Crane in Winter

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

works4me

Re: Crane in Winter

Post by works4me »

This is looking great.
HAED Mind if I Hang Out -Page 17/36 finished. ?/154,350 stitches
Hang In There - finished, waiting for a decision on framing or turning into a mini quilt
Universal Monsters - finished, waiting in line to frame
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Really liking the progress you've made so far. And yes, floss that hides is a thing. Yarn does it, too, by the way. :P
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

Serinde wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:24 pm Really liking the progress you've made so far. And yes, floss that hides is a thing. Yarn does it, too, by the way. :P
You just get in that groove of "DMC list and pick from stash" you forget there is other stash too! XD
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Ain't that the truth! You'd think the list of supplies had been handed down on tablets of stone. Although (she looks around furtively) I have been known to substitute Anchor thread... but don't tell anyone. :silenced: :shifty:
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

*gasp* Anchor!?
DLG

Post by DLG »

https://pin.it/7sm5pU9
Yes I am guilty of this too.
This was an old Margot de Paris France kit supplied with the DMC tapestry yarn skeins.
But I worked with a basket weave stitch or a backstitch style tent stitch and of course ....ran out.... luckily I had a great stash of old British Anchor!
https://pin.it/6NXki37
So I was able to finish it and I think it is hard to tell... but it was a great help having the frame that hubby made since I was skipping around the canvas to make the best use of the DMC provided and my Anchor substitutions!
My choice of tapestry yarn... Anchor.
The fancy pants French kit supplied with minimal skeins had 13 cream for the sky area. There's a dye lot boo boo in their own skeins which I can see in the diagonal lines of the basketweave!!
But for cotton I like the old 16 gauge skeins from the DMC factory in Mulhouse Alsace
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Serinde wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:39 pm Ain't that the truth! You'd think the list of supplies had been handed down on tablets of stone. Although (she looks around furtively) I have been known to substitute Anchor thread... but don't tell anyone. :silenced: :shifty:

I won't tell if you don't cos I do that frequently as I don't have enough DMC, but a full set of Anchor! :roll:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I don't have much Anchor because it seems like it has always been more difficult to find than DMC, at least before my main suppliers were online ones instead of the long lost LNS's. I do use Anchor black because it is slightly thicker than DMC black which is way way too thin. I don't think it matters much if the colors work and if the only one who knows what you are doing is you.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

DLG wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:47 am https://pin.it/7sm5pU9
Yes I am guilty of this too.
This was an old Margot de Paris France kit supplied with the DMC tapestry yarn skeins.
But I worked with a basket weave stitch or a backstitch style tent stitch and of course ....ran out.... luckily I had a great stash of old British Anchor!
https://pin.it/6NXki37
So I was able to finish it and I think it is hard to tell... but it was a great help having the frame that hubby made since I was skipping around the canvas to make the best use of the DMC provided and my Anchor substitutions!
My choice of tapestry yarn... Anchor.
The fancy pants French kit supplied with minimal skeins had 13 cream for the sky area. There's a dye lot boo boo in their own skeins which I can see in the diagonal lines of the basketweave!!
But for cotton I like the old 16 gauge skeins from the DMC factory in Mulhouse Alsace
Wow that finished piece is gorgeous!

And I was just being silly over the Anchor thing, I thought it was pretty funny. And yes, I never see Anchor sold anywhere near me. Only DMC (it's how you know we're all a cult 😁)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I know you were. :D But not too long ago, people were aghast if you mixed your threads. Now it's kind of a thing.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

mixed meedjah!

Oddly enough, the only shop selling stranded cotton in our nearest town (Rugby) sells Anchor.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

We can't buy Anchor here in France, it's all DMC!
I started out with Anchor as the shop I used near Bristol stocked Anchor.
I guess it's what we all 'grew up' using. Each brand is equally reliable and excellent quality. :D
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

DMC was ubiquitous in the US back in the day, and I still use it by preference, but Anchor is a perfectly excellent thread. Actually, aren't we lucky to have so much choice in threads!
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Anchor is stocked by my local B&M store. Unfortunately the price is.. painful. Last I saw was £1.20 per skein 5 years ago. I simply cannot afford to be a customer of theirs with projects requiring 180+ colours.

Then DMC threads are available in the nearest HobbyCraft (8 miles away, 25 mins) & in a shop in Rochester (10 miles & 40 mins away).

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

I have finished all of the snow! I can't backstitch this section however, because some of the wings come up against the snow, so it'll have to wait.

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

That is so effective! :applesauce: :applesauce:
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Looking lovely against the sparkle in the fabric!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Such pretty fabric!! You have made great progress! :applesauce:
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That is so elegantly beautiful and what a great idea to b/s as you go. A fabulous update :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Squirrel wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:38 am That is so elegantly beautiful and what a great idea to b/s as you go. A fabulous update :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
I completely agree

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker