Choosing a hoop and frame help please

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Wise Owl

Choosing a hoop and frame help please

Post by Wise Owl »

Hi all, I would love some advice from your experiences to recommend a good hoop and frame to invest in please. :thinks:

So I’m leaning towards bamboo/wooden hoops, but I don’t want to dismiss something easier to use (Rheumatoid arthritis in hands).

There are so many frames to choose from! And instead of just buying loads and then not using them, which have you found you turn to and always use?

I like the idea of no sew - but I don’t want to compromise on tension. I have the elbesee easy clip 21x12 and I just can’t get enough tension. (Maybe I’m not doing it right, but the sides stay too floppy). And I’ve resorted to using a hoop for now.

For the frame, I’ve looked at Luca-S, Siesta, Millenium, Elbesee, Qsnap, symphony.

I’ll be using it with a Lowery work stand with a side clamp, but I can buy the frame adapter to accommodate for the larger size frame. :shifty:
🦉
WIP:
The Great Wave 🌊 - DMC British Museum
Christmas Stitch-a-long - Cross Stitcher magazine Part 2
2020 Complete:
Baby balloon- DMC
Thank you Floral card - The World of Cross Stitching Sep 2017
Yellow rose - Hobbycraft
Legend of the sea
Podolyanka

Re: Choosing a hoop and frame help please

Post by Podolyanka »

Try to stitch(cross stitch, to be exact) without hoops and frames. You will see how well your own arms and hands control the perfect tension. And no pain in the back, shoulders or wrists at that. Unless you are embroidering something like Mabel's designs. Those do need a hoop. But then I did know a couple of women who could do very complicated embroidery in hands too(to begin with, they would not be able to put a shirt's long sleeve into a hoop anyway). With arthritis(I know this not from literature), additional weight (hoop) on hands and forced position of the body (stand) make things worse. But then each to his own.
Last edited by Podolyanka on Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lyudmila
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I use Q-snaps a lot. (There is a British make, too, but can't remember the name at the moment.) They are interchangeable, so it's possible to make different sizes up, and the grips on the sides sound a lot better than Elbesee easy clips. You can also tighten them when they do get slack by putting them in hot water, although I've never needed to tried this. I also use the usual rotating frames, hoops, etc, depending on the design.

If you want drum-tight tension, then either a slate frame or some form of art frame with drawing pins or stretcher bars (see, for example,here). If you are prepared to wait, there's always the millennium frame and other seem this supplier.
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

Podolyanka wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:55 am Try to stitch(cross stitch, to be exact) without hoops and frames. You will see how well your own arms and hands control the perfect tension. And no pain in the back, shoulders or wrists at that. Unless you are embroidering something like Mabel's designs. Those do need a hoop. But then I did know a couple of women who could do very complicated embroidery in hands too(to begin with, they would not be able to put a shirt's long sleeve into a hoop anyway). With arthritis(I know this not from literature), additional weight (hoop) on hands and forced position of the body (stand) make things worse. But then each to his own.
Hi Podolyanka,
Thanks for that info, I did try to cross stitch in hand, for the reasons you’ve stated. It was really nice and I was happy with this, but my wrists were in pain, maybe from the technique I was using? So I can only manage a little bit everyday day.
When I’m using the hoop in stand, there is less strain and movement in the wrist so that seems to help. I agree holding a hoop in hand wasn’t great for me either. :tizzy:
And also agree a stand can make it worse, I just have to be careful how I set it up for the day.
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

Serinde wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:29 am I use Q-snaps a lot. (There is a British make, too, but can't remember the name at the moment.) They are interchangeable, so it's possible to make different sizes up, and the grips on the sides sound a lot better than Elbesee easy clips. You can also tighten them when they do get slack by putting them in hot water, although I've never needed to tried this. I also use the usual rotating frames, hoops, etc, depending on the design.

If you want drum-tight tension, then either a slate frame or some form of art frame with drawing pins or stretcher bars (see, for example,here). If you are prepared to wait, there's always the millennium frame and other seem this supplier.
Hi Serinde,
Thanks for this info I will look into the Q snaps Uk alternative and the stretcher frame. I just wanted to invest a good brand that like you said is interchangeable and is good quality.
I do like the look of the millennium frame, but with the long wait, I will need something in the mean time! :)

What rotating frame do you have?
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

I bought a q snap type frame, by Sew easy. It’s really light and easy to place the fabric.
My stand can hold this in a nice position for me to work so I’m happy. At the moment it’s holding the Great wave, I will send pictures tomorrow.
I am looking at the millennium frame - can the lowery stand handle the weight of this frame?
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Yes it can, unless it's a very big one, and it may need a little prop under the unsupported side. I made a Meccano prop for mine :-) But on the whole it's stable and comfortable.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Mabel Figworthy

This is the prop in place:

This is the prop on its own (well, with cat):

I haven't got a pic that shows the prop and the full set-up, but it goes where in this picture the temporary-it-will-do-tray solution is :-)

WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

That is good to know. At least when I'm ready for the next project I can have a good frame for it.

What size frame is that your using in the photos? It probably won't be much larger than that imagine, I need it to fit a project with a cloth size of 12x14.5 inches, the finished project size 7x9.5 inches. I have four kits to do in the same size, which is why I would like a frame to nicely show the whole project while I work on it. I could get a away with using a 10 inch hoop, and adjusting/moving that around?

Aw how cute, who is the little beauty posing with the meccano? lol

A thrifty and smart solution Mabel, nice one. I know some people have bought a second lowery to hold the other side, but that won't be a viable solution for my current seating situation just yet.
Mabel Figworthy

A second Lowery is a lot more expensive than some Meccano :shock: :shock: :lol:

The helpful feline in the picture is our rescue cat Lexi, she is very sociable and always inspects all my stash and projects, liberally covering them in cat fur.

My Millennium frame is 16" wide and I've got the up-to-10" side stretchers; if I bought it again I'd get slightly longer stretchers (I might order a pair, actually!). I stitched the smaller Tree of Life on it, which had a design size of about 18cm (a little over 7") square.

Hope that helps!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

Aww she’s lovely!