Calling all Pros

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Sahari

Calling all Pros

Post by Sahari »

Back again. It's amazing how much time I spend thinking about a project I haven't even gotten my hands on yet! :whoop:

Okay, I've determined that to stay sane working with 114 un-blended colors, stitching diagonally with strict parking rules, I want to be hands free. So I invested in a frame holder, but don't want to use my Q-snap frame this go -- instead I want a frame that will allow the piece to 'be' the entire time without having to reposition. I'm thinking a scroll frame will be the thing, but not 100% sure which size to get. Here are the details involved:

Finished project will be 12" high by 18"wide
Finished project will be matted and framed
Aida cloth size (incoming): 18" by 21.5"
Scroll frame size choices: 15.7" x 22" OR 13.7" x 18.8"

The frame holder (K's Creations Z Lap Frame Holder) will hold a frame up to 22", it says.

Thoughts from wiser heads than mine?
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Calling all Pros

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I am not really the right person to answer this as my largest ever project (the Jacobean tree) had a stitch size of less than 9" by less than 12", and that was on a slate frame because it had to be!

I've used my Lowery stand with a 16" wide Millennium frame, and that was ok but it needed propping up at the unsupported (unclamped) side; I've also used a lap stand with that same frame and that works just fine.

I'm not familiar with the stand you mention but if it clamps on the side be prepared to prop up the unclamped side.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

So now I'm on the lookout for a frame crutch, good to know. Thanks Mabel. Girl with a Pearl Earring? Scarlet Quince shows that @ 11"x13" on 18 ct.... you must have stitched that on smaller cloth, huh. Oh me eyes hurts just thinkin' about it.
Mabel Figworthy

If you mean my avatar, that's just the painting, not an embroidery :-). My maiden name is Vermeer and I do have some pearl earrings I wear a lot (though they are not that size!), hence my choice of picture.
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

Lol. Ah the little worlds we assume in our heads! Aren't you even tempted to stitch that image? Sure seems like it was made for you...
Mabel Figworthy

I might like to attempt it in needlepainting some time...
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

IMO, your scroll frame should not be less than the length of your cloth -- so 15.7 x 22in is the one to use.

Why have you decided to use a lap stand? With a large frame, I suspect that would be very awkward. I'd use a floor stand (even an inexpensive Opus stand will deal with a 22in frame), but I'd also invest in "helping hands". I have a set, and it really makes a difference.
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

Hmmmmm. I guess I thought with the lap stand, I could still sit in my recliner, reclined, and stitch, whereas a floor stand will dictate that I sit up the whole time, and my back does tire quickly. So hard to make these decisions without any experience on any of these things!

Update: I did cancel the side clip lap stand, thank you very much for the save! But I'm not sure what to get in it's place. I am looking at a Standard Base lap stand on StitchVine's Etsy page, but I am confused about a bunch of things with this... and am waiting to hear back from the seller.
Mabel Figworthy

For my Millennium frame I use Needle Needs' Aristo lapstand which serves me very well it is beautifully made and sturdy. The downside is that NeedleNeeds are very very slow in delivering, and not very good at communicating :-(
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

Mabel, I found a picture of you and your cat when I went looking for the Aristo. How lovely!

That stand is a beauty. So simple -- my favorite thing. And hard to find (out of stock the only place i was able to find it). And overseas, from me.

I'm going with a different K's Creations --Standard Base with 22" scroll rods-- the legs will sit on the arms of my recliner. Or so I anticipate... I did measure! At least I think I'm going this way -- Serinde may post again :wink:

So, while we're on the subject of Calling All Pros, can we talk about Feathering too?

I see feathering as a 'must' listed on stitching websites, but so many YouTube video-makers (who are stitching heavy-duty patterns) aren't feathering! I asked one of them about that, and she replied that aida coth doesn't need feathering "as much as" linen, or even weave. Maybe "as much as" refers to the higher cloth count doesn't show as much as lower, or other 'way 'round, she didn't elaborate (I will be using 18 ct aida) so to be safe I thought I'd go diagonal to combat the checkerboard effect, and also for parking/thread-ending reasons. So what are your personal feather rules or lack of?Or is feathering still a good idea even with diagonal stitching?
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I think the standard base will work well, if it fits your recliner. Is the base of the base (if you see what I mean) plain wood, or can you attach a beanbag to it for extra comfort when its not suspended between the arms of the chair?

Feathering? I confess myself at a loss as to what this might mean. I always secure the edges of my fabric (it varies... small items get masking tape :wink: , but don't tell the stitch police), and I'll occasionally mark the horizontal and vertical centre (especially with hardanger). But what's "feathering"?
Mabel Figworthy

I don't know the term feathering - is it the same as railroading, i.e. taking your needle into the fabric between the strands to make sure they lie flat?
In that case, I would do it in pieces where the smooth look is very important, but not in for example quick little card projects. Some people, I know, have made it such a habit that they railroad automatically all the time!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

Sorry, I thought it was a well known term. :oops:

Feathering: staggering the ends of your rows so all your 'end' stitches are not in the same column. Does that make sense?

And Serinde: regarding
Serinde wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:21 am I think the standard base will work well, if it fits your recliner. Is the base of the base (if you see what I mean) plain wood, or can you attach a beanbag to it for extra comfort when its not suspended between the arms of the chair?
I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at: the base of the base (which is plain wood, I believe) WILL be suspended between the arms of the chair while I am using it... not actually in my lap (the base of the base is wider than the seat of my recliner -- thus it will be resting on either side of the seat, as in, on the top of the arms of the recliner. Sorry if I'm repeating something you already know...

And Mabel: regarding
Some people, I know, have made it such a habit that they railroad automatically all the time!

I see a lady on YouTube that wears a special ring with a needle attachment that is used to hold those two threads down, untwisted, as she pulls thru. Each stitch she does this and it takes her no time at all. I, however, couldn't even figure out which finger or was it a thumb? she was wearing it on!
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Regarding the base of the base... I did understand it will be suspended on the arms of the chair, which will provide a really good working area for you. Guess I was thinking that, if it were ever to be on your lap, attaching a beanbag to the base would make working with it more stable. But that's for a potential future.

Thanks, I see now what feathering is. Guess I wouldn't bother -- I like that straight row, and it makes it easier to block once the embroidery is finished, but I can see how it might be useful. Hey, if it works for others, great -- the idea is to enjoy your stitching and the result, after all.

Sounds like the lady in the video has a trolley needle. I use a laying tool, which I find very useful, but railroading does the same job.
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

I like that straight row, and it makes it easier to block once the embroidery is finished,
Yes, the very last, far right column of stitch holes on a piece do tend to end all all in a line. But if I go grid-block by grid-block (for example), some people stop at the 'end' of each block, and some people stitch a few extra stitches (1 extra, then 2 extra next row, then 1 extra third row, maybe 3 extra fourth row, etc.) to avoid what they call the "checkerboard effect" which means when the piece is all finished, the eye somehow is able (they say) to discern a 'line' (a difference) where the column lines took place (on the grid -- meaning, every 10 stitches).

Now that I've beat that explanation to death, let me go look up Laying Tool.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I'm coming into this a bit later in the subject.
I, too have a millennium frame with an aristo lap stand. It's fantastic, but as Mabel says, a long wait and horrendous communication! My frame is 16" wide and I wouldn't want anything wider as it's quite heavy on my lap and anything wider could be unbalanced.
I did have a stand that could either sit either side of me on the sofa cushions. It was very unstable. If your proposed frame sits on the arms of your chair how do you stop it moving about as you use it and does it flip over so you can fasten off your floss?
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

@Sahari. Ah! now I see what you mean. Yes, I do that on my HAEDs where I stitch by grid rather than cross-country by colour, although I didn't know it had a name. :lol: How exciting. I'm off to the Stash & Grab for a coffee, I'm so chuffed at learning something new! :wip:
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

Wendy:
It was very unstable. If your proposed frame sits on the arms of your chair how do you stop it moving about as you use it and does it flip over so you can fasten off your floss?
Well, I don't know about the movement factor since I haven't actually used it yet (on order). :thinks: Maybe a couple of long nails and a hammer? No... :thinks: Maybe I'll have to attach a couple of sand bags to the sides of the base (little sand bags). Or a weighted blanket maybe. Or maybe just duck tape myself in. I'll think of something. How do you not have the stability problem with the aristo, with it sitting directly on your lap? I would think it would move a bit too? But yes, it does flip over.

I swear there should be a business where they have stuff to try out. You go for a day, or as long as you need (in the case of a new mattress, for instance).
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

:lol: That's what physical shops used to be for, I vaguely remember back in the olden days. :lol: :idea:
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

The wobbles on my old stand was caused by the legs on which the frame was attached. It was difficult to tighten the bolts without destroying the threads!
Your frame choice looks more robust. Yes the aristo does wobble a bit on my lap, but as my frame is only 16" wide it's not a problem.