2021 Quick Daily Posts

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

wendywombat

Re: 2021 Quick Daily Posts

Post by wendywombat »

This situation is beyond comprehension!! If someone refuses help as your FIL has been doing for many years BUT has been known to Metal Health and passed back and forth between GP and mental health is Tragic and Uncaring by both those so-called Caring Bodies!!

Your frustration and anger is completely understandable but sadly I cannot give anything else other than what has been already suggested. Your local MP may be able to help, District nurse also.

My late father had been diagnosed with Dementia several years before I was told. His GP blanked me and just quoted 'Patient Confidentiality' and I had to fight to get information.
It took a complete collapse and ambulances called several times before anything was done.

I know that this doesn't help you as he lived in Hampshire. Different Health Authorities have different policies.

As Serinde and Mabel have said....anytime that you want to Vent, please do so.
You and Tracy are in my thoughts....I wish I could come and Rant and protest LOUDLY on your behalf locally for you. :liontamper: :liontamper:
:hug: :hug:
Last edited by wendywombat on Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

In response to Serinde's comment earlier: I don't know if it is a funding problem, a people problem, a Brexit effect or it's simply that the managers can't or won't manage.

Round here, after Brexit, we certainly have had a diminution in the amount of East European languages spoken on the high street, and it is now possible to hear some English spoken in areas where it was entirely absent (eg building sites, farms & some streets in town).
In November 2018, one Friday afternoon, I walked up the High Street and noticed the languages spoken between couples (a couple being two people talking with each other, male-male, male-female or female-female). I heard clearly enough with 8 couples as I walked by, of those 1 spoke English, 1 spoke an Indian sub-continent language, and 6 spoke East European languages. I repeated my unscientific observation at about the same time on a Friday afternoon last month, and could guess at 9 conversations. 5 spoke English and 4 spoke an Eastern European language. We've also had the town's two 'Polish Food' shops change their names to 'European Food' shops. Anecdotally, talking to parents, the schools now only have to cope with 1 non-English speaker per class rather than 2 or 3 just a few years ago.
There is still pressure on housing, but it doesn't feel as bad as it was.
All very unscientific, I know, but I'm trying to set the scene.

With regards to the NHS & numbers of non-UK origin people working for it. I am not sure. Round here we've always seemed to have had a lot of nursing staff from Nigeria, Thailand & S Africa and Doctors from the Indian Subcontinent & Nigeria (actually, I don't know of a UK origin GP in the borough - there may be, just don't know of them and I know of 10 GP's). I think I have only ever met one person from Continental Europe in the local bits of the NHS I've had contact with over the years (GP's, Maternity, A&E, Cardiovascular, Opthalmic, Osteopathy, ENT, Physiotherapy, Imaging & Mental Health). That lone European was a fantastic Midwife from the Netherlands who came to the UK because she believed in analgesia during childbirth and said it was highly unusual in the Netherlands.

Money. Ah yes money to the NHS.
Never enough.
But, I would like to consider something, as comparisons between nations can be interesting.
In 2018 the NHS was suffering 'funding cuts' and nowhere enough money. At that point France seemed to have relatively fewer problems in its health system than the UK. So, one would assume that the French levels of funding were much higher. Double maybe? Maybe that's too much, but there seems to have been a fair difference in quality difference between the two health care systems.
So, let's look at the actual spend per head in 2018. I dug out an EU comparison chart.
France: 3969 Euros per person.
UK: 3646 Euros per person.
(https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/produ ... 20201202-1)
Is that 320 Euro per person per year enough to pay for the difference in quality between the French & British systems, or is there a value for money, management & efficiency problem in the NHS? I think the latter. Possibly driven by the fact the civil service has such a close oversight that the managers cannot try to make their little area better without interference.

Ah well. All this is speculation & doesn't help a particular case at all.

We are going to do what we can and will keep doing so.
But go to our MP? Oh no. Not a chance.
At least this one lives in the constituency, unlike the last who had a divorce & left the constituency & refused to tell anyone where he lived. In the last full five year Parliament our MP's name was recorded 4 times in Hansard - the only place where I can get evidence of their work. Politicians say lots, but evidence trumps everything. Two of those records were when he was being referred to by other members in a debate. So, he spoke in the house twice in 5 years. <sarcasm> Yeah. Those are the actions of someone who is utterly dedicated to the welfare of his constituents. </sarcasm>

Regards,

Richard.
Last edited by richardandtracy on Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

Sounds awful :cry: .

Social care is the responsibility of the County Counsel. Have you involved them? They have online facilities to report a concern about both children and adults. Your FIL cannot refuse a Social Care assessment.

Your MP's office should be able to help "unstick it" for you. If they ignore it then send your request for help to the opposition parties telling them that the MP failed to help.

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
richardandtracy

We have had a County Council assessment, and my FIL is coming to the end of the 6 weeks half hour morning and evening free care provided by the council.

My FIL will certainly have to pay when the 6 weeks comes to an end - we accept it. FIL rages against the thieves who want to steal everything. My parents in law's finances are going to cause us grief too - their finances are somewhat fractured at the moment (understatement warning) and finding all the accounts & savings books we suspect they have is proving difficult. They have details of accounts everywhere from the garage to the shed to the livingroom, bedroom & diningroom.
But, my FIL really needs to be in a care home where he can be looked after as & when he needs, so the problems are evolving out of our control almost as fast as we think we can get them sorted.

If we can get him into a home, hopefully things will settle down for a while and we can concentrate on giving the person who really needs it all our love, care and attention, my MIL.

Regards,

Richard
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I hope you are able to find a placement for FIL soon. :x:
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Good luck finding their account details!

Been there done that looking for the Deeds and financial paraphernalia for my dad!!
My ears are still ringing from when the solicitor handling the sale of dad's house shouted "success" when we finally found the Deeds!! :shock:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Off to a funeral this grey and wet morning. She was a long-standing member of both the Embroiderers' Guild and our new stitching group -- not to mention being in charge of refreshments, upon which all embroiderers depend. Lovely, sweet lady.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Thining of you Serinde - I hope it is as uplifting an occasion as thse things can be, with many happy memories.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Mabel Figworthy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:45 am Thining of you Serinde - I hope it is as uplifting an occasion as thse things can be, with many happy memories.
It's never easy saying 'goodbye' to a friend, especially at this time of year.
Remember the good times you had together, she will had added so much to your Group over the years.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

wendywombat wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:04 am
Mabel Figworthy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:45 am Thining of you Serinde - I hope it is as uplifting an occasion as thse things can be, with many happy memories.
It's never easy saying 'goodbye' to a friend, especially at this time of year.
Remember the good times you had together, she will had added so much to your Group over the years.
Can't say it any better than these ladies have.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mabel Figworthy

Look who's back home :-)

WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:whoop: :whoop: Welcome Home!! 8)
When do you get an assessment from the Examiners?
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Even more beautiful than I remembered!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mabel Figworthy

wendywombat wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:15 pm :whoop: :whoop: Welcome Home!! 8)
When do you get an assessment from the Examiners?
I've had the assessment already but it's been a few months since I posted about that and I haven't done the Assessing-the-assesment FoF yet - it was 88% Merit :-)
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

Tracy & I have had our COVID booster jabs. Me on Friday, Tracy last Wednesday. They knocked us both for six - me for 24 hours and Tracy for 72. Tracy still feels sick and has waves of heat wash through at irregular intervals. We reacted to the Astra Zeneca, so we were hoping the Pfizer booster would affect us less. Completely the opposite. Horrible.

However, we would rather have that than the disease that's killed 12 people we know.

Regards,

Richard.
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

Well done and good timing. The boosters take 7 days to be up to full effect so you will both be fully protected in time for Christmas.

My Sister was hesitant about getting her first two jabs (the doctor had to chase her as she was avoiding her 2nd) and reflected that onto her 18 year old son who has only just had his first jab last week.

For the last week I have been doing daily Lat flow tests as I seem to have picked up a cold but day 6 and its still showing up as not Covid :) But I am self isolating with my cross stitch :wink: just in case.

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Sorry you've had such a bad reaction to the vaccine, but also glad you've had your booster -- your experience with Covid in your community has been terrible. Roll on a Covid-lite New Year!
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:bandaid: :grouphug: I hope that you both get over these nasty symptoms ASAP. These jabs are Supposed to be giving us peace of mind and protection ,not make us wish that we'd never bothered!! :tizzy:
We had our boosters a few weeks back. Had the Astra Zeneca for the first and second and a nasty reaction for both of us!!
We were given the Pfizer for our booster, no reactions thankfully just an achy arm for 24 hrs. Although the Med centre here also gave us our 'flu jab at the same time...but in the other arm!! :shock: Result...Two Achy arms!! :lol:

D/H has a routine visit to Med Centre tomorrow and has been told to take Lat Flow test beforehand. We'd not taken one before so I guess it's going to be the New Norm!!
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Richard, I also hope you and Tracy soon get over the reaction to the booster. I had no reaction(other than a sore arm) to the first two jabs of Pfizer but the booster was different with a sorer arm and lots of fatigue for 24 hours, which is what most of the people I know experienced. Still so much better than getting really ill with Covid. I also had a really bad cold several weeks ago and took my temperature every day and did a Home test before I finally came out of my self imposed Quarantine. Not Covid :whoop: but with all these variants around, really want to be sure.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
richardandtracy

Going to take my youngest daughter to Canterbury for her booster tomorrow. We'll try to get my eldest in as a walk in jabbee then too. It's ridiculous, but our borough of 150,000 still has no walk in centres, and the majority of vaccination sites we're offered are in or around Southend (in Essex, an 80 mile drive away due to the Thames Estuary being in the way), where there are dozens compared to the very few we have here. Bookings for our two vacation sites in the local town are now all taken until February.

Thought I was reasonably recovered from the booster yesterday, until I went with Tracy to the carol service. Wearing a mask for over an hour led to pins & needles in my hands and feet, which disappeared quickly once I got outside and could safely take the mask off.

Another silly thing yesterday.
Our road is now 30mph all along, and there are a few spots where parked cars narrow it to 1 lane. Yesterday a local Transit van was screaming down the road at 55mph + (like it normally does) and was confronted by a bus in one of these narrow spots. To avoid total obliteration, the driver piled into a parked car. And pushed that across the narrow pavement into the living rooms of two 9" (22.5cm) thick brick built Victorian terraced houses, where it came to rest supporting the upstairs front wall of both houses - which sagged a bit. The house owners were more than a little shocked, but are pleased to have CCTV from both the bus and one house as backup evidence to show the level of idiocy shown by the van driver. The road was shut all daylight hours yesterday while the houses were shored up so they didn't come down once the car was extracted from its unexpected role as a front wall foundation in a pair of Victorian houses. The van driver had burns, abrasions and a bloody face from the airbag that probably saved his life.
Tracy talked to one of the householders, who said the van driver was going to have gone home with a bloody face even had he got out of the accident unscathed. He'd have made sure of it... Not a happy man.
The houses are shored up with steel props and plywood across the hole in the wall, but I doubt if they can be made properly habitable for Christmas. Poor sods.

Regards,

Richard.