:
Corey.G

Post by Corey.G »

wendywombat wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:09 amLooking forward to seeing more of your designs! :applesauce: :applesauce:

Thank you very much. I do have all my work on Instagram and my Etsy store if you want to see more. Just didn’t want to plug this thread up with photos. One thing amongst all keychains, pens, pendants, etc... that are small and easy to carry are Christmas ornaments. Love making those.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Wow, beautiful items on your Instagram, Corey.G! I love wood. It is such a noble material. :applesauce:
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

poppy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:06 pm Wow, beautiful items on your Instagram, Corey.G! I love wood. It is such a noble material. :applesauce:
Couldn't agree more.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Wood is beautiful and you do beautiful things with it!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
fiddler

Post by fiddler »

These is a great hobby. My daughter in law always wanted to do wood turning and when she left teaching she joined a class and made a bug hotel and a beautiful bowl.Unfortunately lockdown happened and all classes were cancelled. Hopefully she can continue when we are back to normal. I love thing made of wood it feels so lovely you just want run your hands over it. Well done :applesauce: :applesauce:
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Wow~~~ very very impressive!!!! :wub: :wub:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

To echo all of the above would take too many quotes so I'll stick with Absolutely beautiful!!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Corey.G

Post by Corey.G »

Thanks everyone for all your kind words. Hopefully one day I’ll be selling my pieces a bit more than I do now. I’m just too excited about the dice holder especially and had to tell everyone I know......which equates to online people. Lol.
Wolfe85

Post by Wolfe85 »

Fantastic work, love that potion dice holder/shaker.
I play D&D, so that's right up my street. I also wood turn amo gst many of crafts I like too do.

I look forward to seeing more posts of your work.

Wolfie.