Pets of the community

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

richardandtracy

Pets of the community

Post by richardandtracy »

I thought as so many of us have non-human members in their families, it might be interesting to kick off a little thread about 'Pets of the Community' with a photo of my monsters, preparing for a busy day.

The weather is getting colder, so, obviously the cats have a busy day ahead doing lots of hard sleeping.
At the head of the bed is Squeaky (black & white). At the foot on the left is Ozzie, a Maine Coon, and on the right is Rooster, a 7/8 Maine Coon.

Don't often see the cats in the same room because Ozzie is usually in the garden zooming about looking for things to kill, slaughter, dismember, play with and eat, and Rooster is often un the conservatory on his back, tummy in the air snoring. So, to see them curled up on the same bed is lovely.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Pets of the community

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

That's a lovely picture, Richard! I will go and dig out a good one of Lexi, but first I couldn't resist sharing this one with you :-)

Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Mabel Figworthy

Here is our Lexi, once in her roll as Office Cat and once posing as a garden ornament:

WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

Mabel,

Lexi is Gorgeous.
Mabel Figworthy wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:46 am That's a lovely picture, Richard! I will go and dig out a good one of Lexi, but first I couldn't resist sharing this one with you :-)

Ohh Boy.
Maine Coons can be huge. Ozzie was the runt of the litter, so he's merely a 'Very Large Cat' as opposed to a HUGE cat when he stretches out. Yesterday evening he was on Orianna's straight out legs. He stretched a bit, hooked his front claws into her big toes and stretched out to get more room by kicking his back paws into her bladder. She's 5'7" (1.70m) tall, so the cat was the full length of her legs and stretched out feet. That's not a small cat even if he is the runt of the litter...

Regards,

Richard.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:wub:
We don't have a furry friend to share our life with at the moment. Once in our bungalow the plan is to find a rescue dog.
Love looking at every one else's fluffy friends though. :whoop:
fccs

Post by fccs »

This is Jackson, snoozing by the fireplace. I call him my recycled cat because my kids (son and d-i-l) rescued him in Montana. A few years later they decided he would be happier in a dog free home so I took him. Don’t let the curled up sleeping boy fool you...he’s a handful. He’s very busy, very vocal, and into everything. It’s like having a four footed toddler in the house. And he thinks he’s a dog, probably because he was raised with dogs. He (usually) comes when called, and carries his toys around in his mouth.

And these are my grand-dogs, Ryder and Minny. They especially loved the walk this day as it was snowing. (This was taken on Thanksgiving up in Cheyenne, Wy.)

Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
richardandtracy

Debby, love Jackson, he looks gorgeous. But then all cats with fur do (don't like those poor bald ones, just so wrong).

I do have one question about the grand-dogs. How?!? How do they stay that white? My parents' GSD's were always getting in the mud & muck and had they been white, they'd have looked grubby or slightly yellow all the time.

Regards

Richard.
Mabel Figworthy

Love Jackson's pose :-)
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

This is Rosey (official name is The Black Rose, based on the character from Thomas Costain's novel of that name. Very good historical novel and a really bad movie. Tyrone Power - if anyone remembers him - playing a medieval Saxon) when I first brought her home. Actually about a week after I brought her home. She spent the first two days under the cedar chest in my bedroom.
A close up of her face :
and sitting next to me supervising me on the computer

Those are fairly old photos as I've had her for a year and a half now. I have lots more, but for some reason unknown to me right now, can't upload them but she keeps me on my toes.

Carole
:kitty:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mabel Figworthy

Rosey has lovely eyes!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

Oh Rose looks absolutely gorgeous.

Regards,

Richard
fccs

Post by fccs »

This is a fun thread; I love seeing everyone’s critters. Aren’t we lucky that they allow us to share their homes? :-)

richardandtracy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:52 am Debby, love Jackson, he looks gorgeous. But then all cats with fur do (don't like those poor bald ones, just so wrong).

I do have one question about the grand-dogs. How?!? How do they stay that white? My parents' GSD's were always getting in the mud & muck and had they been white, they'd have looked grubby or slightly yellow all the time.

Regards

Richard.
Richard, I think Jackson has some Maine Coon in him. He’s got the furry toes, distinctive meows similar to Maine Coons, and the Maine Coon tendency to hide things. (A very good friend had MC’s...fun kitties).

The grand-dogs stay white by magic. That’s the only answer because they are not bathed weekly or even monthly, but are brushed often. The floor can look like it’s snow-covered after a good brushing, but luckily it’s almost like wool so it’s easy to pick up. Their double-coat probably helps keep them clean. (They had been groomed a month or so prior to the picture.)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Roland

Post by Roland »

I think this thread needs to be used.

No pic right now, but a funny story.

Midnight Skye still stays upstairs. Last night we had a massive storm. About 35 cm of snow in under 10 hours, and snow thunder and lightening. Skye was sitting on my windowsill watching it all.

Usually when I go upstairs she comes into the hall and “talks” to me and rubs against my legs. But last night was different. She came into the hall and “talked” but her meows were different and throughout it she kept arching her back…like a Halloween cat. I really think she was trying to tell me about the scary noise and flashing light. She did not seem scared though.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

We certainly do share a lot about our pets. Sounds like Skye is really learning to trust you. Some animals are certified by storms. Worst I ever had was Shirley. We found her in all sorts of strange hiding places. Best was when she called inside a pillow case to get all the way to the back of the pillow. By the middle of spring she would start slinking down and looking for a place to hide if it would drizzle. Just in case the drizzle turned into a storm. Rosey isn't concerned about storms at all. Though if its really bad she tends to stay close. Skye may have been letting you know the weather is really bad and you need to stay indoors. never know with a feline.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

My friends fly wild in my garden:

They fly up and chatter to me while I sit at my garden table - probably complaining about the type of food I am putting out for them. They poop on my car if I wash it. The robins follow me into the greenhouse and sheds and they constantly inspect the quality of my gardening - I know if I am doing well because I am serenaded from a couple of feet above my head (Yes I wear a cap :roll: ).

Some of the friendliest characters are the chaffinches:

Needless to say the cats, red Kites and Sparrow Hawks :tantrum: are not welcome.

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Great photos of your wild friends. I love that they are so trusting of you.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Roland

Post by Roland »

Great pictures.

I have a picture of my grandson holding a young bird from a nest on his veranda. DGS was 3 at the time.
fccs

Post by fccs »

Look at those birds! the picture reminds me of a beautiful cross stitch chart I’ve seen (Dimensions?).
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Mabel Figworthy

Lexi contemplating whether to go out for the day.
The answer was no :lol:

WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

That looks like the best way to observe snow :wink:

My Robins have been flying under my old car on route to the bushes but during the snow melt they took to flying over it because they did not appreciate the cold wet drips landing on them as they came out the other side.

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine